Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.39 4a3910f (plus other v9.0 early access builds)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I read this whole thread and I’m keeping up with it but I am still not sure I understand how the confirmation of lane change works in v9.... as those that have the 3 and the x/s might have noticed we need to turn off the blinker when using auto lane change, as opposed to the 3 that turns it off after lane change. Why is the v9 nav on autopilot different other than the car recommending the lane change vs me choosing (i understand the other differences such as blind spot and such but curious on the lane change part)?

Thank you to those that already have it and are sharing it with us :)

With the S/X, when the car requests a lane change with Navigate on Autopilot enabled (either to pass slow moving traffic or to get you to your exit), you can confirm that lane change with a single pull toward you on the auto-pilot stalk. This will turn on the turn signal and initiate the lane change, no need to use the blinker stalk.

You can use the blinker stalk at any time to initiate a lane change (even on multi-lane roads where Navigate on Autopilot is not supported); when you do this you must manually return the stalk to the center position when the lane change is complete. You can also of course use the blinker stalk to confirm a lane change request (but again, have to manually restore its position if you do so, unless you do a "half push")

Last edited:
It's not different. Initial release of V9 will just suggest a lane change to you. You have to actuate the blinker manually and then the AP will change lanes like it does now. Zero increase to autonomy.

True, auto lane change with confirmation is not an increase to autonomy. But I think it is very likely that Tesla will put auto lane without confirmation back in at some later time and that would be an increase in autonomy. Clearly, they wanted to do it since it was in the initial 39.0 release but they obviously hit a snag. Once they resolve the snag, they will put the feature back in IMO.

But I do think they might tweak the existing "Navigate on AP". I personally think it is very likely that Tesla will put the auto lane change without confirmation back in at some point in a future version. That would not be adding a new feature since we know the feature was in the initial 39.0 version. It would just be tweaking it and re-releasing it.

Auto lane change was never in .39. It was hacked to show up.

Reactions: Yuri_G and mongo
With the S/X, when the car requests a lane change with Navigate on Autopilot enabled (either to pass slow moving traffic or to get you to your exit), you can confirm that lane change with a single pull toward you on the auto-pilot stalk. This will turn on the turn signal and initiate the lane change, no need to use the blinker stalk.

Wonder if they will use the AP stalk for this on the 3 as well? Might feel weird to pull down on the drive stalk on the right to go to the left for example. Not sure the 3 has a push/pull function. This will be the first thing using it if so. (I have never tried to push or pull the drive stalk, not sure if it even moves that direction)

Wonder if they will use the AP stalk for this on the 3 as well? Might feel weird to pull down on the drive stalk on the right to go to the left for example. Not sure the 3 has a push/pull function. This will be the first thing using it if so. (I have never tried to push or pull the drive stalk, not sure if it even moves that direction)
I would expect them to just use the turn signal stalk like they do now. The Model 3 can turn off the blinker on it's own without user intervention.

No, you pull the stalk towards you, not down.

Honestly, not sure, why Tesla did this. Why not just use the turn signal stalk like any other auto lane change?
I like it myself. The autopilot control manages automated functions, whereas the turn signal stalk manages manually initiated turns (even if assisted by autopilot if so-enabled). I would also prefer a quick pull on the AP lever vs having to play around with the turn signal lever - less chance of flashing someone with high beams at night.

No, you pull the stalk towards you, not down.

Honestly, not sure, why Tesla did this. Why not just use the turn signal stalk like any other auto lane change?

Possible reasons:
User input ambiguity: Did the driver push left to signal or to acknowledge auto lane change?
Commonality: you don't need to check which way it wants to move. Instead of acknowledging a left change you trigger a right change.

Reactions: diplomat33
You can use the blinker stalk at any time to initiate a lane change (even on multi-lane roads where Navigate on Autopilot is not supported); when you do this you must manually return the stalk to the center position when the lane change is complete.

Is this new on 2018.39?

On my MS100D, using AP, release 2018.36 - I can initiate a lane change by activating the turn signal stalk slightly, before the detent - just hold it there until mostly in the new lane, let go, and the signal stops. I assume it's the same with .39.

Is this new on 2018.39?

On my MS100D, using AP, release 2018.36 - I can initiate a lane change by activating the turn signal stalk slightly, before the detent - just hold it there until mostly in the new lane, let go, and the signal stops. I assume it's the same with .39.

What is new is the ability to confirm a lane change with the autopilot stalk and also to do lane changes on local roads.

The "half signal" using the turn signal stalk isn't reliable for me on pre.39; I would inevitably end up not holding it long enough and the lane change would cancel halfway through. With .39 though, I think this functionality is still there... with the added feature that a quick "half push" on the turn signal stalk should also confirm a lane change when in nav on autopilot mode (shouldn't be a need to hold it). I will confirm on my drive home today.