Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2019.12.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dennis- while I certainly agree that there are no user accessible storage of videos, the UI states video clips are uploaded to Tesla; and sure enough yesterday my ap2.0 car told me it had 2 "events" detected by Sentry. Later that night it uploaded 700+MB to Tesla. View attachment 395758
This is encouraging. FWIW, I also have AP2 MCU1, and received .12.

I tried the formatted USB as one might do in an AP2.5, and after activating sentry, it tried to store clips on the USB, but they weren't viewable. Same name, timestamp, etc. for all 3 cameras as one might have with 2.5, but the files were only 595 bytes, so obviously error when you try to play.

I'm hoping that the fact that we got these "faux" files, as well as the upload data you have, mean that they'll eventually work out true Sentry mode for AP2.0 cars.

The MCU has nothing to do with dashcam or sentry mode. Plenty of AP2.5 cars out there with MCU1 they provide both functionalities.
Maybe someone with more detailed knowledge can chime in here, but I thought that the reason dashcam was not available on AP2 hardware was due to the absence of redundancy (primarily wiring, but maybe also processor?) that prevented it running in parallel with vehicle operation. That made me hope it would be possible for full sentry mode when the car is parked.

It seems likely there would be additional software complexities, since some code might need to be different to support the different hardware configuration - and perhaps Tesla has decided not to take that on. But I don't see why in principle it could not work to record the video locally while the car is parked.

So us S/X folks will get this in December or something. Cool. I guess. Tired of S being deprioritized on updates. And I don't even mean development or features. I just mean, tired of us being deprioritized on having the updates pushed at all.

So it's hard to get excited about 2019.12 when I really have no prospect of seeing it soon. Cool in general though.
just got the 2019.12 on my MX

The MCU has nothing to do with dashcam or sentry mode. Plenty of AP2.5 cars out there with MCU1 they provide both functionalities.
Dashcam worked without b node in 2.5 cars before 2019.8.3. so it was the same as AP2.

MCU has nothing to do with this.
I stand corrected guys, thanks! Could this be a limitation of AP2 then?

Reactions: TK16688
I stand corrected guys, thanks! Could this be a limitation of AP2 then?

Apparently it's only due to a lack of binaries which could be provided later. Tesla does need to implement interpolation to color correct. There is just more work to get it to AP2. When parked there is no reason Tesla can't deliver a full functioning sentry mode but I'm only knowledgeable to the extent the experts get info to the public.

Reactions: arcus
I saw this tweet this morning from Elon that confirms us AP2.0 owners get FSD.
upload_2019-4-14_7-49-20.jpeg

For some reason my car just updated from .12 to .12. Wireless activity was a little above average but not in the downloaded-a-firmware-update range prior to the notification. Weird...
Normally I’d say it tried to update to something else and failed. But we don’t know of anything else. Hm....

And in general it’s weird. Update traffic is way down. Few .12 rolling out and not even that many .6. Now what?

Summon from keyfob, Nav on AP, Enhance Summon, Red Light warning, to name a few.

That all is US except NOA. NOA is in some EU countries for Model 3 only.

Summon via the keyfob has always been possible on the S/X in the US but now it also works on the 3. I wish keyfob summon worked in the EU as summon via the phone just doesn't work most of the time and certainly not working in parking garages.