Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OMG I love it

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've owned Porsches, plenty of BMWs and my new Tesla replaced my Merc SLK....I cannot get rid of the Tesla grin...I am incapable of putting words to describe my feeling, just incredible.

Parked my wife's Land Rover tonight (only a few months old) and there is no way I have a snow balls chance in hell of not being forced to order the X if she drives my S...I could think of worse things being forced to do ;-)

-ECIT

I've owned Porsches, plenty of BMWs and my new Tesla replaced my Merc SLK....I cannot get rid of the Tesla grin...I am incapable of putting words to describe my feeling, just incredible.

Parked my wife's Land Rover tonight (only a few months old) and there is no way I have a snow balls chance in hell of not being forced to order the X if she drives my S...I could think of worse things being forced to do ;-)

-ECIT

Some how I knew you would, congrats ECIT.

I stopped by to see my bud who was also my BMW sales guy when I first picked up my P85 in Feb. 2013. I'd been buying from him for over twenty years.
I put him in the drivers seat and we went for a drive. All he could say was "I understand".

It has been many years now and I can assure you the grin does not go away :)

My dream car was always an Aston. These days, when I see one, I still love the style and design, BUT it runs on petrol!! A bit like a really pretty girl, who then goes and ruins it by pulling out a cigarette!! Or showing her tatts.
So, no real interest anymore. Love the sheer smoothness and barely contained power in my car. Absolutely no desire for dual motor and probably would not specify it if ordering again now!

Ha ha! I love it. I still have a fond place in my heart for Astons. But I totally agree.

I just went to a gas station today for the first time in over a year to fill my gas can for my generator, then changed its oil and tuned it up. It hit me at just how nasty gas and oil are. I had to put the gas can in my Miss, which made me cringe!

My dream car was always an Aston. These days, when I see one, I still love the style and design, BUT it runs on petro!! A bit like a really pretty girl, who then goes and ruins it by pulling out a cigarette!! Or showing her tatts.

thanks Dborn, an interesting comment... If you would like to share, what would be your reason(s) for not wanting dual motors?
interested in your thoughts (I have ordered a 70 but I still have time before it goes into production to add dual).

Dual motor is a bit noisier than single motor, because the driver is so close to the front motor and can easily hear the whirring sound. Nowhere near as annoying as an ICE, of course, but sometimes I still wish it could be quieter.

thanks Dborn, an interesting comment... If you would like to share, what would be your reason(s) for not wanting dual motors?
interested in your thoughts (I have ordered a 70 but I still have time before it goes into production to add dual).

I would not want to lose the froot space that you do by having dual motors. I find every litre of luggage capacity useful for family road trips and Costco runs :)

I have an 85 and am sometimes alarmed by the way the back skips on rough road under full acceleration. Also dual provides better range on the highway.
But no problems - I always want that little more...

Hi Nickdp

Mine is a 70 (not D) and I'm loving it....I too prefer just rear wheel drive and since I'm not interested in 0-100 speeds and will not do long trips all that often I just went a 70 with a bunch of the options I thought I'd like the most.

Get a 70 if you don't need the extra range.

-ECIT

My dream car was always an Aston. These days, when I see one, I still love the style and design, BUT it runs on petrol!! A bit like a really pretty girl, who then goes and ruins it by pulling out a cigarette!! Or showing her tatts.
So, no real interest anymore. Love the sheer smoothness and barely contained power in my car. Absolutely no desire for dual motor and probably would not specify it if ordering again now!
1. Congrats, EcoCloudIT- I LOVE my Model S. It's only a car, but, given that, it's freaking fantastic. I smile a lot.
2. Good to see everyone shares the same feelings - the car has many faults, but the good bits massively outweigh the bad bits :)
3. (In passing, while I'm posting: LOL @ all the dufuses on the main forum who whinge and moan and threaten legal action every time the software gets changed a bit- unbelievable. Like a bunch of teenagers...)
4. I saw a pale blue AstonMartin this morning, Dborn- your post puts into words exactly how I felt- beautifully said!!!
Imagine a Model S that was as pretty inside and out as a DB9 - wow, wow, wow....

Last edited:
I have an 85 and am sometimes alarmed by the way the back skips on rough road under full acceleration. Also dual provides better range on the highway.
But no problems - I always want that little more...

I’m alarmed that you’re putting pedal to metal on those rough country Queensland roads Ray :0 They’re pretty rough around here too and I can’t imagine going even close to half throttle on the P85D (in Sport mode).

BTW some people love the growl of a V8, I love the whirl of a P85D :)

Do you drive anywhere that requires the traction control of all wheel drive? If you do, dual motor is for you. Do you want to track your car? Ditto. If you don't fit those two categories, why waste your money? The rear wheel drive car ( non P), is incredibly powerful, accelerates freely and with surprising lightness including going uphill, so why do you need the additional hp? Perhaps I can't corner as fast as with all wheel drive, I don't know, but either way, my wife would not tolerate it, she doesn't like the acceleration I already have!!
If single motor is phased out by the end of this year as rumored, then obviously I would take dual motor. Certainly, I would not seek it out though!

Totally understandable DB, especially if the wife has anything to do with it. Having said that, here are some more reasons why dual motors are beneficial:

1.Torque sleep - allows for improved efficiencies & longer range. Apparently torque sleep is now implemented on RWD cars in 7.0, although not sure how that works in concert with regen, maybe only when idling in traffic? Also note that the model with the longest range is the 90D…by a fair margin over the RWD 90…532 km vs 560 km. That’s a 5.2% increase, almost as much as increasing the battery from 85 to 90 kWh.

2. Redundancy - ok not a huge consideration due to the reliability of the drivetrain but it has been mentioned (by Elon from memory), should one of the motors shut down for any reason, the other will take over, negating the need for a flatbed ride to the service centre.

3. Motor sound in the cabin - ok already mentioned but that’s a positive for me and can’t figure why it could even be considered a negative :)

4. Tire wear - more even wear distribution?

5. There must be more…maybe not.

Have to say, since ver 7 my consumption seems to have gone up a by a bit rather than down, if torque sleep is having an effect. I do drive mostly for range rather than performance, so I find that fact a bit frustrating.
Also, what are people getting typical range when charging to 90%? My figure is 349 km which, judging from the US web site seems low.