Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm trusting that Tesla is going to get us our cars before September 10. That might be the other trick they are pulling. They might realize that if they option Tesla as eligible again, then they might start rolling out cars ASAP to Ontario. If they wait until early September to make Tesla eligible again, that really cuts down on the time in which Tesla can get cars to us.

IMO there is no more hope for adding Tesla to the rebates. This govt has done much worse things than do away with rebates for a 70k+ car as was discussed (by me and many others in the previous ~100 pages), the optics of adding Tesla back are horrible. I think to be honest the fine folks on this forum are the only ones that care. I don't think many Volt/Leaf/etc owners are screaming to Tesla's defense.

Plus, the govt is doing way worse things to the education system and other social pilot programs and targeting Toronto city council seats. People just dont care much about EV rebates, much less Tesla owners 'out' 14k on a 75k+ car....sorry, that's just the truth we all have to start accepting it seems.

It took me quite a while to find the CTV story that ran tonight on their website...why? because the other stories were people getting killed, narrowly avoiding accidents, political issues in the states, Musk saying he wants to take Tesla public....etc, etc. The EV story is (I'm sorry to say) just not interesting news.

It was a 2 minute segment that was accurate, but the whole tone of it was 'oh well, what's done is done, I'm going to get a refund for my car, and/or put in my contract I want a refund if I can't get the rebate'. At no point do they say 'hey, we need these rebates back, and while you are at it also add those very deserving Tesla owners back into the program as well!'....just not going to happen.

Last edited:
I believe you're right, but I'm not sure how that makes certain that it's a cabinet-level decision. If it was that cut and dry, you'd think by now that the Ombudsman would get back to us with an answer. So either the MTO/MFO are basically ignoring them/stalling because they're trying to screw over people who are withholding cancellations with the hopes that the Ombudsman can do something, OR the MTO/MFO are ignoring them/stalling because they would have to comply and include Tesla in the rebate, and they're trying to get as many people to cancel ahead of that as possible.

Disclaimer, I have no idea what I'm talking about.
My reasoning is that because he was aware of the case and was able to articulate a hard line, that the decision was very much a top-down decision from Ford’s cabinet rather than a bureaucratic one originating from within the MTO/MFO.

Tomorrow morning, I'm
IMO there is no more hope for adding Tesla to the rebates. This govt has done much worse things than do away with rebates for a 70k+ car as was discussed (by me and many others in the previous ~100 pages), the optics of adding Tesla back are horrible. I think to be honest the fine folks on this forum are the only ones that care. I don't think many Volt/Leaf/etc owners are screaming to Tesla's defense.

Plus, the govt is doing way worse things to the education system and other social pilot programs and targeting Toronto city council seats. People just dont care much about EV rebates, much less Tesla owners 'out' 14k on a 75k+ car....sorry, that's just the truth we all have to start accepting it seems.

It took me quite a while to find the CTV story that ran tonight on their website...why? because the other stories were people getting killed, narrowly avoiding accidents, political issues in the states, Musk saying he wants to take Tesla public....etc, etc. The EV story is (I'm sorry to say) just not interesting news.

It was a 2 minute segment that was accurate, but the whole tone of it was 'oh well, what's done is done, I'm going to get a refund for my car, and/or put in my contract I want a refund if I can't get the rebate'. At no point do they say 'hey, we need these rebates back, and while you are at it also add those very deserving Tesla owners back into the program as well!'....just not going to happen.

It's not a matter of the government doing something to please us, or because there's been negative press, or a public outcry. If they violated codes or procedures in how they have conducted this rebate cancellation, then they may be obligated to make corrections. The fact that the Ombudsman has been on this for two weeks and know nothing definitive, again, leads me to two conclusions: they're stringing the Ombudsman along to hurt us when it's too late to cancel our orders, or they're stringing the Ombudsman along because they know they'll have to make that correction. It's one of the two. Either way, they're stringing the Ombudsman along for some reason.

Incidentally, I am being called tomorrow morning by a lawyer at Tesla. If I am given permission to do so, I will share some of the details of our conversation.

