Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.42.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I woke up this morning to 2018.42.2 (19e7e44). I was rushing out the door to drop the kids at the bus stop, so I had no time to sit and fidget with it. At the bus stop, I did quickly activate the rear camera on the top 1/2 of the screen (a floating window as others have noted). This wasn't a big deal to me, as I only had my MS for ~10 days when I upgraded to v9 and I hadn't formed the habit of putting the camera at top 1/2. But still, I know it's a big deal to some Tesla owners.

Navigate on Autopilot - okay, so I did try this out once I got to the interstate. Overall -- as excited as I was to get this feature, I likely won't be using this on a daily basis. My commute is only 2 exits on I-65 south. By the time I on-ramped onto I-65, the car was pretty much merging me right to exit. When I'm driving, I really enjoy that 2 exits worth of I-65, the MS's acceleration, etc. I sort of wish I had a longer commute (haha, not really). I do think Nav on AP is a feature I'd use on the interstate during a road trip, from the little I experienced this morning. But, I haven't taken a true road trip in my first 30 days of ownership, so this will be a rare case.

My only complaint (to be fair, it's not really a complaint, because I sort of get the tech. limitation) -- the onramp to I-65 is a "cloverleaf" where the car is turning 270 degrees to head south. The Nav on AP activated, but it literally on-ramped at about 35 to 40 mph during that turn. When I'm driving, I take this on-ramp way more aggressively so I'm normally hitting 70-80 when I merge into traffic. So, it worked....technically speaking. But, it wasn't a replacement (not even close) for the way I drive in that situation. And, for me....that's a sort of litmus test - does AP give me the same (or similar) driving experience? If not, then it feels artificial and forced. My 2 cents.

Despite this complaint and the fact that I won't be using Nav on AP for my daily commute, I can still appreciate the leap and bound this is for vehicle technology. There is no doubt this is one incremental step closer to FSD. And for that, I'm happy.

How to get the most recent firmware:
1. Use AP a lot.
2. Keep torsion on the steering wheel constantly (when using AP).
3. Avoid getting the red hands like the plague.
4. When you get the red hands (because AP is befuddled), take steering control instantly.
Explanation: Tesla wants to first release firmware to those who use AP a lot, who seem to be holding the steering wheel the most, and who appear to be alert. We’ll, that’s theory 57.

You can not put the browser in the "middle" (a.k.a. the new on top).

It's the only app that you can't, which is just as mind boggling as the rest of the looney UI changes in V9.

I'm wondering: do people who develop the car's software even drive the car? I find it hard to believe that anyone who drives one on a daily basis would ever sign off on many of the things they did.

The difference between your experience and mine is probably that my commute was in the dark on a slightly crazy urban highway in bumper-to-bumper traffic. The lanes are reasonably well-marked, but they're crazy in the way that typical cramped urban highways in older cities are. So the deceleration lane for my exit, for example, is pretty short. (The acceleration lane where I get onto the highway though is very generous; there's no excuse for it not being able to merge there.)

But... if this feature is going to be useful to urban commuters in these kinds of cities, it needs to handle this. And if they're ever going to pull off anything like FSD, then I'd say that EAP needs to be able to handle any clearly-marked highway you throw at it, because this is way easier than FSD on typical local roads.
Yeah NoA during the daytime is leagues better than at night. Same [gentle sweeping] curves at night is scary, but during the day the car takes them like a champ.

You can not put the browser in the "middle" (a.k.a. the new on top).

It's the only app that you can't, which is just as mind boggling as the rest of the looney UI changes in V9.

It makes sense. Im sure this won’t be a popular opinion, but honestly, they should probably just remove the browser or, at least, relegate it to a small white list of navigation-centric pages. At least until FSD is a thing, it doesn’t make sense to have random webpages(with, potentially, moving and/or flashing graphics) right in the driver’s peripheral vision.

How to get the most recent firmware:
1. Use AP a lot.
2. Keep torsion on the steering wheel constantly (when using AP).
3. Avoid getting the red hands like the plague.
4. When you get the red hands (because AP is befuddled), take steering control instantly.
Explanation: Tesla wants to first release firmware to those who use AP a lot, who seem to be holding the steering wheel the most, and who appear to be alert. We’ll, that’s theory 57.

WARNING: upgrades are permanent and once you take it you cannot go back. I begged and pleaded with the SC and they would not downgrade.

