Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2019.12.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got the update a few days ago but the page showing what the update contains is blank. It was blank when first displayed and blank when I press the Tesla T....only has a heading at the top of the page. ARGH.
Ever since 2018.3 mine takes like 15 seconds for the release notes to show up. Once you hit the button you just have to wait. It will eventually populate.

• Informative
Reactions: Sabre Man
3 months maybe, 6 months definitely...

In all seriousness, I'd like to know who makes that decision, on what facts are they basing that decision on and what are the legal grounds to approve/refuse a firmware update to car for a system that requires constant monitoring and leaves the responsability to the driver.

I think Tesla has chosen the wrong approach. With everything related towards more automated driving and ultimately FSD, the rules that have to be applied are not the ones of the country of registration, but the ones of the country the car is being driven in (based on GPS geofencing): Swiss Teslas, for example, should have NoA enabled as soon they pass the border into Germany, as well as German Teslas should have NoA disabled as soon they cross the border into Switzerland. Everything else is utter nonsense.
This principle will have to be applied anyway for FSD, since the local driving rules will have to be enforced.

What sense does it make to prevent Swiss Teslas to use NoA in Switzerland (assuming Swiss regulators think is it dangerous) while allowing Nowegian end German Teslas to use the same feature while in Switzerland ?

This geofencing is already applied to Tomtom GPS units regarding speed traps warnings: they are prohibited in Switzerland, allowed in Germany and restricted in France. My Tomtom automatically adapts to the rules of the country I am driving in.

Swiss Teslas, for example, should have NoA enabled as soon they pass the border into Germany, as well as German Teslas should have NoA disabled as soon they cross the border into Switzerland. Everything else is utter nonsense.

Tesla does that, at least between US and Canada, but it takes up to 24 hours for the change to happen. But you are correct it should be real-time and not dependent on the mothership flipping bits in the

• Informative
Reactions: OPRCE
I think Tesla has chosen the wrong approach. With everything related towards more automated driving and ultimately FSD, the rules that have to be applied are not the ones of the country of registration, but the ones of the country the car is being driven in (based on GPS geofencing): Swiss Teslas, for example, should have NoA enabled as soon they pass the border into Germany, as well as German Teslas should have NoA disabled as soon they cross the border into Switzerland. Everything else is utter nonsense.
This principle will have to be applied anyway for FSD, since the local driving rules will have to be enforced.

What sense does it make to prevent Swiss Teslas to use NoA in Switzerland (assuming Swiss regulators think is it dangerous) while allowing Nowegian end German Teslas to use the same feature while in Switzerland ?

This geofencing is already applied to Tomtom GPS units regarding speed traps warnings: they are prohibited in Switzerland, allowed in Germany and restricted in France. My Tomtom automatically adapts to the rules of the country I am driving in.

What about for car insurance ... meaning would your car insurance cover you and your car if your country doesn't allow it but then you drive in another country that does and you crash using it (which they can pull logs for)? Probably bigger picture items that you are not aware of. I don't think you can compare it to a store bought Tomtom that you mount on your windshield in all these legal regards. It certainly isn't a technical issue and likely legal issues!

I think it would be covered by insurance.
Consider speed limits: where I live (Switzerland) the limit on autobahn is 120Km/h. If I drive in Germany, I can legally drive at whatever speed I like on the German autobahn, and if I get into an accident I will be covered by my Swiss insurance because my speeding in Germany was perfectly legal even if in Switzerland it is not permitted.

I think it would be covered by insurance.
Consider speed limits: where I live (Switzerland) the limit on autobahn is 120Km/h. If I drive in Germany, I can legally drive at whatever speed I like on the German autobahn, and if I get into an accident I will be covered by my Swiss insurance because my speeding in Germany was perfectly legal even if in Switzerland it is not permitted.
Speed limits have been around for many decades tho. All that has been normalized. We are talking about new partially autonomous driving. Very very different.

• Disagree
Reactions: b team

None whatsoever, I agree with you. But somehow a regulator in Switzerland decided to delay some firmware updates; if that geofencing system is already in place in the current firmware builds, Tesla should make an effort so that the regulators worldwide understand that fact. Let users have the latest firmware, just make sure that Tesla blocks the unapproved features.

EDIT: I'm talking specifically about the v9 delay in Switzerland, which I suspect was due to regulator approval. Right now we are getting the firmware, just not some of the features; but I have a hunch that the firmware delay are going to happen again.. What I'd like is some more transparency (from both Tesla and the regulators) on how approval for FSD features is going to happen.

Reactions: OPRCE and Siggy101