Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Ozona, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After reading the posts yesterday I decided to stop at the Quality Inn Ozona and talk to the manager.

What I found was a classic case of miscommunication mixed with overoptimistic expectations. Perhaps this will help:

1) Manager is Manish Patel. He keeps the place running. His wife Mohini Patel handles much of the business side of the operation.
They are not the owners, but they are responsible for p/l on the place. They have been managing the refurbishment of the rooms - the office area is next.

2) The hotel does not receive payment from Tesla. No parking spot lease fees, rent, or payment of any kind.
(I will not hold my breath waiting for Tesla to confirm or deny this report from Mr. Patel)

3) From the Manager's point of view, if a Tesla owner charges a car and uses none of the facilities it a revenue neutral transaction. If a Tesla owner uses the facilities and rents a room it is a revenue positive transaction. If a Tesla owner does not rent a room, but uses the facilities, it is a revenue negative transaction.

That last item is the rub.

Mr. Patel reports that Tesla owners have consumed meals in the lobby. Some of these owners did not ask to use the lobby and they left behind a mess that Mr. Patel had to clean up. The last time this happened Mr. Patel reached his tolerance limit and posted the signs on the charging kiosks.

Other Tesla owners assumed the coffee and breakfast were free, even if they had not rented a room.
According to Mr. Patel, that is an incorrect assumption and an overoptimistic expectation.

More details:
"day passes" to use the pool area cannot be granted due to liability issues (same issue with local families, not just us)
Mr. Patel has unsuccessfully attempted to get meals delivered to the hotel by the DQ and the Cafe Next Door.
The Manager would like to sell us meals, but complications with Quality Inn and hotel infrastructure make that unlikely.

Mr. Patel wants it plainly understood that we are all welcome to use the restrooms if we leave them clean.
Mr. Patel stated that he has contemplated asking Tesla to remove the SCs. I have no idea how that works, but I don't think we want that.

My 2 cent summary:
If you are not currently renting a room you do not have lobby, pool, exercise room, coffee, breakfast, or other privileges.
You can use the restroom if you leave it clean, but that's it.

I do not consider the Ozona Quality Inn an "unwelcoming hotel". Please look at it from the hotel's pov.

Two more: sorry for the lengthy post, and don't shoot the messenger.

After reading the posts yesterday I decided to stop at the Quality Inn Ozona and talk to the manager.

What I found was a classic case of miscommunication mixed with overoptimistic expectations. Perhaps this will help:

1) Manager is Manish Patel. He keeps the place running. His wife Mohini Patel handles much of the business side of the operation.
They are not the owners, but they are responsible for p/l on the place. They have been managing the refurbishment of the rooms - the office area is next.

2) The hotel does not receive payment from Tesla. No parking spot lease fees, rent, or payment of any kind.
(I will not hold my breath waiting for Tesla to confirm or deny this report from Mr. Patel)

3) From the Manager's point of view, if a Tesla owner charges a car and uses none of the facilities it a revenue neutral transaction. If a Tesla owner uses the facilities and rents a room it is a revenue positive transaction. If a Tesla owner does not rent a room, but uses the facilities, it is a revenue negative transaction.

That last item is the rub.

Mr. Patel reports that Tesla owners have consumed meals in the lobby. Some of these owners did not ask to use the lobby and they left behind a mess that Mr. Patel had to clean up. The last time this happened Mr. Patel reached his tolerance limit and posted the signs on the charging kiosks.

Other Tesla owners assumed the coffee and breakfast were free, even if they had not rented a room.
According to Mr. Patel, that is an incorrect assumption and an overoptimistic expectation.

More details:
"day passes" to use the pool area cannot be granted due to liability issues (same issue with local families, not just us)
Mr. Patel has unsuccessfully attempted to get meals delivered to the hotel by the DQ and the Cafe Next Door.
The Manager would like to sell us meals, but complications with Quality Inn and hotel infrastructure make that unlikely.

Mr. Patel wants it plainly understood that we are all welcome to use the restrooms if we leave them clean.
Mr. Patel stated that he has contemplated asking Tesla to remove the SCs. I have no idea how that works, but I don't think we want that.

My 2 cent summary:
If you are not currently renting a room you do not have lobby, pool, exercise room, coffee, breakfast, or other privileges.

I do not consider the Ozona Quality Inn an "unwelcoming hotel". Please look at it from the hotel's pov.

Charlie, many thanks and kudos from the bottom of my heart. I'm thoroughly impressed by all the great things you've done for Tesla and Tesla owners in West Texas and beyond.

Thanks for posting this Charlie.

When my wife and I are traveling and stop at a Hotel Supercharger we have always (so far) had very positive response from the Hotel employees.

Part if this may be in the way we communicate with them. We are very friendly when we approach the employees. We introduce ourselves and let them know how grateful we are that they host the Tesla Superchargers. We also ask for permission to use the restroom, and sometimes wait in the lobby.

When we have been at some of these hotels during the breakfast service we have also been invited to "Help Yourself and Enjoy". Again, we have expressed our appreciation in a very friendly manner. It is amazing how a friendly smile and kind words of appreciation are so warmly appreciated.