Despite this complaint and the fact that I won't be using Nav on AP for my daily commute, I can still appreciate the leap and bound this is for vehicle technology. There is no doubt this is one incremental step closer to FSD. And for that, I'm happy.

No its not. Please stop saying that!
Its a gimmick as have been proven by the reviews.

Just got .42 from SC
Almost never get updates that quick..
My guess is SC pushed it. Been in SC for 3 days
Finally get my camera on top :D

Well. the camera is closer to the top. But it is never at the very top like it used to be. V9 wants the map to be ALWAYS displayed for some reason, top down. Plus the media is always at the bottom. It is still not possible to place the map on the bottom half only and media on top. I actually thought the extra tricks related to Navigate on Autopilot might depend more on the CID than before. But all the related fancy magic is in the IC display (which is rather cool IMO). I see no requirement yet to ALWAYS have the map displayed on the big screen.

It's OK I guess, better than the first versions of V9. But not nearly as flexible as V8. If I had not been living on V8 for three years, I probably wouldn't care that much.

Reactions: K3Man and jlarmstr
No its not. Please stop saying that!
Its a gimmick as have been proven by the reviews.

Ha, funny. The guy who has no first hand experience with the feature(or, in fact, autopilot at all) yelling at the guy who has a car with it about what the feature can actually do. You’re not adding anything to this forum and sound like that 6 year old kid yelling at other kids because they got the “wrong” game console.

Microsoft has ribbons, Tesla has v9. Is it worse than menus or v8? No, just different. I don't like ribbons and like v9. It's just a UI. UIs change and morph over time. You can be miserable and complain your life away or you can adapt and move on. Unless you're just a completely negative person, you cannot honestly say everything in v9 is a downgrade from v8. I can't even say that about ribbons, and I detest anything having to do with Microsoft, except for their hardware, back in the day when they still made hardware. :D

Now go out and have a good day. :)

I got 42.2 this morning and used it on my way into work. It's about 13 miles in heavy traffic. Overall, I was pleased.

It managed three pretty much consecutive lane changes to get over to take the left fork in the highway. It then suggested a lane change to get into a faster lane (which was really faster). I had the lane change setting to Mild. Then heavy stop and go traffic with no suggested lane changes. That was fine because there really is no advantage to changing lanes then. It then managed a few other lane changes, an interchange and an exit ramp.

• Who knows for real, but it sure seemed like the representation of the vehicles was less bouncy.
  • In a construction zone, I saw a message that said something like "Construction zone detected" but I couldn't finish reading it before I had to ... you know ... pay attention to the fact I was in a construction zone
  • Lane changes were way better than .40. In 40 there were still times when I'd just jerk the wheel and yell at my car "just go already!" A few of the lane changes this morning on 42 were actually quite challenging and it did a really good job with them. It will ask to change lanes w a car in the blind spot, but the line is red and it doesn't actually change lanes until the car moves ahead.
  • It automatically initiates taking exit ramps. I thought that was pretty cool.
  • It does seem like lane recognition might be better. After the NoA ended on the exit ramp to work, it did a much better job handling the ramp than ever before. But that was only one ramp
  • Lastly, I've only gotten in it twice now, but my phone hasn't started the Phantom Music Player thing. That's hardly proof of anything though
It's certainly not ready for prime-time, but not two years ago I had a car without automatic headlights. Really, people, that happened! I had to turn my headlights on. There has been progress, and I have no reason to believe that progress now will become illusionary or just stop. And, it's still a super cool car :cool:

I only use the map and radio, so no comment on the UI.

Ha, funny. The guy who has no first hand experience with the feature(or, in fact, autopilot at all) yelling at the guy who has a car with it about what the feature can actually do. You’re not adding anything to this forum and sound like that 6 year old kid yelling at other kids because they got the “wrong” game console.
There does really need to be a WTF rating for those kind of posts....right!?!

I got 42.2 this morning and used it on my way into work. It's about 13 miles in heavy traffic. Overall, I was pleased.

It managed three pretty much consecutive lane changes to get over to take the left fork in the highway. It then suggested a lane change to get into a faster lane (which was really faster). I had the lane change setting to Mild. Then heavy stop and go traffic with no suggested lane changes. That was fine because there really is no advantage to changing lanes then. It then managed a few other lane changes, an interchange and an exit ramp.

I'm unclear on how the lane changes happen. Does the car only suggest and I have to confirm or initiate somehow or is it truly automated?