Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Broadway (Glebe) NSW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good news everyone!
GoodNewsEveryone.jpg

A Telstra 4G Antenna has now been installed above the two supercharger bays closest to the gate. This means that live supercharger availability on in-car maps is now available for Broadway as well as remote vehicle control when you're shopping and charging up. I had full 3G signal in my car charging this morning (anyone with 4G I suspect should also have full 4G considering the antenna).

Only bad news is that it seems to be Telstra only, so my Optus mobile still had very little reception while I was in the car waiting for the charge to finish.
IMG_2805.jpg
IMG_2803.jpg
IMG_2804.jpg

I finally used a charger in this car park yesterday, partly because Broadway on Saturday afternoon is a Zoo and I thought it would be an easy park close to the exit rather than circle the 10 levels of carpark up to the roof. And to clarify, this is in my Nissan LEAF - no Model 3 for me yet :)

There are 3 spots for non-Tesla EVs, two of them were taken - believe it or not by cars that were actually plugged in (a BMW i3 and a BMW X5 PHEV). The only other time I have tried to use a Schneider EVlink charger (Glebe Tramsheds) I couldn’t get it to work, but the LEAF forum suggested that the trick is to plug in the J-1772 end on the car first and then plug in the Mennekes end at the charger second before hitting the green button. That worked.

When I arrived there were no Teslas charging. When I left there were three, plus a Model X in front of me leaving.

It made me feel like we are the edge of change!

I had my first supercharging experience today, just because I could, at Broadway. I was the only Tesla there when I plugged in, and was flabbergasted when the screen indicated I would reach my target charge level in only 15 minutes!

I went off to the shops and while checking out some jeans I got the notification charging was complete. I looked at the App and saw 3 of the chargers were now occupied... so with the risk that a 4th car turning up would trigger idle fees, I hotfooted it back to the carpark and by the time I got there a 4th car was indeed plugged in.

A couple of minutes later I got the invoice and yep... I made it with only 2 minutes to spare (3 mins idle time, charge waived).

Then of course I had to move the car - and the only way to do that is exit the car park and re-enter, which is super annoying. Then, after finishing shopping about 40 minutes later, when I put my ticket into the boom gate, it wouldn’t let me out, saying $7 was due.

According to Broadway’s parking rules “When a car re-enters within 1 hour, additional charges will apply. Total time in the car park will be accumulated”. I pushed the call button and the charge was waived (total parking time was well under 2 the hour free limit) but boy what a nuisance.

Morals of the story (old hands would already know this):
  1. Don’t supercharge unless you have to (I did this purely for a learning experience)
  2. Don’t supercharge at Broadway unless you have to!
Apart from this, I’m very impressed with the rate at which Superchargers mainline the battery :D

If I want to take my time I charge my car on the Centre’s AC chargers, then move the car to the Superchargers a bit later when I know how long I will be. As my car supports 22Kw charging I get more than 100Kmh charge rate.
I did consider doing that - moving my car to one of the AC chargers and plugging in there. I had only charged to 80% at the SC so could have done it and my car would have been nowhere near 100% by the time I was done shopping.

BUT... that would be poor etiquette on my part just because I couldn’t be arsed to move my car to an unrestricted parking space. What if someone with a non-Tesla BEV turned up and really needed a charge only to find all 3 stalls occupied, one of which was a Tesla? I would be the social media pariah, and rightly so!

Re @PJF000’s comment, yes I could have increased the target to 100% and continued shopping, but I’m on hols at the moment and not doing a lot of driving so didn’t want my car at a high charge state for an extended period of time.

I did the SC charge solely as a learning experience before I need to do it on the road, so was prepared to accept whatever happened. But the learning about exiting and re-entering Broadway and the hassle with the poor location of the SC stalls is hopefully useful information for others who haven’t been there before.

Reactions: PJF000
WTF does it mean when one point says the carpark is open 24/7, but another point says "entry is restricted between midnight and 5am"??

One can either enter the carpark between midnight and 5am, or one can't. It's binary. If one can't enter the carpark, then point one is incorrect. If one can enter the carpark during this time, then in what way can point 2 be correct?

Honestly, does anyone actually read this stuff before they publish it?

I charged at Broadway at 11:35 on Friday night.

A Model X arrived at 12:15am as I was about to leave. John, it’s driver, clearly had no issues entering. When I left, I didn’t recall seeing anything unusual with the entry gate next to our exit gate.

Yes, I take photos of my MCU when arriving and leaving chargers to better understand and gauge performance.

If I see the entry closed and the exit open, you’d better believe I’m driving in via the exit!

Last edited:
Reactions: Shock-On-T
WTF does it mean when one point says the carpark is open 24/7, but another point says "entry is restricted between midnight and 5am"??

One can either enter the carpark between midnight and 5am, or one can't. It's binary. If one can't enter the carpark, then point one is incorrect. If one can enter the carpark during this time, then in what way can point 2 be correct?

Honestly, does anyone actually read this stuff before they publish it?
Not non-sensical at all... It's open 24/7 but between midnight and 5am you need a reason to enter. You simply buzz the intercom at the entry gate and security will ask you what you need. You tell them you need to charge and they'll allow you entry. If you tell them "just having' a sick tokyo drift style car meet, brah"... You shall not pass.