Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom braking still an issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was testing out TACC along the 30 mph on the way to pick up the tiddler from nursery. Cruising along quite nicely until we went past a delivery van that was parked slightly further out from the other parked cars. Car decided to panic and slam on the anchors when we were alongside. Bit late by then, I think. It does show the serious limitations of using a vision system with no memory, analysing each frame in isolation. The front camera clearly saw the van from a while back, but I’m guessing as soon as it came into view of the side repeaters it thought it was a new obstacle and panicked. Fingers crossed the big new update, which should have constantly updated probabilities is a big improvement.

• When a passenger is presentI don't use Autopilot on a road I haven't driven previously.
  • I never use Autopilot when my wife is present (has scared her witless on a couple of occasions)
  • I do use Autopilot on parts of longer motorway journeys and some dual carriageways when alone & it's mostly very good.
  • On any section where the car had previously applied sudden braking, I no longer activate it (eg A14 near Cambridge)
  • When I do use Autopilot I keep my foot just above the accelerator at all times, this isn't particularly comfortable or relaxing.
  • When about to Pass Curtain sided lorries on busy stretches I often disable it.
  • Using Autopilot keeps me at a heightened state of alertness (but not necessarily a bad thing)

(Driving manually is more enjoyable though).

• When on a motorway I use AutoPilot and Lane Change every time
  • I'm on the motorway nearly every time I leave the house due to our location M40 J5
  • I'm at a fairly normal amount of alertness, doing my job of ensuring that me and the people around me are safe but letting the car do the mundane driving. I'm clearly more aware of my surroundings and therefore more safe than when I'm driving.
  • I have my follow distance set at 6, I drive defensively and avoid being tailgated
  • I drive at or around the speed limit
  • I keep left when not overtaking traffic
  • Foot no where near the accelerator
  • I don't let it take exits, or use it on A roads or below
In 16,000 miles I've experienced 'phantom breaking' maybe three times, typically white trucks in the inside lane, once a bridge on a very sunny day. I just take over in a second as I'm supposed to. Absolutely no big deal, weird when it happens but of no concern. Fairly normally adjusted wife doesn't notice, too busy playing Candy Crush.

Not seen it in this thread but does anyone else have a problem when overtaking 2 trucks in lanes 1 and 2. After I pass and try to move back into lane 2, any truck in lane 1 jumps into lane 2 on the visualisation as a red obstacle and the car gives me a collision warning. It only lasts a few seconds but it is a pain!

Not seen it in this thread but does anyone else have a problem when overtaking 2 trucks in lanes 1 and 2. After I pass and try to move back into lane 2, any truck in lane 1 jumps into lane 2 on the visualisation as a red obstacle and the car gives me a collision warning. It only lasts a few seconds but it is a pain!

Yep. I'll see if I can find the references if you are interested, but the more you see videos, even those of the latest FSD City Street beta, or latest TeslaVision version, you see trucks swerving lanes as they come along side. I had hoped that this issue would be solved with latest vision, but I am now not holding my breadth.

One thing you do learn is not to cross back into a left hand lane if you are approaching a truck to the left of that lane. That truck will often swerve into the lane that you are merging into and the car will panic.

Update with a video of this occurring even on latest and greatest builds. Pick it up at around the 7 minute mark and look at the visualisations of the trucks being passed. Not quite the scenario above, but I think it demonstrates the issue of objects moving when being passed.

Last edited:
I was testing out TACC along the 30 mph on the way to pick up the tiddler from nursery. Cruising along quite nicely until we went past a delivery van that was parked slightly further out from the other parked cars. Car decided to panic and slam on the anchors when we were alongside. Bit late by then, I think. It does show the serious limitations of using a vision system with no memory, analysing each frame in isolation. The front camera clearly saw the van from a while back, but I’m guessing as soon as it came into view of the side repeaters it thought it was a new obstacle and panicked. Fingers crossed the big new update, which should have constantly updated probabilities is a big improvement.
I had a similar thing yesterday, the car suddenly freaked out when approaching a cyclist on a cycle path to the side of the road behind some bollards. Some part of the system suddenly decided the cyclist had ridden in front of the car (that's what the on-screen graphic showed), but in reality they just continued riding along the path.

