Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.39 4a3910f (plus other v9.0 early access builds)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Contrary to most people here: I believe EAP uses four camera's: one in front, one behind and one on each side. FSD can use all eight: three in front, two on each side and one behind.

Don't know about sensors.

Code says otherwise. Tesla had no code written when marketing wrote the 4 v 8 description. I think Tesla needs additional cameras just to execute EAP functions safely.

My car tried downloading something last night, but I don't think it was successful. It pulled about 200MB down, and uploaded about 120MB. The wifi signal sucks where I park the car, and it doesn't help that there's a car between the passenger side mirror (WiFi antenna) and the house. I'll park in a different spot when I get home since I don't need to charge right away.
In other news, the number of people on .36.2 continues to rise. I'm guessing that's what the car was trying to pull.

Contrary to most people here: I believe EAP uses four camera's: one in front, one behind and one on each side. FSD can use all eight: three in front, two on each side and one behind.

Don't know about sensors.

"Belief" is a funny thing sometimes. Is this, like, a religious belief? Or like "I'm not sure, but I believe..."? Or is it a strong conviction based on evidence?

Sorry, I'm just messing with you!

The 4-camera vs 8-camera thing has always been BS. For a long time from the AP2 release until not too long ago -- the 10.4 series I think it was? -- EAP was using only one forward camera and the radar to do its thing. They then added in a second forward camera. And now with v9 it very much appears to be using 5 cameras (3 forward, 2 side repeater).

As always, ignore what Tesla says and pay attention only to what they do.

Yes, they are the read-facing cameras on the sides, hidden in the little Tesla emblems on the fender (which are called for reasons I've never understood "repeaters").

On trucks, that location would be used for additional turn signals (signal repeaters).

Edit: While I said trucks, they are not required and any vehicle can optionally have them. They may be required based on the visibility of the front turn signals, (FMVSS 108 requirements for US) but I'm not positive.

Last edited:
"Belief" is a funny thing sometimes. Is this, like, a religious belief? Or like "I'm not sure, but I believe..."? Or is it a strong conviction based on evidence?

Sorry, I'm just messing with you!

The 4-camera vs 8-camera thing has always been BS. For a long time from the AP2 release until not too long ago -- the 10.4 series I think it was? -- EAP was using only one forward camera and the radar to do its thing. They then added in a second forward camera. And now with v9 it very much appears to be using 5 cameras (3 forward, 2 side repeater).

As always, ignore what Tesla says and pay attention only to what they do.

Actually Tesla added the main and narrow cameras a long while ago. I think 17.11.3. so we've had 2 cameras for almost 1.5 years. Now finally they seem able to fuse the rest with a useful NN designed for specific tasks for each driving task they were designed to assist with.

Reactions: Anner J. Bonilla
Code says otherwise. Tesla had no code written when marketing wrote the 4 v 8 description. I think Tesla needs additional cameras just to execute EAP functions safely.

I always thought the 4 v 8 cameras language on the website was really odd. I mean, even if using 8 cameras was overkill for EAP features, why not still do it and have a better, safer system? After all, there is no such thing as a car that is too safe. So I am very happy if EAP does indeed use all 8 cameras in the end. I suspect the 4 v 8 cameras distinction was purely a marketing thing to try to further differentiate EAP from FSD and thereby help justify the price of FSD. It was marketing speak for "See! FSD is clearly better because it uses more cameras!" But from a practical engineering point of view, it makes little sense to limit EAP to just 4 cameras when it could do a better job by using 8.

I always thought the 4 v 8 cameras language on the website was really odd. I mean, even if using 8 cameras was overkill for EAP features, why not still do it and have a better, safer system? After all, there is no such thing as a car that is too safe. So I am very happy if EAP does indeed use all 8 cameras in the end. I suspect the 4 v 8 cameras distinction was purely a marketing thing to try to further differentiate EAP from FSD and thereby help justify the price of FSD. It was marketing speak for "See! FSD is clearly better because it uses more cameras!" But from a practical engineering point of view, it makes little sense to limit EAP to just 4 cameras when it could do a better job by using 8.

If HW2 could only handle 4 cameras worth of processing, that would be a reason to limit them (avoid the HW upgrade cost)...

If HW2 could only handle 4 cameras worth of processing, that would be a reason to limit them (avoid the HW upgrade cost)...

Maybe full frame that's true but apparently Tesla downsamples and dynamically crops the camera feeds, so the load is reduced allowing sufficient power to process more than 4. Until the code is fully baked they'll never know. Nvidia was clear AP2 was insufficient.

• Informative
Reactions: arubinst and mongo

Redundancy.

If you have hardware failure in EAP you'd be told that one or more features will be disabled.
If you have hardware failure in FSD the car would tell you and then require constant monitoring like EAP. (And in a future autonomous world it'd have to pull over if the person in the driver's seat wasn't licensed.)

Redundancy.

If you have hardware failure in EAP you'd be told that one or more features will be disabled.
If you have hardware failure in FSD the car would tell you and then require constant monitoring like EAP. (And in a future autonomous world it'd have to pull over if the person in the driver's seat wasn't licensed.)

You could argue that there is some redundancy in the forward cameras, but not complete redundancy. The fact is that every camera on the tesla has a unique field of view which only partially overlaps with other cameras. If any camera stops functioning, they must operate with reduced capability no matter what you have paid for.

In practice, in my experience, Autopilot completely refuses to operate if it detects any failure of any sensor. Which is hilarious because for a long time people with HW2.5 (such as myself) had complete failure of the ultrasonic sensors which the car did not detect as failures, meaning it would be happy to summon itself straight into your garage wall. Hilarious! (They finally, after months and months of running in circles and telling us all sorts of BS -- personally I had my entire APE replaced along with the sensors -- they fixed this with a firmware update.)

• Informative
Reactions: ironwaffle
You could argue that there is some redundancy in the forward cameras, but not complete redundancy. The fact is that every camera on the tesla has a unique field of view which only partially overlaps with other cameras. If any camera stops functioning, they must operate with reduced capability no matter what you have paid for.

In practice, in my experience, Autopilot completely refuses to operate if it detects any failure of any sensor. Which is hilarious because for a long time people with HW2.5 (such as myself) had complete failure of the ultrasonic sensors which the car did not detect as failures, meaning it would be happy to summon itself straight into your garage wall. Hilarious! (They finally, after months and months of running in circles and telling us all sorts of BS -- personally I had my entire APE replaced along with the sensors -- they fixed this with a firmware update.)

And I still get plagued with this when it rains:

B60415EC-722E-40AD-B63F-EAF0D5EB54B0.jpeg

3B14415B-55FB-4D59-B8ED-41337E4124E2.jpeg

Ok so I’m not the only one. I freaked out the first time I saw that in 11k miles, last week. It was raining.

I haven't seen it in the rain (though rain messes with the ultrasonics and defeats auto lane change sometimes; maybe that will be better with V9 using cameras?). But I have seen it in snow/slush when it gets caked on the bumper in front of the radar. If it happens in rain too that must suck... are you guys HW2 or HW2.5?