Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Politics - Quarantine Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a different take... forums, by there nature are places to discuss, debate and vent. Obviously unfortunate incidents like what happened to the OP and others are terrible but I don't think it means they are bad cars or Tesla is a bad company.

Heck, I returned a Lexus as a Lemon 10 years ago and I don't think anyone is arguing Lexus is making crappy cars. It happens.

Waiting to pick up my car at the end of this week, and enjoying reading the forum comments on the various thoughts about Tesla.
Tesla does need to realize that in their price range they are competing with the higher end of Mercedes, Audi, BMW, Range Rover, etc. Having owned a Benz & Audi, the service was always impeccable and the attention to detail in the build of the cars was exceptional. Tesla does need to pay attention to those things, because eventually the other car companies will catch up in the EV game and leave Tesla behind if they don't pay attention to the luxury experience.

I have a different take... forums, by there nature are places to discuss, debate and vent. Obviously unfortunate incidents like what happened to the OP and others are terrible but I don't think it means they are bad cars or Tesla is a bad company.

Heck, I returned a Lexus as a Lemon 10 years ago and I don't think anyone is arguing Lexus is making crappy cars. It happens.

Years ago while living in Germany I picked up a brand new Mercedes at the factory. Wouldn't you know it on the way home from the factory the power steering went wonky. So, like you say, it happens.

Some people (sometimes known as trolls?) just like to search forums (not just Tesla forums) looking for anything to complain about. It happens. :)

Reactions: GaryW
Your. I
For all the people who are saying Tesla will take care of you, I've had the opposite experience.

I took delivery 2 weeks ago. My GPS has been failing multiple times for periods upwards of 8-12 hours. I initially called the phone number and was told that they would have engineering look at the logs and call me back. Never received a call. Took it to the service center because, in addition to the GPS issue, I had an error (steering assist reduced). Since it resolved itself, the techs said they would look at the logs and call me the next day. Never called.

Took it back to the service center after it failed multiple times again, and they said "sorry we didn't call you back, the techs found nothing in the logs." Now they wanted me to keep track of the times, dates, and locations it fails. I'm sorry, what? I gave them video proof of what was happening, I submitted bug reports while it happened, and they can't find anything in the logs and now they want me to simply keep track of the times it fails? I straight up told them I researched the issue and it's most likely a loose connection or a bad GPS unit, but they still refused to take the car to service it. They asked me to give them a couple days to review the latest logs.

All this in addition to the fact that my car was not delivered with the three-point adaptive headlights. I emailed my OA and DS and they never responded. I went through the "executive escalation" feature and they said they will look into it and contact me when they have an answer.

It seems that no matter what I do, I just get a "we will contact you" and then never get contacted.

It's an amazing vehicle, but come on, people are paying $70-140k and this is the service we get?[/Q

Your not getting the three point adaptive headlights!! Check out that dedicated thread. That's only still in PUP. You get adaptive crappy fog lights

We have had 3 deliveries. One in 2014 and the car was flawless functionally. Fast forward to 2017 and both cars we got this year have been in service for various things like alignment, sagging air suspension, roof issues, broken lights etc.

Our 2014 felt like it was miraculously looked over while the 2017 models were rushed out the factory only to have service fix the details.
I feel the same way about my 2015 car as you apparently do about your 2014 -- I got a good one with only very minor issues and I thank my lucky stars.
On the other hand, there is a social media dimension to this topic. Those folks who do have issues can be very vocal (and in most cases, they have every right to be vocal), including on this forum. So we readers of the TMC posts can get an impression of quality issues that does not necessarily provide a representative picture.
Personally I hope the truth is that, overall and albeit with exceptions, the cars are well made and what defects there are will be promptly and satisfactorily addressed by the service organization. And if that is not the truth (particularly after 5 years of building essentially the same Model S car), then something needs to change.

For all the people who are saying Tesla will take care of you, I've had the opposite experience.

I took delivery 2 weeks ago. My GPS has been failing multiple times for periods upwards of 8-12 hours. I initially called the phone number and was told that they would have engineering look at the logs and call me back. Never received a call. Took it to the service center because, in addition to the GPS issue, I had an error (steering assist reduced). Since it resolved itself, the techs said they would look at the logs and call me the next day. Never called.

