Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Port Macquarie NSW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is anyone else a bit concerned about the isolated location of some of the current Australian superchargers?
This one at Cassegrain (and the soon to be built Ewingsdale) appears to be out the back of nowhere...
I thought Tesla's intention was to place them near existing services like service centres, fast food restaurants etc.
Sitting at Cassegrain for 40-55 mins at 11pm doesn't sound like much fun to me at all, putting myself in my wife's shoes, I can see her being really impressed and start to question my EV choice.
Are the toilets even open outside Cassegrain hours?

Last edited:
Cashie there are servos a couple of minutes North (Kempsey) and South (Port) of the one at Cassegrain. The servos at Kempsey and Port are immediately of the highway also. I much prefer Cassegrain as a location than either of the two servos as they only have fast food options, Kempsey has a Coffee Club but all the other usual junkfood outlets also. I know you don't want to double stop but I think being situated at existing petrol stations is the opposite of what I would prefer. Cassegrain fyi is about 25 seconds from the highway, I wouldn't categorise it as the middle of nowhere.

No but the wallabies don't mind :)

That's fine for me, the wife of course might not feel the same..

I know you don't want to double stop but I think being situated at existing petrol stations is the opposite of what I would prefer.

Double stopping would be the only option if you needed a toilet and a feed/drink, it is a bit of a catch 22 with these locations, do you put it near something that is 24 hour, most likely a fast food joint or servo, or don't you.
I know for me, I'd rather have the charger near something that is open 24 hours (even if I have to walk for 10-15 minutes), a McDonalds or similar at least has a toilet, maybe WiFi and a coffee (not the best coffee of course but better than nothing).

Whilst many McDonalds advertise being open 24 hours, I stopped at Goulburn McDonalds a few years ago at 2AM in the morning after a very long day working in Canberra. Only drive-through was open and I had to eat in my car in a very dark parking lot. I didn't test for access to toilets but I don't think they were open at that time.
So if you are there out of hours, a double stop may not be a lot worse than normal.
Edit:
Port Macquarie Highway McDonalds is open to 11 PM except Friday to Midnight and 24 hours Saturday night so not always 24 hours.

Last edited:
Nothings available once the winery closes; I was there midnightish.
It's a lot better tho than spending the night at a showground.

I hear that the toilets are SUPPOSED to be 24/hr. Hopefully this gets sorted out soon if not already.

Whilst many McDonalds advertise being open 24 hours, I stopped at Goulburn McDonalds a few years ago at 2AM in the morning after a very long day working in Canberra. Only drive-through was open and I had to eat in my car in a very dark parking lot. I didn't test for access to toilets but I don't think they were open at that time.
So if you are there out of hours, a double stop may not be a lot worse than normal.
Edit:
Port Macquarie Highway McDonalds is open to 11 PM except Friday to Midnight and 24 hours Saturday night so not always 24 hours.

LOL, you are obviously not an experienced McDonald's customer :) 'open 24hr' pretty much always refers just to the drive through.

It might well be, just seems a strange model for the location/s of these SCs.
I understand that the ones in EU and the US are generally placed near something.
I also understand that Tesla are limited on where they can put them, ie cost, power and available land etc.
My experience with a collection of SC in California was that some are a tad difficult like the corner of a Westfield carpark - totally deserted at night.

I've been to the Cassegrain S/C and I think it's brilliant. If your travelling at 2 in the morning I imagine you might need to adjust your outlook a tad. Two stops is not so bad.

We're in groundbreaking territory, remember, pioneers in the only recently opened EV wilderness. And Tesla is installing these chargers as part of their approach to facilitate the transition. It will take time.

Enjoy!

I was dead against these non 24hour locations, but on reflection, I have changed my mind. I can only imagine that it's quite difficult for Tesla to negotiate locations at 24hour service centres, I'm sure it's MUCH easier for them to negotiate locations like Cassegrain or a local council that's looking to green up.

I'm not sure about who actually owns 24hour fuel stations, but I'm sure oil companies would have some say in providing land for EV charge stations. As EVs increase in popularity, I'm sure more locations in places like that will become the norm, perhaps 15 years in the future 50% of vehicles will be recharging, and the other half filling up with dead trees.

Saying that, I do hope that Tesla at least try to put them somekind of walking distance to late services however, the Sydney-Melbourne route seems better in this regard. Here's hoping the two intermediate SC sites to come on this route meet this criteria.

BTW, is the permanent Euroa site definitely going to be at the Shell service station?