Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spotted in Australia and New Zealand

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
what sort of different charging ports exists for teslas?

I assume there Is American, Australia/UK/Europe/Africa and Japan?

There are only two kinds. The original "proprietary" Tesla socket is used on USA/Canada/Japan cars.

These countries use 110V/120V domestically and three-phase sockets aren't really a thing, so they only have 5 pins (Active, Neutral, Earth, Control pin and PIlot pin - the same pins as Type1/j1772 so a simple adapter is possible.

Each house actually has two 120V phases that combined give 240V, so they can charge from 240V (Active, Active, Earth, cp, pp) at up to 80A (19kW) or 72A (17kw) on facelift models

USport.jpg

When Tesla first started building cars for Europe, which has 240v domestically and is covered in three-phase sockets, they realised they needed another couple of pins to allow three-phase charging. Rather than reinvent the wheel again they used a socket compatible with Europe's type2 (aka Mennekes) charging infrastructure - but modified to allow the much higher charge rates from superchargers.

EUport.jpg

Then when they started deliveries in Hong Kong, Australia, New Zealand etc - all of which have three-phase infrastructure - they used the same port as in Europe.

As you can see these have 7 pins, allowing for up to 3 active phases, plus Earth, Neutral, CP and PP.
They can charge at up to 32A per phase (23kW) or 24A (17kW) on facelift models from standard three-phase sockets.

The control pin / pilot pin protocols are the same, so that Japan-spec could charge from AC charging infrastructure with the appropriate adapters, and they can use a US/CA/JP spec CHAdeMO adapter to charge from the ubiquitous charge.net.nz fast chargers , but supercharging will be a problem.

• Informative
Reactions: Chuq and Rawbznz
Cool. Looks like a couple of people have charged there !
Spent last week in Melbourne (beautiful city!) but only saw a single Tesla the entire time (a red facelift Model S, turning into the children's hospital on Flemington Road.) We saw a number of metal boxes along the street with "3P" in large letters, which I initially assumed meant "three-phase" but was later disappointed to learn were just parking meters. :oops:

Spent last week in Melbourne (beautiful city!) but only saw a single Tesla the entire time (a red facelift Model S, turning into the children's hospital on Flemington Road.) We saw a number of metal boxes along the street with "3P" in large letters, which I initially assumed meant "three-phase" but was later disappointed to learn were just parking meters. :oops:

If you were near Flemington Road, you were on the wrong side of the city for Tesla spotting. They are abundant in the inner east.

Reactions: stephenpace
Is anyone aware of a black Model X with the rego plate "FUTURE" ? (any state)

I spotted one in Hobart today out of the corner of my eye. I got home to find "FUTURE" wasn't in the Tasmanian transport rego lookup database. I didn't get that good a look so it might have been a visitor from interstate!