Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Heatherbrae NSW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks to @MangroveMike in this post we have a prospective location for the Heatherbrae supercharger.

Puma Petrol Station (under construction)
2285 Pacific Highway
Heatherbrae NSW 2324

DA at Port Stephens Council: Port Stephens Council - Application Tracker

Service Station, Food & Drink Premises, Extension to Existing Motel and Ancillary Works
Submitted Date: 30/03/2016
Properties
1 Kingston Pde, Heatherbrae 2324 NSW (LOT: 3 DP: 264023)
2283 Pacific Hwy, Heatherbrae 2324 NSW (LOT: 101 DP: 807522)
2285 Pacific Hwy, Heatherbrae 2324 NSW (LOT: 1 DP: 350551)
3 Rainbird Cl, Heatherbrae 2324 NSW (LOT: 2 DP: 264023)
5 Rainbird Cl, Heatherbrae 2324 NSW (LOT: 1 DP: 264023)

One thing I noticed from browsing the DA in detail is that all the submissions are against it. I'm guessing NIMBY types. Concerns about increased traffic, drunk people, pokies, and cutting down a 100 year old fig tree. One is from a competing service station. I don't know if the council will take these seriously or not.

Disappointing and unhelpful for me.
Awesome if you are driving to Nelson Bay or Brisbane (via Pacific Highway).
Annoying and inconvenient if you're driving to Newcastle.
Hopeless if you're taking the New England Highway.
Very annoying for me!

Last edited:
Disappointing and unhelpful for me.
Awesome if you are driving to Nelson Bay or Brisbane (via Pacific Highway).
Annoying and inconvenient if you're driving to Newcastle.
Hopeless if you're taking the New England Highway.
Very annoying for me!

Their target is to connect Sydney to Brisbane, so they'd want to do it in the fewest number of stops. So if that means putting the stop another 20 km up the highway, in order to make the rest of the route fit, I guess that's what they had to do.

I have no doubt that once Tesla increases the density of the network (which may happen as the Model 3 arrives) there will be a SC on the Central Coast part of the highway.

[Edit - Worth remembering that the earliest Australian supercharger maps showed some additional locations which have since been removed - including Central Coast]

I realise of course that everyone may have a personal preference as to where precisely the superchargers should be located....

But personally I am ecstatic that Tesla is reasonably sticking to their timetable to connect Sydney to Brisbane. In fact I cannot wait to take that route with the family as soon as the network is completed.

I look forward to more documentary confirmation that this is in fact a Tesla supercharger location and to the ground being broken soon!

Reactions: callmesam and Chuq
One thing I noticed from browsing the DA in detail is that all the submissions are against it. I'm guessing NIMBY types. Concerns about increased traffic, drunk people, pokies, and cutting down a 100 year old fig tree. One is from a competing service station. I don't know if the council will take these seriously or not.

At a guess I would say the competing service station complained about the destruction of a 100 year old fig tree, the enviroment is first and foremost every moment they live and breath.

...I cannot wait to take that route with the family as soon as the network is completed.

Why wait? Okay maybe because you need 2 or 3 longer stops but the trip is easily accomplished right now & so much better in a Tesla than in any other vehicle.

Artarmon SC -> Hunter Wetlands Centre (1-2 hours, have gone Sydney-PM direct many times without charging here but probably a good idea if not in a 90) -> Port Macquarie SC or The Observatory -> Coffs Harbour Showgrounds (haven’t needed to charge here but say 1-2 hours, 3p/32A adaptor required) -> Ballina Day Surgery (~2 hours) -> Brisbane

Why wait? Okay maybe because you need 2 or 3 longer stops but the trip is easily accomplished right now & so much better in a Tesla than in any other vehicle.

Artarmon SC -> Hunter Wetlands Centre (1-2 hours, have gone Sydney-PM direct many times without charging here but probably a good idea if not in a 90) -> Port Macquarie SC or The Observatory -> Coffs Harbour Showgrounds (haven’t needed to charge here but say 1-2 hours, 3p/32A adaptor required) -> Ballina Day Surgery (~2 hours) -> Brisbane
That's a nice neat summary WhiteStar but two things...

1. Don't have a a double charger (or any adapters for that matter); and
2. In a family of 5 with 3 tweens, even waiting at the super chargers is painful enough...

Now if it was just me... No wuckin furries... So at this stage I am hangin on the supercharger network to be finished so I can involve the family on a fun holiday without turning into an apologist for the Tesla.

• Funny
Reactions: callmesam and LGGD
I've only done BNE-SYD-BNE once and I did use the three phase power at Coff's Harbour showground and MangroveMike's and I have to say that in both cases I felt welcome, but even so I'd much rather not be dependent on the kindness of strangers (to mangle a Tennessee Williams quote). I monitor this thread and other related ones daily looking for progress on the BNE-SYD superchargers. It seems to be agonisingly slow but too early to start getting cranky just yet, they still have plenty of time to finish before the 1st of January 2017.

Reactions: MangroveMike
Hi Mangrove, actually there are two now, one at Wests in Mayfield, and this one in New Lambton.
I've checked out the New Lambton site, two chargers right in front of the front door.
This is great for me because I'm up in Newcastle all the time from Sydney. It's a doable round trip but this takes all the stress out of it.

This article looked hopeful but appears to just be about destination chargers.

Cruising down to Electric Avenue

Looks like the writer heard "high power wall connectors" and thought "power wall" ....

Well, that explains why I got a comment today about Wests having Tesla chargers - I thought only we knew ;-)

It was from a group of mechanics who were checking my car out today while I was waiting to pickup my daughter from school. They were super-interested in the technology and no fear about their changing industry.

In the 22 months I've had my car it never ceases to amaze me that a car can have so much positive effect and interest.

Reactions: callmesam
I was in Newcastle about 6 weeks ago and drove past. The old Hotel is still there so if this is the location it's likely a bit of a ways off. Has anyone been past recently?
I'll make this thread sticky if someone can take a picture to prove work has started.