Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't be fobbed off, back in January I charged at a supercharger from 11% to 96%, and added 49kWh (58kWh usable), in late may I supercharged from 7% to 94%, and added 47kWh (54kWh usable). Teslafi is now telling me in June I have 52kW usable left !.. Rated miles (UK) dropped from 229 to 206.

Everyone seems to think this update has effected the s85 battery, I have a 2014 s60 and my range has suddenly dropped by 10% too !.. bought my s60 6 months ago (in UK), rated was 232 and typical was 184, I now get 210 and 162, so 22mile drop I range. I've not long had Teslafi, so unable to determine when it happened, but can guess it happened with the BMS update in mid May.
Thanks for reporting, and my sincerest condolences. As a 2013 S60 owner and 2012 S85 Signature owner, I had long since assumed Tesla was ignoring my cars, save for some poorly-tested video games that don't run well on the older hardware (despite emulating a system 100,000x slower than the CPU in the car) and have decided to stop updating. I just wish I was back on the 8.0 version.

It's my public opinion that the Tesla software engineering department has all but fired their QA team, and they are now adding functionality that only serves Tesla, and not me. To candy-coat things, we are now being given gags and video games but nothing particularly useful. I went to 9.0 because of the video game thing and feel like a fool for it. 8.0 to 8.1 was to make all the blue lakes gray and do some other data-limiting tricks to cut down on their AT&T bill.

Perhaps I'm not in the best mood, but am I wrong to suspect Tesla is doing this to get people to sell their old vehicles sooner?

This isn't the first time Tesla has done this. back in 2014, I recall they did an update that padded the bottom end a little more to prevent bricking, because certain owners were pushing it and driving to full discharge. I felt fine about that, but a 10% drop is manipulative. I am OK with buying a new battery in a few years, especially with the Maxwell Technologies improvements coming.

Let this be a lesson to all hiring managers: when you hire enough people from Apple, you get their corporate culture of treating owners like sheep.

Yes, I saw that. And to be extra clear, I am not challenging you on anything. I'm just curious if you have driven 100%-1% to see if the range loss is real.
Yes, it is real loss.
Not only that but I cannot charge to 100%. At 96% the charge power drops to 1to 2 kW (4 to 10 miles range per hour) to get the last 7 miles. I did this at SC on Friday evening and home charging Sunday night.
I also was concerned about the bottom end and drove this weekend until 4 miles remained (0.8 kWh available). With 340 Wh/mi average for that charge cycle (97% to 1.3%). This is within my nominal range for the uphill portion of my drive.

The range loss due to the update is not normal degradation. It is a deliberate restriction after the car was purchased. This in no way should be acceptable. After owning a car for over 6 years only to have the range decreased by 30 miles in some cases by an update should be criminal, and then only to have Tesla lie and say that it's normal. It decreases the value of the car and restricts travel distance.

Last edited:
The range loss due to the update is not normal degradation. It is a deliberate restriction after the car was purchased. This in no way should be acceptable. After owning a car for over 6 years only to have the range decreased by 30 miles in some cases by an update should be criminal, and them only to have Tesla lie and say that it's normal. It decreases the value of the car and restricts travel distance.

Agreed, this is no different than downgrading our cars to 60 when they were brand new and shouting "Thanks for the $10,000 suckers!" - it doesn't become OK just because they waited to take back what we paid for.

elon.jpg

Has anyone with reported range loss attempted a roadtrip to see if the loss is real or just an error in reporting?

It's real because we can see the average cell voltage when charging is complete and it's lower...sometimes a lot lower than it would be for the equivalent SOC. For example, 90% would be just about 4.08 volts but some are seeing 4 or even 3.9s for 90%.