Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slacker radio stuttering?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Slacker stuttering problem does not seem an encryption problem (as service center is stating) but an LTE bandwidth issue: my car defaulted to 3G this morning and the problem resolved. Internet speed test showed 1.7 mbps. Then later it went back to LTE and the speed test showed 240 kbps. No problem in Wi-Fi either.

Attachments

• 6EA4EC80-30CA-409F-9139-C8A01929284C.jpeg
    6EA4EC80-30CA-409F-9139-C8A01929284C.jpeg
    327.3 KB · Views: 84
  • 72E29C31-E5F0-4288-A697-C627499565E8.jpeg
    72E29C31-E5F0-4288-A697-C627499565E8.jpeg
    396.6 KB · Views: 56
Slacker stuttering problem does not seem an encryption problem (as service center is stating) but an LTE bandwidth issue: my car defaulted to 3G this morning and the problem resolved. Internet speed test showed 1.7 mbps. Then later it went back to LTE and the speed test showed 240 kbps. No problem in Wi-Fi either.
Seems that the slacker issue has resolved in my car. The songs are buffering much faster and the download speed on LTE is now around 1 mbps.

Hi
On here to report the same things as above. Streaming music has become simple non-viable over the last few weeks with constant loading errors and pauses. Has there been anything from Tesla on this? (I am going to contact them myself also)
Thanks

For what it's worth, I thought I'd see what Slacker support had to say on the topic. Their response was... wait for it... Don't call us, call Tesla:

Frank S. (Slacker Radio)

Dec 27, 16:56 PST

Thank you for contacting Slacker Support,

If you are having issues or need to access your account set up through Tesla, you will want to get in contact with Tesla Technical Support. They have requested to be the starting point for all issues related to the Slacker app through the Tesla Dash Audio system.

You can reach them at 1-(877)-798-3752.

Best regards,
Frank
Slacker Radio Support

As stated earlier, mine started with .42 FW update and was very frustrating. Received FW update 50.2 last night and streaming music was flawless all day today. I think once you receive your update, the streaming problem will go away. (Fingers crossed)

Hopefully this is the case. The 50.2 update has failed on me twice now. I have a tech coming tomorrow for another issue and will get them to install 50.2. We have a road trip on Friday. I *really* hope this fixes the slacker issue because I'm pretty sure my wife will be bailing on her M3 reservation if she finds out they still haven't fixed this stupid issue. I keep telling her how great owning a Tesla is but it's hard to explain basic media features being broken and not fixed for nearly two months

I think it is a combination... It seems Tesla's 4G/LTE connections are being throttled by AT&T in the US (for whatever reason...). This, coupled with the slacker software/firmware being terrible and not buffering well/at all, causes the problems we see.

Reactions: NewTMSMan
Updated to 2017.50.3 yesterday (it claimed failure, but the car appears to be running 50.3 and has the auto-sensing wipers (beta)). It seemed like it was doing better with Slacker with my limited use, but I've also learned that only time will tell if it is better or not.

That said, I've had a productive dialog with Slacker Support since I first contacted them December 27th. They shared today that Tesla acknowledged an apparent issue affecting the East Coast LTE service (no issues with 3G, and definitely not WiFi). The thought is that it's a network routing issue on their (Tesla) side. A subsequent update from Slacker Support stated that a configuration change was made around 4pm PST today, with a request to see if the buffering issues still exist.

I tested in my garage for about 30 minutes - WiFi connection disabled, one bar of LTE coverage. It did indeed seem to be working well for me. Buffering was good - always faster than the playback rate in the half hour I was bouncing around stations and songs.

So... Tesla Slacker fans - would be great to hear if anyone notices any similar improvements in buffering after 4pm PST today - and if you are on the East Coast or not. Firmware version might be helpful as well.

Keeping fingers crossed...

Updated to 2017.50.3 yesterday (it claimed failure, but the car appears to be running 50.3 and has the auto-sensing wipers (beta)). It seemed like it was doing better with Slacker with my limited use, but I've also learned that only time will tell if it is better or not.

That said, I've had a productive dialog with Slacker Support since I first contacted them December 27th. They shared today that Tesla acknowledged an apparent issue affecting the East Coast LTE service (no issues with 3G, and definitely not WiFi). The thought is that it's a network routing issue on their (Tesla) side. A subsequent update from Slacker Support stated that a configuration change was made around 4pm PST today, with a request to see if the buffering issues still exist.

I tested in my garage for about 30 minutes - WiFi connection disabled, one bar of LTE coverage. It did indeed seem to be working well for me. Buffering was good - always faster than the playback rate in the half hour I was bouncing around stations and songs.

So... Tesla Slacker fans - would be great to hear if anyone notices any similar improvements in buffering after 4pm PST today - and if you are on the East Coast or not. Firmware version might be helpful as well.

Keeping fingers crossed...
On 2017.50.3, still only getting ~200Kbps on LTE. Continues to take forever to load Slacker, stuttering, loading errors etc. Located in Northern VA.