Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.48.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, I can see that as well in the APP now, and firmware version is showing 2018.48 in the APP, but the status is still "Software Update In Progress" for well over an hour. This is unusual as most updates have taken ~30 minutes for me. Not sure what's up.

I'm also seeing a long update time. This is on a Model 2017 Model S with MCU1. How long did the update take to eventually finish? Mine seems to have been going for about an hour and a half...

Update:
Getting in the car there was a dialog box saying "Update complete checking systems" or something like that. Once I dismissed it everything looks normal.

Last edited:
Regarding the long update time:
Started the update at about 11pm from the app and next morning the app was still saying "update in progress" while showing a new version (48.1). Went to the car and found there was a message something like "update complete. Verifying installation" (not exact wording) with an OK button. Pressed OK and no problems found after. Never seen this message before.

Regarding the long update time:
Started the update at about 11pm from the app and next morning the app was still saying "update in progress" while showing a new version (48.1). Went to the car and found there was a message something like "update complete. Verifying installation" (not exact wording) with an OK button. Pressed OK and no problems found after. Never seen this message before.

Thanks. This is exactly what I found.

That same update issue reported by others happened to me for over 24hr until after I charged my vehicle. I keep my car on energy saver mode, idk if that’s related. I also activated update from my phone notification and this happened to me on 2018.48.0.
I updated my car from the app Friday night. I tapped the notification and it asked me to confirm, then it gave me two minutes to cancel the update like you’d expect. Unfortunately each time I’ve gotten into the car the next day, it said it was validating the update or something. I’m able to close this out but the app has also shown the status as an update in progress (until I plugged in the car). I haven’t checked on it since.

Good thing to hear. Even long semis without splitting into two while you pass?

@verygreen did you had the chance to check if with 48.1 cars are now tracked arround the car by AP (one static ID) or if this is a UI tweak?
I'm on 2018.48.1 and the right side of my display still shows jumping cars and splitting semis. The left seems more stable but I still get to see cars jump every once in a while. And because semis are not usually on my left side, I really can't tell if it is actually much better than the right.

• Informative
Reactions: croman and jrad6515
I'm on 2018.48.1 and the right side of my display still shows jumping cars and splitting semis. The left seems more stable but I still get to see cars jump every once in a while. And because semis are not usually on my left side, I really can't tell if it is actually much better than the right.

I'm on 48.1 and seeing plenty of hopping. Even worse, I see oncoming traffic pop up on the IC more often now.

I definitely see semi splits but it seems to render the tractor and trailer as 2 until you pass.

• Informative
Reactions: arubinst
Just did this two days ago and st least for me, reboots didn’t help on return to the US. But later in the day about six hours after crossing it returned. May be a coincidence but was after a deep sleep.

It would until Tesla determines where the car is in its back end systems. Theory is that this is done once a day or when the MCU is rebooted. Folks who have crossed the border in one direction or the other have reported getting NOA in the US and typically for a day in Canada or unless a reboot takes place.

I took my normal Saturday route today and noticed a more frequent nag with beeping noise in the section of road that is missing clear lane markers. Prior versions didn't do this. It seems they might have increased the nag multiplier when AP is less confident of lane lines.

I also got to test NOA and I really like how the new feature to move out of the fast lane works. That said, on another occasion it prompted me to pass a slow car and I gave it the go ahead and it went and then abruptly canceled the lane change for no reason that I could see. If the lane change is deemed safe it needs to commit, the darting out and back into the lane makes you look like an idiot and can be dangerous if other cars are closing the gap.

I took my normal Saturday route today and noticed a more frequent nag with beeping noise in the section of road that is missing clear lane markers. Prior versions didn't do this. It seems they might have increased the nag multiplier when AP is less confident of lane lines.

I also got to test NOA and I really like how the new feature to move out of the fast lane works. That said, on another occasion it prompted me to pass a slow car and I gave it the go ahead and it went and then abruptly canceled the lane change for no reason that I could see. If the lane change is deemed safe it needs to commit, the darting out and back into the lane makes you look like an idiot and can be dangerous if other cars are closing the gap.
The official explanation in the manual is that *halfway* out of the lane, it must see the other end of the new lane confidently. If not, it will abort.

But yeah, indeed, this is *precisely* the kind of behavior that leads to so many self-driving prototypes in California getting rear ended or side swiping other cars, with the blame always pinned on the other human driver for "not leaving a safe distance". Humans almost never abort lane changes.