Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Port Macquarie NSW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the two sites at Heatherbrae and Coffs (or north of Port) will be much closer to services. Port is the perfect location in terms of distance from Sydney but to actually go into Port Macquarie is definitely a hike. I am not in favour at all of the servo based SCs. This route is Sydney to Brisbane, I think Cassegrain makes a great lunch stop and 'The Farm' at great dinner stop with a short charge in between if needed, or vice versa. Trying to get these things located in the first place has to be a nightmare, nevermind dealing with the vested interest in servos. Maybe as Zoltrix has pointed out, it will be a lot easier in the futue but for now I imagine finding willing sites, with power close to the highways is tricky enough.

I think the two sites at Heatherbrae and Coffs (or north of Port) will be much closer to services. Port is the perfect location in terms of distance from Sydney but to actually go into Port Macquarie is definitely a hike. I am not in favour at all of the servo based SCs. This route is Sydney to Brisbane, I think Cassegrain makes a great lunch stop and 'The Farm' at great dinner stop with a short charge in between if needed, or vice versa. Trying to get these things located in the first place has to be a nightmare, nevermind dealing with the vested interest in servos. Maybe as Zoltrix has pointed out, it will be a lot easier in the futue but for now I imagine finding willing sites, with power close to the highways is tricky enough.

If the location is The Farm, you better pick your days if you hope for dinner there. No food after 3pm except for one restaurant that is open Fri/Sat/Sunday nights.

I'm doing the trek today from Sydney to Port Macquarie for the long weekend. Should get to the PM SC today around 5:30pm. Anything open there? I'm guessing nothing will be. Half hour charge should be enough to get me into Port Macquarie. Kids will have there scooters so they can ride around the car park there for a little while as the car is charging. Maybe grab a coffee before I get to the SC, anything close by?

Any advice or recommendations around the PM SC?

upload_2016-6-10_9-53-40.png

There's a servo just before it. It has Maccas, BP, subway etc

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Also Champ, Port is only about a ten minute drive from Cassegrain so you may not need a 30 minutes worth of charging. I'm not sure if Cassegrain will still be open, it normally shuts around five but with the long weekend it may be open later.

Thanks NovoCasGreeny.
We made it with 17kms of range left. Had to do a pit stop at the KFC up the road. Toilet stop for the kids.

So here are the detail of my trip from the St Leonard's SC to Port Macquarie SC:-

Reactions: LGGD
View attachment 180264 View attachment 180266 View attachment 180267 View attachment 180268

Thanks NovoCasGreeny.
We made it with 17kms of range left. Had to do a pit stop at the KFC up the road. Toilet stop for the kids.

So here are the detail of my trip from the St Leonard's SC to Port Macquarie SC:-

So the 509km of range as claimed on the website is way off huh? I'm seeing you had 390. Does this mean I wouldn't be able to do the same run if I had a 75? Now I'm worried. If I can swing it to buy an S or X before my model 3 I'm concerned I couldn't make it from Syd to Port in the base model of either.

So the 509km of range as claimed on the website is way off huh? I'm seeing you had 390. Does this mean I wouldn't be able to do the same run if I had a 75? Now I'm worried. If I can swing it to buy an S or X before my model 3 I'm concerned I couldn't make it from Syd to Port in the base model of either.
The range to use is the 'typical' one; the 'rated' range just doesn't work. 'typical' on a flat road is good for 100 KpH and 400 km in an 85. That is Sydney to Port (just). I've done it many times.
When you introduce hills into the equation that's quite different.

• Love
Reactions: diesel
As you say Syd to Port Macq direct is tight in an 85 or 90, and probably not possible in a 60 or 75 unless you drive real slow, but why do it direct anyway? You want to avoid charging it to 100% too many times for battery life, and want to avoid range stress, so why not stop off at the Newcastle supercharger (expected 2016) or the 3 phase equipped Hunter Wetlands Centre in the meantime? That's my plan in August!

Note that I have had my car for 3 weeks (3400km) as of today so that makes me an expert!

Last edited:
Reactions: Novatec and houdini
As you say Syd to Port Macq direct is tight in an 85 or 90, and probably not possible in a 60 or 75 unless you drive real slow, but why do it direct anyway? You want to avoid charging it to 100% too many times for battery life, and want to avoid range stress, so why not stop off at the Newcastle supercharger (expected 2016) or the 3 phase equipped Hunter Wetlands Centre in the meantime? That's my plan in August!

Note that I have had my car for 3 weeks (3400km) as of today so that makes me an expert!
O
1100kms a week, your beating me, but I'm going to claim there's a 40,000km minimum to qualify, I believe Keiron may be setting the pace on both fronts.

• Funny
Reactions: RichardMcN
CAUTION at CASSEGRAIN SC

Needs a better access road! Got side swiped yesterday by a bus on the way out of the 2 way access road to Cassegrain's.

Finished charging and was on exit road about 1/3 way out when a bus came in. I stopped and pulled over as far left as I could. The bus then passed me opposite direction and kept going as it collected the rear quarter panel, bumper and wheel. He didn't stop and didn't even know he had hit me so had to chase him down.

Tesla damage.jpg
IMG_5549.jpg
Bus Damage.jpg

View attachment 198549 View attachment 198550 View attachment 198549 View attachment 198550 View attachment 198551

Last edited: