Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.10.4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would assume it would. However, it looks like the S/X and 3 are on different forks of code and release cycles. Doesn't mean the AP code isn't shraed just that they have diverged at some point.
Exactly. When things stabilize, I would think it would all combine to one package. But perhaps not because the GUIs are too different. I do expect that the ‘non-GUI’ software is identical.

As you say, there is the internal camera but I don’t believe that’s hot yet for any purpose.

I got the autopilot update this morning, and after downloading it, I rigged up a video recorder and was just blown away. About 280 miles later, I'm just getting to TMC. The lane change is perfect, just awesome. There are so many tiny things it does well... things that most people will not be aware of... some interesting tidbits.

1) The collision warning went off when a motorcycle buzzed me from behind up from behind and cruised around me.... apparently collision avoidance is working from behind?
2) Autopark is better and more persistent
3) Autolane change is so good... changes lanes between cars on 80 mph two lane exit ramp with ease...
4) Confident and truly capable lane keeping.
5) all the places I normally would have to take over, I am surprised I don't have to.

I realized when my car went, through a tunnel Caesar Chavez up mopac all the way to I-35 without disengaging that something special was happening. I'll put some video together. I need to really figure some things out.... is this more of an Ice Cube update or a Dr. Dre update.... oh I can't decide!

This is me today...
how-to-train-your-dragon-52e51b103a03e.jpg

This release definitely feels more confident to me as well, but had one incident where the car slammed the brakes in a section on 101 where there is a bridge and slight dip. Another while changing lanes and it started moving over when the car was speeding up. Maybe it would have floored it afterwards, but I didn't want to chance it. Maybe it's still calibrating.

Mine updated this morning and can also confirm significant improvement. I drive on the same route to and from work each day with maximal AP. There is this one spot when AP always fails when the highway forks and the middle lane widens then splits to take either one or the other. It used to ride in the middle and dive for the right (not where I want to go) at the last moment. With this update, it stayed like a human would to one side and took it without drama. I must also say the curve handling here is also improved. At around 110kmph, it used to track uncomfortably close to the other edge of the curve, jerking back to stay barely in lane. Today it stayed in the middle like a champ.

Edit: AP2.0

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: MikeBur and PrGrPa
After doing 100km test drive and sleeping on it: this AP update was really a step change.

I have been thinking that AP's logic to driving will struggle to ever come to parity with human driving. It has been about mechanically seeking line markings and radar distances.

That is not how you drive. Good driving is based on situational awareness and ability to predict next seconds ahead. You also use more than visual recognition of line markings. E.g. case hill crests, a person learns to trust the markings are there behind the crest, and inner ear confirms this with sense of balance when approaching the crest. AP would panic at the crest because visual markings gave unexpected input for one second.

Now 2018.10.4, seems to have a basic perception of what it is doing. I base this anecdote on letting the car drive a narrow and very windy country road without white lane markings, where you do need to understand the shape of the road and what is oncoming traffic. So I activated AP before this unmarked road starts, and AP was able to continue totally confidently for the short 1-2 kms of it, until final 90 degree bend where it would have cut the corner and was happy to hand over. But this is a bend where humans have to be extra careful as well. I did not expect to be able to do this, maybe ever because of missing lanes and logic depending on them until now.

Later I was able to activate AP also on a strip where there was partial snow and ice covering on asphalt, and it drove even there. Not perfect, but it was notable that when there was less confidence, it didn't panic but it even smoothly corrected driving line. AP also avoided a big pool of water in the shoulder of the road and lane.

Much less of an AP which follows road markings (even as it requires markings to activate). It seems to have some clue about the mission it is on.

Not to hype parity yet or discuss singularity but... the car can hear us, cannot talk right now.