Fortunately there wasn't any vehicles behind me so it didn't really matter, but it didn't half surprise me as the car had been behaving perfectly up until then.

Can this be switched off???
I would say no, but it depends on the cause.

Most recently I have noticed regular 'red hands on steering wheel' warnings about automatic intervention for my safety along with multiple beeps to mask my bad language! Since they allegedly relate to a variety of dangerous situations, I'm not sure that disabling or changing settings would have any effect. On the up side, I generally don't notice the car do much but a couple of days ago it nearly wrenched the wheel out my hands trying to correct some non-existent issue.

Sudden changes in speed relating to map data or mis-reading signs likely depend on individual circumstances but can't disable other than not use related vehicle function.

AP / radar related which I believe are certainly a combination of shadows and erroneous radar secondary reflections only effect me when using AP. I think this is the category that's lead to radar being dropped in favour of camera based.

I have had one or two sudden slowing responses when flashing warning lights or certain vehicle tail lights have been mis-visualised as traffic lights. On a main road you suddenly see 'slowing for traffic control' which persists as long as the lighting anomaly continues. This makes me doubt that even Tesla Vision will get rid of all unexpected sudden slowing.

Vehicle visualisations and camera geometry causing vehicle visualisations to jump between lane - including pulling Infront of a vehicle after passing - also triggers unwarranted intervention and alarms.

I am not very optimistic about this all getting sorted.

When I do use Autopilot I keep my foot just above the accelerator at all times, this isn't particularly comfortable or relaxing.

this is me. I hate it. Autopilot is relatively relaxing as it allows you to keep an eye on the traffic without as much ‘brain bandwidth‘ on the actual lane keeping etc. But hovering my foot over the accelerator to cover off any phantom breaking hurts after an hour or so :/

this is me. I hate it. Autopilot is relatively relaxing as it allows you to keep an eye on the traffic without as much ‘brain bandwidth‘ on the actual lane keeping etc. But hovering my foot over the accelerator to cover off any phantom breaking hurts after an hour or so :/

Same for me, hovering (mostly) over the accelerator but just occasionally finding I'm not only touching the pedal but pressing it ever so slightly until a warning message pops up "cruise control will not brake" reminding me to lift my foot off the pedal.

Get a similar problem in traffic queues finding the car creeping very slowly instead of stopping with the holding brake because I'm feathering the pedal and not letting go completely. The pedal/sensor seems quite sensitive.

Yep. I'll see if I can find the references if you are interested, but the more you see videos, even those of the latest FSD City Street beta, or latest TeslaVision version, you see trucks swerving lanes as they come along side. I had hoped that this issue would be solved with latest vision, but I am now not holding my breadth.

One thing you do learn is not to cross back into a left hand lane if you are approaching a truck to the left of that lane. That truck will often swerve into the lane that you are merging into and the car will panic.

Update with a video of this occurring even on latest and greatest builds. Pick it up at around the 7 minute mark and look at the visualisations of the trucks being passed. Not quite the scenario above, but I think it demonstrates the issue of objects moving when being passed.

When my car is stationary even objects that don’t move, such as traffic lights, jump all over the screen, so it’s not surprising that other vehicles seem to act strangely when the car is moving at speed.

I suspect that anyone expecting the latest software to solve all these problems is going to be very disappointed, at least for a few years.

You are 100% correct. I have about 10 videos demonstrating exactly this and I’ve had about 50+ text and email communications with Tesla support. They’ve visited my house and I’ve visited my local dealer. I’ve seen the notes they have made and here we are 6 months later and it’s still exactly the same.