Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.39 4a3910f (plus other v9.0 early access builds)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i’ve read this example so many times here that i’ve come to a conclusion, that dressing up as a fire hydrant is very popular in the U.S.

I think, actually, you can probably trace all the examples of this back to me. I've just used this example on these forums several times (though lying in the middle of the road is a new twist on it). So it's not all Americans, it's just me.

• Disagree
Reactions: iboy
Yeah, the main reason I bought FSD was to gain access to the other 4 cameras. Figured that would make for more stable EAP even if FSD never materialized. Guess that was a $3k donation to Tesla's coffers if EAP ends up using all the cameras too. Oh well.

You’ll be getting that fancy new chipset Tesla built in house, so a donation but at least with some compensation. I’m guessing the rest of us EAP plebes will need to pay the FSD upgrade fee to get the shiny new hardware.

39.4 rollout today (10/2/18) seems to be heavily biased towards Model 3, must be testing something specific to that system.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-10-02 at 2.55.27 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-10-02 at 2.55.27 PM.png
    74 KB · Views: 87
if someone is lying in the middle of the road around here they are getting run over.. lidar be damned

That's funny and all, but actually people can very easily see pedestrians lying in the middle of the road and they will not run over them. It is also not an unthinkable situation at all, in fact it happens in real life not infrequently. (It's infrequent with in any given single driver's experience, but not infrequent if you take all driving situations encountered daily across a large population -- which is what Autopilot needs to deal with.) I saw some news articles just last week about a toddler crawling across a busy road (image and link below). People can handle these situations. This is the bar Tesla needs to leap over to enter L3 territory.

baby-lakewood.jpg

Driver Helps Rescue Baby Crawling Across New Jersey Road

Sorry bmah if this should be in the sensor thread... this is less about sensors and more about the challenges facing EAP/FSD progress in general, IMO.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and iboy
That's funny and all, but actually people can very easily see pedestrians lying in the middle of the road and they will not run over them. It is also not an unthinkable situation at all, in fact it happens in real life not infrequently. (It's infrequent with in any given single driver's experience, but not infrequent if you take all driving situations encountered daily across a large population -- which is what Autopilot needs to deal with.) I saw some news articles just last week about a toddler crawling across a busy road (image and link below). People can handle these situations. This is the bar Tesla needs to leap over to enter L3 territory.

baby-lakewood.jpg

Driver Helps Rescue Baby Crawling Across New Jersey Road

Sorry bmah if this should be in the sensor thread... this is less about sensors and more about the challenges facing EAP/FSD progress in general, IMO.

Well, given the crazy beeping and sudden stop I got a couple months back for an empty paper cup that rolled in front of my car, a baby might be doable. That said, babies crossing a freeway are pretty rare, so EAP should be fine regardless.

Well, given the crazy beeping and sudden stop I got a couple months back for an empty paper cup that rolled in front of my car, a baby might be doable. That said, babies crossing a freeway are pretty rare, so EAP should be fine regardless.

It would be interesting if EAP could still manage pedestrian detection at 70mph.

One of the freeways I used to commute on when I lived in Fort Worth it was fairly common for homeless folks to cross the freeway on foot. Several would get hit every year (including one infamous case involving a person who just left the homeless dude stuck in her windshield and drove home).

It would be interesting if EAP could still manage pedestrian detection at 70mph.

One of the freeways I used to commute on when I lived in Fort Worth it was fairly common for homeless folks to cross the freeway on foot. Several would get hit every year (including one infamous case involving a person who just left the homeless dude stuck in her windshield and drove home).

If the NN is doing single frame processing (most likely), 70 MPH should not matter (other than a slight amount of image smearing).

Reactions: rnortman
Can Model 3 (MCU 2) still download software update when asleep? In other words, if Tesla decided to push an update to my car, will it wake up my car to do so?
Fact is that ALL models can be awakened by the system for a variety of reasons, including to push an update, even if is in sleep mode. The folks that like to have their cars plugged in or setting the configuration screen to "Always Connected" isn't going to ensure that you get an update any earlier. Unnecessary to do that.

Last edited:
Can Model 3 (MCU 2) still download software update when asleep? In other words, if Tesla decided to push an update to my car, will it wake up my car to do so?

Tesla pushes a job ' firmware update' to your car, the job says that it needs to wait for wifi to start the download process, the job usually says for how long it needs to wait for the wifi to start the download, after that date, the firmware can download over LTE. Once the download is initiated your car will be kept awake until a firmware is downloaded, verified and staged.