Tomorrow morning, I'm

It's not a matter of the government doing something to please us, or because there's been negative press, or a public outcry. If they violated codes or procedures in how they have conducted this rebate cancellation, then they may be obligated to make corrections. The fact that the Ombudsman has been on this for two weeks and know nothing definitive, again, leads me to two conclusions: they're stringing the Ombudsman along to hurt us when it's too late to cancel our orders, or they're stringing the Ombudsman along because they know they'll have to make that correction. It's one of the two. Either way, they're stringing the Ombudsman along for some reason.

Incidentally, I am being called tomorrow morning by a lawyer at Tesla. If I am given permission to do so, I will share some of the details of our conversation.
Good luck!!!

Reactions: jkirkwood001
As someone who's been waiting for the Model 3 to drop closer to its $35K USD price tag, I feel like I can drop my expectation for the Ontario rebates, but what about federal rebates? Aren't federal rebates in place?

Not in Canada. It's debatable as to whether or not it might happen. From my perspective, it seems that EV rebates, as well as Cap and Trade, are a hot-button issue right now. Federally, CBC has the Liberal government projected to retain power, although there is a good chance that theirs will be a minority government. I feel that the Liberals are unlikely to create a federal rebate if it will just turn into an attack point by the Tories.

Reactions: adaptabl
Not in Canada. It's debatable as to whether or not it might happen. From my perspective, it seems that EV rebates, as well as Cap and Trade, are a hot-button issue right now. Federally, CBC has the Liberal government projected to retain power, although there is a good chance that theirs will be a minority government. I feel that the Liberals are unlikely to create a federal rebate if it will just turn into an attack point by the Tories.
Agreed.

Any word from the Tesla lawyers?

Also - spoke with the Ombudsman’s office and apparently they’re expecting the MTO to get back to those people who had written-in to [email protected] pretty soon. Actually, he was kind of surprised that no one had yet gotten back to me. He also asked me to send him whatever they send me. Just FYI.

Yeah, I’ve been asking every day when the “new forms” will be posted to even get the rebate as there are none on the site currently. The MTO keeps saying “coming soon “. Pretty sure that’s something that needs to be rectified as there’s only about a month left. It really feels like they’re trying to not allow you to even receive it if you are eligible.

My MPP sent me this email today:

I went across the aisle and spoke directly to the minister of transportation today, under whose purview this falls. He is knowledgeable about the issue but completely unsympathetic.

They have made a calculated decision to support dealers on the ground that those people invest money and resources into a business, but they don’t support Tesla because Tesla doesn’t use dealers and doesn’t make their cars in Canada. They have decided that the people like you who bought a Tesla would have done it regardless of the rebate and that if you don’t want the car now that there is no rebate, you should press Tesla to give you the deposit back. He said there is zero chance of their changing their minds. They literally don’t care about the broken contracts any more than they care about other contracts they have broken.

I’m so sorry to have bad news and I hope the Ombudsman has better news for you,

It’s so frustrating.....

Isn't this guy the Minister of Transportation?

Contact | John Yakabuski, MPP - Working For You

Has anyone tried contacting him directly?

Yeah, I’ve been asking every day when the “new forms” will be posted to even get the rebate as there are none on the site currently. The MTO keeps saying “coming soon “. Pretty sure that’s something that needs to be rectified as there’s only about a month left. It really feels like they’re trying to not allow you to even receive it if you are eligible.

I have a blank pdf of the old form which I intend to use (see attached).

Attachments

• Rebate Application Blank.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 38
I ended up purchasing a Ford Fusion Energi. Not the Tesla I wanted but at $30,000 fully loaded after the $7,000 rebate (taken off at dealer) it was just a better financial decision then the $65,100 for a Tesla. Will be my first step into the EV world.

We are going Friday to make a final decision on the same car. My wife has to like it as it will be hers. The one I have deposit on, list for $39K and has a final price of $24K plus taxes (Inc. 7K Ont. rebate). The only issue I see is the trunk, of lack of one. The batteries take up 60% of the space.

Hi again, folks.

I'm trying to gather some more specifics to send along to the Ombudsman, among others.

Does anyone know the names of the people who were personally reassured through communication with @fordnation that their orders would be honoured? I've seen four such messages. If you happen to know of any others, I would love to have that information as well.

I'm also wondering who, besides me, called the MTO the day after the cancellation and were reassured that Tesla was still eligible for a rebate. I know a few of us were.

Please let me know - if you don't want to publish names to the message board, please message me privately. Thanks!