Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Knockrow (Byron Bay) NSW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Moderators Note:
I agree with Richard that it is becoming a bit off topic.
If you wish to discuss the viability of Tesla and their ability to jump the chasm between Early Adopters and the Early Majority it would be best to start a new thread.
In any case I'm watching closely.
All good Meloccom, definitely way off topic. I've said my piece, superchargers in Melbourne and Brisbane are not a necessity to link the two cities, only facilities in between. Initially, I simply pointed out that LGGD was being overly critical in his assertion that Tesla had failed to link the cities by not building a supercharger in Brisbane, which is incorrect. Just two different perspectives, LGGD thinks that a few hundred owners (himself included), at most, in an area of a country that is already generously serviced by global standards (the country that is) are more important than other much more successful markets for Tesla that are significantly under serviced by comparison. Ultimately I think it is futile for Tesla to try and provide local service centres, superchargers and other infrastructure to all owners at a time when the concentration of owners wouldn't naturally support it, and this would place a suffocating level of overheads on the company. No need for hand bags at dawn.....

There was some interesting info above. What I calculate is that there is roughly a Tesla for every 500 people in Norway, based on a population of some 5 1/2 m. Australia has a Tesla for every 17,000+ people if I'm guessing correctly at about 1300 Teslas in the country.

When checking on the Tesla website for locations with destination chargers I noticed that may say available to patrons only. How strict is that policy? What's the etiquette? I assume asking is a first is a polite and good idea.
I always ring in advance (or at the very lest ask) unless it is in an open-for-all location such as a large shopping centre carpark.

Note: The Knockrow Supercharger (Macadamia Castle) is down and has been intermittently (mostly) down for the past week or so.

Tesla believes the fault has been identified but there is no timetable for the permanent fix at this point.

Anyone traveling in the area should be aware that it is highly likely to be not working or it may work but then shut down soon after you connect.

So, currently the dual port Coffs Harbour Supercharger at the Big Banana is the most northerly reliably functioning supercharger.

Fortunately, there are some HPWC options in the area of Knockrow. In particular the Byron at Byron Resort (which has a fantastic restaurant by the way) has 2 x 3/16 HPWCs. Also for those with dual or enhanced chargers there is 1 x 3/32 HPWC located at the Ballina Day Surgery which would be a faster option. This is located near the Ramada Ballina Hotel and there are numerous food options in the vicinity.

There are also plans to install a HPWC at the Macadamia Castle soon. There is currently a 1/30 J1772 at the location which requires an adapter and will deliver around 30km/h of range.

For those with CHAdeMO adapters there is a free Tritium Veefil at the very well located Byron Bay Library. I understand this unit is power restricted however and may only deliver around 120km/h of range.

Interesting. I wonder what the logic behind this is?

- For when all the SC bays are full?
- For owners with non-free supercharging who would prefer a slower, free charge?
- For use by non-Tesla owners (with adaptors if necessary)?

As a backup for any future/ongoing issues with the supercharger. (But also useful for your other first two suggestions) With regards to the third idea, there has long been a J1772 ChargePoint at the Macadamia Castle for other/all EVs. Although the owner of the Macadamia Castle is not responsible for the operations of the Tesla Supercharger he is super keen to provide the highest level of service to all Tesla owners (hence the emergency HPWC going in).