Took it back to the service center after it failed multiple times again, and they said "sorry we didn't call you back, the techs found nothing in the logs." Now they wanted me to keep track of the times, dates, and locations it fails. I'm sorry, what? I gave them video proof of what was happening, I submitted bug reports while it happened, and they can't find anything in the logs and now they want me to simply keep track of the times it fails? I straight up told them I researched the issue and it's most likely a loose connection or a bad GPS unit, but they still refused to take the car to service it. They asked me to give them a couple days to review the latest logs.

All this in addition to the fact that my car was not delivered with the three-point adaptive headlights. I emailed my OA and DS and they never responded. I went through the "executive escalation" feature and they said they will look into it and contact me when they have an answer.

It seems that no matter what I do, I just get a "we will contact you" and then never get contacted.

It's an amazing vehicle, but come on, people are paying $70-140k and this is the service we get?

Sorry to hear that. I took deliver of our Model X from the Eden Prairie store in late July, no issues to speak of. Good Luck.

I took delivery and went right to the service center 15 mins later because the steering wheel buttons didn't work.

Matter of fact my car has been with Tesla now for over a week waiting for a part. I took delivery on August 20th. I've been back at the service center a total of 4 times, and cumulative days it's been with tesla has been about 2-weeks out of the month of ownership.

All minor issues, but i'll outline them below:

- Steering wheel button failure
- Power seat switch failure
- B pillar plastic not fitting correctly
- Car was delivered with hard water spots all over. Took 2 appointments to remedy this, still not 100% but I gave up
- Alignment was off right from delivery. Steering wheel crooked and car drifted badly to the right
- water leaking through the front window
- passenger door not closing well (this they say needs the seal to break in. Sounds plausible)

i'll also add that the service at first was great, then starts to decline.....

I'll give you my example.

First visit, they fixed my steering wheel button right then and there with no problems. No appointment, nothing.. Just went in. This is right after delivery mind you. I was very impressed with their service.

The next visit were for the water spot, water leaking, and alignment issues. They gave me an older Tesla loaner. Was back in a few days. Still good.

The next visit, they said they will make an appointment for me first - not to walk in. No problem. Waited a week for my appointment and instead of offering me a loaner, they offered me an Uber ride home.

I said, no--I need a car, so they gave me a really dirty Infinti from enterprise rent-a-car with an ant problem inside.

Again, the longer you have the car. You're no longer a 'new' customer they want to make happy. They just kinda shove you in the back..

I've had the car for a month.

A couple of people who were in my car with me had the same reaction. The door did not close properly with normal amount of pull... I will ask the service people about it whenever I go there to pick up my car.

I would be surprised if they told you anything different than what they told me.

Despite my issues, I still like the car. I knew I wasn't getting a car from a big manufacturer. I'm OK with that; as long as the service is good.

Last edited:
Reactions: David29
I took delivery and went right to the service center 15 mins later because the steering wheel buttons didn't work.

Matter of fact my car has been with Tesla now for over a week waiting for a part. I took delivery on August 20th. I've been back at the service center a total of 4 times, and cumulative days it's been with tesla has been about 2-weeks out of the month of ownership.

All minor issues, but i'll outline them below:

- Steering wheel button failure
- Power seat switch failure
- B pillar plastic not fitting correctly
- Car was delivered with hard water spots all over. Took 2 appointments to remedy this, still not 100% but I gave up
- Alignment was off right from delivery. Steering wheel crooked and car drifted badly to the right
- water leaking through the front window
- passenger door not closing well (this they say needs the seal to break in. Sounds plausible)

i'll also add that the service at first was great, then starts to decline.....

I'll give you my example.

First visit, they fixed my steering wheel button right then and there with no problems. No appointment, nothing.. Just went in. This is right after delivery mind you. I was very impressed with their service.

The next visit were for the water spot, water leaking, and alignment issues. They gave me an older Tesla loaner. Was back in a few days. Still good.

The next visit, they said they will make an appointment for me first - not to walk in. No problem. Waited a week for my appointment and instead of offering me a loaner, they offered me an Uber ride home.

I said, no--I need a car, so they gave me a really dirty Infinti from enterprise rent-a-car with an ant problem inside.

Again, the longer you have the car. You're no longer a 'new' customer they want to make happy. They just kinda shove you in the back..

I've had the car for a month.

I've had mine for four years and they treat me as well as the day I took delivery. In fact, they all still greet me by name when I walk in. Tesla always takes great care of me.

...and hearing "You're back!", happily by name. Then "oh, sorry."

