Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Politics - Quarantine Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
does this mean we should be "sheeple" and just accept what's given? I have a hard time with people who are willing to accept anything. God Bless You.

Hmm "accept anything" ..

My car hasn't given me any major issues. Tesla service center seems to have gotten it's act together. I haven't visited a gas station in 2 years. I still get loads of compliments every time I drive by. I love love love AP(1). I feel super safe when I drive my car. I love crushing the egos of ICE heads ALL THE TIME! I enjoy the satisfaction of driving by a mom pushing a stroller, or some dude walking his dog, knowing that I am not stuffing poison up their noses. How dare I accept all this!?

Either way, I have no idea why you'd value an Avocado's opinion. But, since you asked ..

You should keep Tesla honest, as long as it is with the eventual goal of a mutual success - you get a nice car, they become a better company. Don't forget the reasons you bought Tesla in the first place.

My reasons ..
- Its good for me
- Its good for USA
- Its good for planet earth

Also, don't loose your sense of humor. Look at me, I've been banned 8 times off this forum for cracking jokes. But as good homework, I have account #'s 9 and 10 ready to go, just in case. I wouldn't want the mods to get bored or miss me too much y'know!

Its easy to get suckered into being a negative nancy sometimes. Tesla forums are no exception. Just as it is easy to become a fanboy.

Remain honest, remain credible, and keep giving Tesla a hard time, but also remember to work with them!

• Love
Reactions: calisnow and DIL
Got delivery of a Mode S last night. Today the trunk wouldn’t close. Car is at the service center and I will be given a loaner because they need the car overnight. In addition, the steering vibrates and seems like there’s an alignment issue as well. All in less than 24 hours of possession.

Did I set a record on how quickly a new car needs to be setup for an overnight repair?

Not a good first impression.

Got delivery of a Mode S last night. Today the trunk wouldn’t close. Car is at the service center and I will be given a loaner because they need the car overnight. In addition, the steering vibrates and seems like there’s an alignment issue as well. All in less than 24 hours of possession.

Did I set a record on how quickly a new car needs to be setup for an overnight repair?

At least your car lasted 1 day. My brand new car only lasted for 3hrs then I had to report the malfunction to them. I had to take it to them the next day since I picked up my brand new car later that day. I had to take it the follow day early morning , since then My car remain at the shop for service. I agree with you not a good first impression..ugh!
But for the mean time I get a Loaner that below model than what I originally had. Ugh!!

I really should avoid lumping all my responses into a single post.

In addition, the steering vibrates and seems like there’s an alignment issue as well.

I was going to reply with the same as Electricfan...

But, when I picked up my 2015 it had the lane departure feature my old 2013 didn't have, and I thought something was wrong with the steering - felt the vibration. But then realized what it was. Hope this is what you were feeling.

I initially brought this shaking to the attention of my service center but they had no idea. I figured it out eventually through this forum I think. The lane departure feature is useless in its current state. I turned it off and the vibration disappeared.​

passenger door not closing well (this they say needs the seal to break in. Sounds plausible)

The door did not close properly with normal amount of pull.

I mentioned this same issue to my service center early on. It has improved a little over the past several months, however my wife failed to completely close the passenger door twice this past weekend. Maybe it's the door seals, but the closing action of all the doors does not feel quite right. The doors on pre-facelift loaners operated much better.​

Its hard not to agree with that* on a gut level, but what an entitled elitist response.

* expecting more because you pay more.​

There is nothing elitist about it. Now if you go into a service center screaming, "Do you know who I am!", you probably have a case for calling someone an elitist. It's quite simple; if you pay a premium, you expect premium, even when it's a milkshake...

There is nothing elitist about it. Now if you go into a service center screaming, "Do you know who I am!", you probably have a case for calling someone an elitist. It's quite simple; if you pay a premium, you expect premium, even when it's a milkshake...
I disagree. Money is relative. If you can afford a Tesla the same as someone else can afford a Hyundai... that Hyundai means as much to him as your Tesla means to you (financially). Everyone has a right to expect reasonable service. You paid a premium for the car, not the ass kissing.

I disagree. Money is relative. If you can afford a Tesla the same as someone else can afford a Hyundai... that Hyundai means as much to him as your Tesla means to you (financially). Everyone has a right to expect reasonable service. You paid a premium for the car, not the ass kissing.

You're right about the service end of it. I believe I misinterpreted your comment. The quality of service should always be professional and they should treat everyone equally, no matter the brand of the car.

Although I can understand how someone can expect better service when buying a very expensive vehicle.

In any case, a Tesla should be built better.