We NEVER approach the employees with an attitude of "Privilege" or demanding service. It is always with the attitude of appreciation and respect. Also, like a good boy scout, we always leave a place cleaner than when we arrived. We treat the Superchargers as if they were our home. If there is trash left we will clean it up while charging. If the charging handle is left on the ground we will hang it up, etc.

During our stop at Ozona on our last trip west on I-10 our experience was the same. It was during the day but we had a wonderful conversation with them, as well as using the restroom. Around the Superchargers there were left-over soda cups and fast food wrappers and napkins left at the curb. As always I cleaned up the area before going inside to use the restroom. I hope it was just some random person leaving the trash and not another Tesla driver. In either case, it was my home for a short while so it was my duty to clean the place up.

Last edited:
Graffi: ++ XHabjab: thank you!

Update as of late this afternoon:

*Management of the hotel follows this thread.

*Sundries vending area is likely to be available sooner than last reported. Plans are to include food items and a microwave.

*Breakfast and coffee are available for purchase from 6am to 9am. $10 for breakfast, $1 for coffee.
Please check with the front desk before you enter the serving area! Cash only until the sundries-area billing system is installed.

*Soda vending machines are available across the parking lot through the double doors.

*Pool passes may be on the horizon!

*Ok to use the restroom, but please politely ask the front desk if you wish to hang out in the lobby to eat or whatever.

Happy New Year!

My 2 cent summary:

Not shooting the messenger, but am curious about #2. What does he expect? I'm sure Tesla paid the owners of the parking lot (presumably the same as the hotel owners but perhaps not) for the right to place a supercharger there. Did he expect a per-use payment as well? That would be an unreasonable position at the start of the negotiation and a crazy one after the contract is signed. I'm just saying that someone did receive payment from Tesla at some point in the past.

Regardless, SC users certainly should have no expectation that they are allowed to simply use the hotel facilities without permission.

Not shooting the messenger, but am curious about #2. What does he expect? I'm sure Tesla paid the owners of the parking lot (presumably the same as the hotel owners but perhaps not) for the right to place a supercharger there. Did he expect a per-use payment as well? That would be an unreasonable position at the start of the negotiation and a crazy one after the contract is signed. I'm just saying that someone did receive payment from Tesla at some point in the past.
Not necessarily. Many of the supercharger leases were for no payment or a trivial payment. The hosts were having owners driving expensive cars stopping at their property with time to kill to spend money on food, shopping, etc. For hotels, they expect to get a few room nights each week out of it, maybe more. I’ve certainly stayed at hotels along the highway because that’s where the supercharger was, rather than any of the others nearby.

For hotels, they expect to get a few room nights each week out of it, maybe more. I’ve certainly stayed at hotels along the highway because that’s where the supercharger was, rather than any of the others nearby.
That's where "you personally aren't staying here tonight so you visiting here at best revenue neutral" comes off as rather myopic. I can't speak to if the longterm return is positive or negative, but that way of thinking is not how these sorts of "traffic generator" facilities work fiscally.

Of course having inherited the agreement means they don't necessarily think in those terms, and may not be planning their business model around that strategy. But if you aren't looking to use the potential it's unlikely to work out well for you.

Is there any word on the term length commonly used for these leases?

Last edited:
Reactions: TexasEV and PLUS EV
Not necessarily. Many of the supercharger leases were for no payment or a trivial payment. The hosts were having owners driving expensive cars stopping at their property with time to kill to spend money on food, shopping, etc. For hotels, they expect to get a few room nights each week out of it, maybe more. I’ve certainly stayed at hotels along the highway because that’s where the supercharger was, rather than any of the others nearby.

OK. I'm sure some property owners did make the deal for marketing purposes as you mention. Still very little reason to expect on-going payments.

The reports I’ve seen were five-year leases.
That's what I've read on these forums a few times as well.

This supercharger opened 2 years ago, so that would mean 3 years remaining. Perhaps the hotel changed ownership in the last 2 years and the new owner doesn't really want the supercharger. In any case, they would have known what they were getting into when they bought the property and took on it's existing business agreements.

My general take is the same as Bete Noire's. It's just myopic to be hostile toward potential customers. Of course I don't stay at the hotel every time I use a hotel supercharger, but I do stay at a lot of them. I've probably spent 30 nights in supercharger hotels in the last couple years and there have been many times where I wanted to stay there but they were sold out. In the case of a place like Ozona, I would be even more likely to stay at the supercharger hotel since it is in a rural area with few other options.

Reactions: ℬête Noire
... Perhaps the hotel changed ownership in the last 2 years and the new owner doesn't really want the supercharger. In any case, they would have known what they were getting into when they bought the property and took on it's existing business agreements...
The agreement and the construction occurred as the hotel was transitioning franchise from Best Western to Quality Inn. I do not know if ownership transferred at that time, but it would not be surprising.

I doubt Mr. Patel was involved in the siting or agreement, but he was VERY excited about it when I was there shortly after opening. The person at the front desk called him to come out and talk to me. He had a lot of questions and was very interested.

It's a shame the shine has gone off the apple for him.