Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.39 4a3910f (plus other v9.0 early access builds)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, you pull the stalk towards you, not down.

Honestly, not sure, why Tesla did this. Why not just use the turn signal stalk like any other auto lane change?
Because on S and X you have to manually cancel the lane change. On 3 you don’t.

IMHO that makes even the confirmed lane change MUCH better on S and X and 3 than not having it. It’s not nearly such a big deal if you only have to confirm the beginning of the operation and then sit back and let it happen. Currently with regular lane changes that’s where 3 is better - once initiated it cancels itself because the stalk isn’t physically moved into a fixed position.

Reactions: UNSTPBL
I
Uh.... it isn't necessary a router issue. He should be able to connect to the car with the app regardless of if it is connected to WiFi or not. It should connect via cellular. But yea, agree that he should reboot the router in case that is what is locking up the car from communicating at all. ie, car thinks it is connected via WiFi and not using cellular.

I don’t entirely agree. In this case, it was connected to WiFi, just not getting data. The icon on top is WiFi icon, not LTE

You are correct if it fails to connect to WiFi

I am similar problem multiple time unless I reboot my router

Thanks

He seems to be getting closer and closer to realistic timelines,

Yes, but not realistic feature sets.

In June, V9 added the first FSD features. In August, it was down to "the next level of autonomy." At release, it's "no additional autonomy."

It's easy to hit dates if you just keep deleting features. Of course, he missed the date by a month too, even when it was only 2 months away.

In June, V9 added the first FSD features. In August, it was down to "the next level of autonomy." At release, it's "no additional autonomy."

It's easy to hit dates if you just keep deleting features. Of course, he missed the date by a month too, even when it was only 2 months away.

I think this is a bit harsh, but we're both entitled to our opinions. Whether the car initiates it on its own or requires a tug of a lever, v9 is demonstrating it knows where you are and where you should be, and that is a significant advancement in autonomy.

That's not to mention all the other improvements in v9. Everyone is consistently speaking of higher performance Autosteer, ability to navigate cloverleafs, performing on roads it didn't use to be able to navigate on… All of that plus a purely vision based long range blind spot monitoring system.

All in all I think that's a good set of accomplishments. Maybe the goals are set too ambitious, but moving the goalpost on expectations doesn't seem much more reasonable. In the meantime there's been countless threads where the idea of a parallel branch with a different AP implementation was complete BS, autowipers couldn't be done, blind spot monitoring couldn't be done, etc etc etc.

As a current AP1 owner, I am so grateful. Who would have thought Tesla would fail to release any update that is actually better than my 2 year old car in any way!

I actually thought in summer of 2016 that the pace of autonomy rhetoric indicated I was buying something that very well might be obsolete in 6 months. How wrong I was.

I’m off to tell the neighbors about the NEW Tesla’s. You don’t press the turn signal lever to change lanes, you pull the cruise lever!

I

I don’t entirely agree. In this case, it was connected to WiFi, just not getting data. The icon on top is WiFi icon, not LTE

You are correct if it fails to connect to WiFi

I am similar problem multiple time unless I reboot my router

Thanks
Had the same issue. PM if you have further questions.

Tesla does not talk well with some devices on the same network.

What I had to do is set up another router with a different IP that separated all my devices from the car (guest network does not work).

It's easy to hit dates if you just keep deleting features.
Yup, you hit that nail on the head. This is why I balk when a client gives me a list of features (or problems to correct), gives a deadline, and tells me how much they are willing to pay. I give a client the usual contractor answer of "Price, money, and delivery date. Choose any TWO and I will give you the answer to the Third."

Example, you tell me the deadline and the features, and I will tell you how much it will cost. Or give me the budget and deadlines and I tell you what features I can deliver! For better or worse, Elon controls all 3 variables, so if the estimates aren't correct, something has to give in the end.

A little mouse came out of a hole in the kitchen and said I get V9 on Thursday :rolleyes:

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: APotatoGod

From what we know so far, first FSD features are still in v9, just not the very first release bearing that number(just like a plethora of features before it from v8/8.1)

And I wouldn’t say it’s easy to hit dates on features none of your competition has the technical capability to match, no matter how much the features get move around. Chevy’s supercruise is the closest, and even that is only almost as good as v8.1 AP2, per most reviews.

