Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom braking still an issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see almost all of Phantom Braking complaints are in Right Hand drive countries! Overtaking on the right may confuse the system as the bulk of the car is to the left of the driver!!! Wouldn't be the only American to be confused.

It is real which I will capture on camera. Travel restrictions prevent more research.
None of the suggested causes were seen during the braking.

surely it can’t be that simple. Mind you they say the smartest people often lack common sense

IMO it is quite possible that correct operation (from Tesla's design perspective) for example when overtaking could apply slowing that the driver regards as excessive but Tesla would deem 'normal'.

There’s a big difference between a safe speed adjustment and an inappropriate and dangerous emergency braking event. I can only assume you’ve never experienced this to be able to say that it may be operating as Tesla intended

Reactions: SalisburySam
I can only assume you’ve never experienced this to be able to say that it may be operating as Tesla intended

I've experienced hard slamming on of brakes and more gradual application. I have seen the TACC / set speed indicator change as I passed motorway junctions, I've seen TACC speed revert to the wrong speed after a string of speed changes. Sudden hard braking coming out of a tunnel, going under bridges / sign gantries and overtaking curtain side lorries especially.

It is hard for every post to include all your posting history as context.

Tesla seem inclined to try and claim stuff works fine / within limits. Hence:

slowing that the driver regards as excessive but Tesla would deem 'normal'.

I'm not suggesting that anything about phantom braking is normal. I am suggesting Tesla might try and say by some warped reasoning it is normal.

Reactions: Wol747
I see almost all of Phantom Braking complaints are in Right Hand drive countries! Overtaking on the right may confuse the system as the bulk of the car is to the left of the driver!!! Wouldn't be the only American to be confused.

Plenty of people in the US suffer from it, they complain about it often.

In the US the situation is exactly reversed with the bulk of the car in the right. There's no practical difference other than that.

It is real which I will capture on camera. Travel restrictions prevent more research.
None of the suggested causes were seen during the braking.
I’m pretty sure Bjorn has complained about phantom breaking on a regular basis. Sadly, this appears to be a common theme.

I’m pretty sure Bjorn has complained about phantom breaking on a regular basis. Sadly, this appears to be a common theme.

He has indeed. I was watching one of his video's yesterday, a trip to the far north of Norway somewhere. He was chatting away about something unrelated, had a phantom braking event, and just over-rode it, with the only interruption being him saying something like "oh, no, phantom braking". I think this is just baked in to the way the car behaves now, and seems unlikely to change until there is some sort of major revision to autopilot. If it only affected autopilot then I'd not be that bothered by it, it's the way it, and other false threat detections, affect TACC that I find irritating. If we just had the option for dumb cruise control it would be retrograde step in some ways, but far more useful in others.

Reactions: Wol747
It’s a while ago now, but I think TACC was pretty good on my AP2.5 car until they introduced the monitoring of other lanes. I think it was when autopilot started checking for other vehicles cutting in to your lane that the phantom braking got bad. Before that, I only remember occasional phantom braking with bridges etc.

When overtaking trucks, they regularly jump in the visualisation from the left lane to the middle lane. I wonder if the cameras aren’t sufficiently wide angle.

I’ve also noticed how cars seem to drift in their lane in the visualisation as you approach them and start to overtake (or they overtake you). I wonder if it’s when the different cameras get a view of the car: B pillar to front wide-angle, for example

When overtaking trucks, they regularly jump in the visualisation from the left lane to the middle lane. I wonder if the cameras aren’t sufficiently wide angle.

Having seen similar on a FSD city streets beta with parked cars not in the correct place, I have a theory about that.

FSD Beta Videos (and questions for FSD Beta drivers)

I am thinking that it may occur as the vehicles transitions pout of view of the normal front camera, and into view of the fisheye. The curved trajectory of the moving vehicle could be matching the curvature of the fisheye lens.

Last edited:

I see this a lot too. I've only had the car for about a month and I am already beginning to predict when TACC is going to brake unnecessarily (I've only had pretty moderate braking events so far). I suspect it would work just fine if you could disable monitoring of other lanes.

I see this a lot too. I've only had the car for about a month and I am already beginning to predict when TACC is going to brake unnecessarily (I've only had pretty moderate braking events so far). I suspect it would work just fine if you could disable monitoring of other lanes.

I don't think this is the only reason - I and many others have had PBs in all sorts of environments that in no way could have been due to that.
One place I always seem to get them is on a motorway 50Km South, even when I'm the only car in sight. No bridge, nothing unusual.

Reactions: Battpower
I don't think this is the only reason - I and many others have had PBs in all sorts of environments that in no way could have been due to that.
One place I always seem to get them is on a motorway 50Km South, even when I'm the only car in sight. No bridge, nothing unusual.

Interesting. Guess I have more to ‘look forward to’ then. Let’s hope they sort it with the big update!

Had my car a little over two weeks now and had this braking occur twice on separate occasions. Worst one was yesterday heading north on the M40 (apologies to the BMW driver who must have been as scared as I was! ) when I overtook the BMW whilst on autopilot then indicated to pull back in and moved across the lane lines the car effectively slammed on the brakes. How I didn't end up sideways and be hit by the BMW I've no idea but that could have been a really serious incident. As far as I can tell the car is fully up to date and otherwise working fine. Very wary of autopilot now.

Had my car a little over two weeks now and had this braking occur twice on separate occasions. Worst one was yesterday heading north on the M40 (apologies to the BMW driver who must have been as scared as I was! ) when I overtook the BMW whilst on autopilot then indicated to pull back in and moved across the lane lines the car effectively slammed on the brakes. How I didn't end up sideways and be hit by the BMW I've no idea but that could have been a really serious incident. As far as I can tell the car is fully up to date and otherwise working fine. Very wary of autopilot now.

Make sure you're well past any vehicle before pulling back across in front of them, significantly more so that you would do "naturally". That should significantly reduce the risk of that scenario happening again.

Make sure you're well past any vehicle before pulling back across in front of them, significantly more so that you would do "naturally". That should significantly reduce the risk of that scenario happening again.
When you're using the "full" (present) autopilot function and it makes lane changes on its own it doesn't pull back in for what seems an age: it's totally different to what drivers expect and do.

Was this using EAP or FSD's auto lane change or were you doing the lane change manually?

I drove from Manchester to Portsmouth a couple of weeks ago. Most of the journey had autopilot and TACC engaged.

While the general drive was pleasant and enjoyable enough, half a dozen times, both ways were nothing short of bloody dangerous.

For seemingly no reason the car just slams on the brakes. You could be in the fast lane doing 70mph when this happens totally out of the blue. Sometimes it happens when over-taking. Sometimes when changing lanes and sometimes with absolutely nothing around at all including bridges or shadows.

It is wholeheartedly inexcusable for this to be happening so often. I’m in the 5th year of my 2nd Tesla and this has never ever gotten any better. If anything it’s even more violent then before.

Maybe radar and vision are conflicting, maybe not.

I wouldn’t bet more than a few pounds that this will ever get fixed.