Last edited:
After reading all of these problems I am getting a bit nervous. I am picking up my car tomorrow in Fremont. Then taking road trip. Day 1 about 130 miles to visit my son. Then 100 mile trip the next day. Then about 250 miles home (est.). What are the odds of that plan working without being stuck somewhere? Sounds like it is on ME to make sure the car is ready to travel. Would be nice if the Delivery Crew made sure the car was reliable enough for say the first 1000 miles?
You and me both! I'm picking mine up on Saturday and this thread has been hugely depressing to read. Good grief, does anyone out there not have recurring issues?

I'm glad I purchased an inventory Model S 3 weeks ago. It had <600 miles on it and it being a demo car, I think it benefited from repeated close inspections and any issues that were noted must've been rectified to ensure potential buyers don't notice any obvious defects.

Just wanted to update you guys that I got my car back today - after 1 day. I guess they quoted me 3 days with some buffer built in in case it needed a new part. Car looks good. They fixed the issue. The interaction with folks at the service center was decent.

I’m happy again. :)

You and me both! I'm picking mine up on Saturday and this thread has been hugely depressing to read. Good grief, does anyone out there not have recurring issues?
I have no issues at all in 32K total miles between a 2016 and 2017 model s - by far the most reliable of any new or used vehicles I've ever owned - including Japanese, German British and Italian.

Just picked up our S75 RWD inventory car today. So far so good. Fit and finish seem fine. Passenger door requires decent force to close, but hopefully improves over time. Late August build, and we even got a few unexpected extras - 72 amp charger and the black alcantata headliner. It was a pain to get the front plate assembly off but looks great now. And for anyone wondering it didn't have the upgraded adaptive front lights.

Replacing an AP1 S70 that flooded. In 2 years had only minor issues. Right side of rear hatch (non power) was always hard to close. A few glitches with the LTE. Some kind of mystery wind noise that went away on its own.

Your car probably won't be perfect, but don't worry too much. They'll fix it and you'll love the car.

Reactions: Ken7
Fact is, with anything... the few problems are what get widely reported. When things are fine, they're fine... it isn't news. Nobody calls the pizza place back to tell them their pizza was as expected.

Reactions: arcus and Ken7

Nope. When I bought my Volt, I drove one block before realizing the heat/AC didn't work. I went back and they couldn't fix it right away so I went home with a loaner. It turned out to be a wiring issue they fixed the next day and I never had a problem afterwards.

Money is not relative. Commerce is not conducted by percentage of means: purchases have absolute values.

In the United States, there is also no "right" to "reasonable service." There is only the minimum service required by law, which I suspect would be constrained by the warranty terms at purchase and Lemon Laws in individual states. The notion of "rights" in the United States is misunderstood, overused, and, ironically, a mechanism of false entitlement.

Perhaps debate can be had as to whether the increased price of a Tesla (versus, say, the aforementioned Hyundai) includes/infers an increased level of service. There are examples of cases in other areas of commerce where increased price typically includes an improved "service" experience (such as restaurants), whereas there are other cases it typically does not (such as computer purchases).

Oh give me a break, obviously I didn't mean that the Bill of Rights included a section on car salesmen. There are rights given by law, and there are rights assumed as a member of humanity in good standing. Arguing the latter doesn't exist unless the former says so may very well disqualify you from that membership.

Only Tesla will know the percentage of new cars with issues. Whether someone is looking/responding to these issues is another matter. I dont think folks should make excuses for obvious issues given how long Tesla has been making cars now. However if repair service is excellent and resolves the issue timely then that is good PR right there. And yes we need real competition from other makers for several reasons.

Waiting to pick up my car at the end of this week, and enjoying reading the forum comments on the various thoughts about Tesla.
Tesla does need to realize that in their price range they are competing with the higher end of Mercedes, Audi, BMW, Range Rover, etc. Having owned a Benz & Audi, the service was always impeccable and the attention to detail in the build of the cars was exceptional. Tesla does need to pay attention to those things, because eventually the other car companies will catch up in the EV game and leave Tesla behind if they don't pay attention to the luxury experience.
On that note, I find it semi-amusing (maybe due to the price and the Model S being considered a luxury car) that people here like to compare reliability to BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Range Rover, etc. None of those (except Audi more recently) has a particularly good long-term reliability record, at least when compared to Toyota/Lexus and Honda/Acura.

Sure Toyota and Honda sometimes put out an unreliable model year of a given vehicle and some lemons, but numerous publications and sites that track long-term reliability consistently show them to have better than average reliability, sometimes much better. The other brands you cited... nope.

That’s pretty bad

Status
Not open for further replies.