Tesla does not talk well with some devices on the same network.
What I had to do is set up another router with a different IP that separated all my devices from the car (guest network does not work).
I am curious why you think a guest network does not work? When I go to my son's home for several days, the MX works just fine on his guest network. Maybe it is a router specific issue. So far at home, I haven't had the MX have difficulty with over 50 devices on the same network, but yes, I can imagine problems can occur in some circumstances where a device might lock up a router, the router itself has a issue or possibly even the Tesla causing an issue, yet I haven't heard of where the Tesla is the issue with other devices.

And ooops, I realized after the fact that I am getting off topic here with my reply. Sorry about that.

No it wouldn't, it would still be L2, because Tesla has been very clear that the driver must remain attentive and supervise the vehicle at all times, and the disclaimer text for uninitiated lane changing emphasize the point that even though the car is making the decision, you must supervise and take responsibility for that decision. An L3 system gives you the ability to not supervise under some conditions; it is up to the car to tell you when you need to supervise/take over again.

I think you might be missing a big difference between auto lane change before V9 and after V9. Pre-V9, the driver was making the decision when to make a lane change and Autopilot was merely executing the decision. Pre-V9, is definitely L2 since the driver needs to monitor the environment and make the decision of when to make a lane change, the car is merely automating the lane change operation. But post-V9, autopilot is now capable of making the decision on its own when to make a lane change. That's huge. Remember, that even in the case of auto lane change with confirmation, autopilot is still making the decision of when a lane change is needed. it is set to ask permission but it does not need to. A system that can monitor the driving environment and make a decision like making a lane change is L3 or pretty darn close to L3. Another way to look at it is that the "confirmation" to make a lane change is very different. Pre-V9, hitting the turn signal was the driver ordering the car to make a lane change. Post-V9, tapping the stalk is the driver giving permission for something the car can do on its own. So in one case, the driver is issuing an order, in the second case, the driver is merely giving permission. Very different! The disclaimer is slightly irrelevant IMO. It's just Tesla telling the driver to still be careful. L3 is about capability and when the car can check its environment and make decisions on its own with or without driver permission, that's L3 or pretty close to L3 by any definition.

V9 seems to add 2 significant new capabilities to Autopilot:
1) autopilot now knows based on GPS location and navigation when it needs to change lanes to take an exit or highway transition. That is an understanding of its environment that pre-V9 did not have.
2) autopilot, using more cameras, can actually see all cars around it, and make a determination when passing slow traffic is needed and when it is safe to do so. Again, that is a new understanding of its environment that pre-V9 did not have.

On the surface, it might seem like nothing has changed. In both cases, the driver is still taking an action to do a lane change but what's happening underneath is very different.

So yeah, I think V9 does improve autopilot's autonomy, maybe not full L3 or L4, but definitely closer.

I am curious why you think a guest network does not work? When I go to my son's home for several days, the MX works just fine on his guest network. Maybe it is a router specific issue. So far at home, I haven't had the MX have difficulty with over 50 devices on the same network, but yes, I can imagine problems can occur in some circumstances where a device might lock up a router, the router itself has a issue or possibly even the Tesla causing an issue, yet I haven't heard of where the Tesla is the issue with other devices.

And ooops, I realized after the fact that I am getting off topic here with my reply. Sorry about that.

You want to avoid having multicast devices (e.g. smart devices, etc.) on the same VLAN as the car.

• Informative
Reactions: alwaysru
Also remember that the neural network is up and running so each time you confirm or not confirm a recommended lane change, the system is “learning”. The rate of progress achievable with this immediate human feedback/teaching should not be underestimated. We’re still on Tesla/Elon time, but the advancements in autonomy are gonna grow exponentially rather than linearly from here on.

Also remember that the neural network is up and running so each time you confirm or not confirm a recommended lane change, the system is “learning”. The rate of progress achievable with this immediate human feedback/teaching should not be underestimated. We’re still on Tesla/Elon time, but the advancements in autonomy are gonna grow exponentially rather than linearly from here on.

Wonder how they interpret that data. I can often be "chill" when on AP and if the guy in front of me is only going a little slower, I will just stay behind him. So I might not confirm lane change options not because they are "wrong" but just because I dont want to deal with holding up folks in the fast lane to pass a guy I am only gaining on by a little bit.

Reactions: Kant.Ing
Sorry for the poor quality photo, but looks like now there are other ways to detect your hands on the steering wheel in V9. This is from the in car manual.
20181001_153249.jpg