But I will say that the speed at which the car moves through the service center has increased dramatically. Maybe not in all service centers, but at least mine, Buena Park, it has gotten better. I have gotten a Model S or X about 85% of the time. Twice BMW convertible, and once a Mercedes. Both reminded me of all that is good with the Tesla. Even driving the BMW, the service light came on.

I searched my email for my service history, and found that on average, I have gone to the service center every 9 weeks over 2 years of ownership. My 1999 and 2003 Land Cruiser go every 12 to 18 months (and mostly for oil changes/brakes) and they both have over 200,000 miles on them.

But, at the end of the day, I am buying two more Tesla's not Toyotas. At least until there are electric Land Cruisers (which a model X is not).

I have had great experiences with Tesla service. They also know me by name. I was driving home on the highway in our Model X and started getting low tire pressure warning and I could see it was slowly dropping in pressure as I drove, 1 bar every couple of minutes. I happened to be driving by the Oakville service centre so drove on in to the service bay, got out and could hear the hissing of the tire. They took the car in right away, found a big chunk of metal in the tire which required replacement, put a new one on and I was out of there in half an hour. I had our Model S in for annual recently as it hit 160,000km (100,000 miles). They gave me brand new X P100D. Before that newish Model S loaners. My car's have had a few issues but Oakville has been fantastic so I actually don't mind taking it in for service at all. I trust them with my cars. The same cannot be said for the Chevrolet dealership that services our Volt. The big difference is the other dealerships are always sticking there hands in your pockets to cover their massive overhead. Tesla not as much.

Reactions: David29
I have had great experiences with Tesla service. They also know me by name. I was driving home on the highway in our Model X and started getting low tire pressure warning and I could see it was slowly dropping in pressure as I drove, 1 bar every couple of minutes. I happened to be driving by the Oakville service centre so drove on in to the service bay, got out and could hear the hissing of the tire. They took the car in right away, found a big chunk of metal in the tire which required replacement, put a new one on and I was out of there in half an hour. I had our Model S in for annual recently as it hit 160,000km (100,000 miles). They gave me brand new X P100D. Before that newish Model S loaners. My car's have had a few issues but Oakville has been fantastic so I actually don't mind taking it in for service at all. I trust them with my cars. The same cannot be said for the Chevrolet dealership that services our Volt. The big difference is the other dealerships are always sticking there hands in your pockets to cover their massive overhead. Tesla not as much.

I'm glad you are gerting good service. In my experience in the CA SF Bay Area the service centers are so swamped that quality personalized service is exceedingly hard to get.

I can only pray for a flawless Model 3 because I do not expect service supply to meet demand in the next few years.

He wasn't attacking anyone, he was pointing out how ridiculous someone else's post happened to be. There seems to be a horrible double standard here at TMC where it's okay to attack those critical of Tesla, but when those same people defend themselves against those attacks, they are chastised, banned, and made to feel like they are the ones doing wrong.
I totally disagree, though a few people have made that their mantra. It's a gaslighting technique, popular in politics, too. "If I say it often enough, people believe it's the truth." It's not true that overall the moderators have a double standard (can't speak to individuals, of course).

If I report a post for calling someone a troll, it is moved pretty quickly. If I report a post for equally dismissive name-calling, such as 'drink the koolaid, fanboy', nothing happens.

After reading all of these problems I am getting a bit nervous. I am picking up my car tomorrow in Fremont. Then taking road trip. Day 1 about 130 miles to visit my son. Then 100 mile trip the next day. Then about 250 miles home (est.). What are the odds of that plan working without being stuck somewhere? Sounds like it is on ME to make sure the car is ready to travel. Would be nice if the Delivery Crew made sure the car was reliable enough for say the first 1000 miles?

After reading all of these problems I am getting a bit nervous. I am picking up my car tomorrow in Fremont. Then taking road trip. Day 1 about 130 miles to visit my son. Then 100 mile trip the next day. Then about 250 miles home (est.). What are the odds of that plan working without being stuck somewhere? Sounds like it is on ME to make sure the car is ready to travel. Would be nice if the Delivery Crew made sure the car was reliable enough for say the first 1000 miles?

I highly doubt you will be "stuck somewhere." Most of the issues people have at delivery do not affect the ability to drive the car. Whether you will have no quality of life issues is questionable.

Reactions: JonG
Status
Not open for further replies.