Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did you purchase a 60/60D or a 75/75D?

• Model S 60 / 60D

Votes: 71 87.7%
  • Model S 75 / 75 D

Votes: 11 13.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In light of the cancellation of the Model S 60 and 60D, and Tesla's explanation of why it was cancelled (low 60&60D sales), I thought it would be good to take a poll.

So... of the buyers of Model S 60s and 75s, which one did you purchase?

Full disclosure, I bought a 60D :)

• Funny
Reactions: Buddy
The explanation that there was no demand for 60 is certainly an alternate fact :) This certainly a "push the inventory" , created a wider price gap before M3 is here.

Once the MS get a HW3 upgrade or facelift , they might bring back the 60 with a higher base price .

I got a 60, while my sis/bro-in-law got a 60D. I find most new cars in my area have been a 60.

I highly doubt most people were getting a 75 or upgrading to a 75 afterwards. I know my sis and I both have no intention of doing that.

Looks like my suspicions are at least somewhat confirmed... :)

Definitely agree with @jelloslug 60/60D likely introduced to prop sales prior to Model 3, now removed to increase differentiation. My intuition tells me Tesla was selling very few 75/75D despite what they said in the email.

What I don't understand is they were supposedly trying to convert Model 3 reservations to Model S sales. Getting rid of the S60 and 60D puts the Model S out of reach for a lot of people. Hopefully this just means the Model 3 is on time and ready to burn through the 400k+ reservations.
My guess is that they now want to be sure to convert the reservations into Model 3 sales. Before they just wanted to convert the reservations into sale period.

We went with the 75D. Here's the thinking that went into the decision. Hubby was more concerned about feeling comfortable with a certain EPA mileage range and he was actually on the fence between the 75D (@259) and the 90D (@294) but we got the 75D in the end. AWD was a given for him. He really would like to just "refill" at night and not have to spend time at a supercharger or other charging station during the day. He just couldn't justify spending the $10,000 price tag difference between those two models. He wanted other options as well and really wanted to keep the price below the big $100,000 as best he could. He's had his eye on Tesla for some time and really doubt he ever would have bought another car in this price range. We tend to keep our cars for a long time. I think for the vast majority of time he will be fine with the 75D.

As for the 60/60D and 75/75D models I think it really depends on how you think you'll use the car, how fast you tend to drive, and what your weather conditions might be, colder losing more battery life. I'm sure another consideration would be whether you have another vehicle to use. No doubt though for most people the 60/60D is a great deal on a beautiful large sedan.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hugh Mannity
I think the 60/60D was the best deal Tesla has had - I hope they bring it back someday. However, I believe they were probably losing money on them as few owners seem to be upgrading the battery. I was able to get all the options I wanted on the car for 8oK - which was the top of my budget. I will be keeping my 60 until they have reliable FSD or maybe the Model Y hits the market.

I think the 60/60D was the best deal Tesla has had - I hope they bring it back someday. However, I believe they were probably losing money on them as few owners seem to be upgrading the battery. I was able to get all the options I wanted on the car for 8oK - which was the top of my budget. I will be keeping my 60 until they have reliable FSD or maybe the Model Y hits the market.
Ditto for me also. My BMW i3 lease was up and I was considering a CPO Model S. The new 60 came out and I was then able to fit that within my budget.

My guess is that they now want to be sure to convert the reservations into Model 3 sales. Before they just wanted to convert the reservations into sale period.

That's my thought/understanding as well. I assume they simply had to get a lower cost version out before the Bolt was released, knowing that it was coming out before the Model 3, to try and grab anyone who was still on the fence. Now that the Model 3 is close enough to release (and anyone who wanted a Bolt probably picked one up already) they're willing to drop the 60 again.

I bought a 70 but would totally have gotten a 60 if I knew they were going to be released shortly after (and used that money to option mine a bit better).

Like many have already observed here it was much more about actual value as opposed to the absolute price differential ($8.5K-$9K pre-post at the time between a 60/D and a 75/D, now $2K less). From that lens I was deciding between a 60D and a 90D, very happy with the choice a bit bc I would have kicked myself for not being able to pay $3K more to go from the 90D to 100D (not interested in the P).

I will not be doing the 60D->75D software upgrade (effectively battery degradation coverage) until it gets down to the $1K range (which it may not).

The only reason to get more Tesla, in my opinion, is if you regularly drive 200 mile distances in a cold climate and supercharging stops annoy you.
Spoken like a true Angelino (I grew up near L.A.). There are places in the country where, best case, on a really cold day a 60 would
barely get you to the next SpC with 5% left. We have a 90D and have to turn the cabin heating down to foot-freezing sometimes.
I don't think people appreciate just how much cold (real cold, like 20s) affects range, particularly at highway speeds. As far as "regularly"
goes, how many times do you want to be left driving 55mph on a 70mph interstate for an hour, watching your breath fog, before it's
not ok anymore?

Spoken like a true Angelino (I grew up near L.A.). There are places in the country where, best case, on a really cold day a 60 would
barely get you to the next SpC with 5% left. We have a 90D and have to turn the cabin heating down to foot-freezing sometimes.
I don't think people appreciate just how much cold (real cold, like 20s) affects range, particularly at highway speeds. As far as "regularly"
goes, how many times do you want to be left driving 55mph on a 70mph interstate for an hour, watching your breath fog, before it's
not ok anymore?

I absolutely agree with this. I hate the range hit I get when it drops to 40 -- I can't imagine trying to drive when it's cold.