Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.39 4a3910f (plus other v9.0 early access builds)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not sure I follow, how can it auto lane change if it is not steering the car?

Auto lane change has had a checkered past. It sometimes waits too long to change or gets halfway across then cancels on weirdly marked highways (I always use the full press blinker so it's not user error). Sometimes if it is really acting up, I turn it off so I can manually change lanes but still use Autosteer while I am in my lane.

With this update, if I dont like how auto lane change is working and want to turn it off, I will have to give up Autosteer too.

Auto lane change has had a checkered past. It sometimes waits too long to change or gets halfway across then cancels on weirdly marked highways (I always use the full press blinker so it's not user error). Sometimes if it is really acting up, I turn it off so I can manually change lanes but still use Autosteer while I am in my lane.

With this update, if I dont like how auto lane change is working and want to turn it off, I will have to give up Autosteer too.

Maybe I am a bit slow. If you are driving along in autosteer and want to change lanes, the blinker signals the car you want to change lanes and the car does it. If you try to change lanes on your own, you apply enough force to the steering wheel and it releases autosteer, and you can change lanes but then you need to reenable autosteer. Are you saying there s another way things work? I didn't think it was possible to steer the car with autosteer enabled, as soon as you do autosteer disengages.

Maybe I am a bit slow. If you are driving along in autosteer and want to change lanes, the blinker signals the car you want to change lanes and the car does it. If you try to change lanes on your own, you apply enough force to the steering wheel and it releases autosteer, and you can change lanes but then you need to reenable autosteer. Are you saying there s another way things work? I didn't think it was possible to steer the car with autosteer enabled, as soon as you do autosteer disengages.

Today if you uncheck Auto Lane change and keep autosteer checked, when you turn on your blinker the car will automatically disengage Autosteer for you, no wheel turning required. TACC stays enabled. When you get in the new lane, you just double tap again to re-engage. Much smoother than using the wheel to disengage.

This software just showed up.
The long awaited 9.0

The photos I attached were extracted from the release notes. I'll post my own pic and hopefully a video in a few hours.
Here are the release notes... I added for each part which cars it applies to.

Thanks for sharing. WOW. V9 is looking amazing. I think Autopilot is finally becoming the driver assist system that we've all waited for.

Combining Autosteer and Auto Lane Change - All cars with any AP

Autosteer (Beta) and Auto Lane Change settings are now combined under Controls > Autopilot. When Autosteer (Beta) is ON, engaging the turn signal will activate Auto Lane Change to move your car into an adjacent driving lane.

Does this mean auto lane change now works on all roads?