Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Antonio, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The best bet for location at this point is probably the Rudy's in Selma. It is less than 2 miles off of 1604, which is probably going to be used by people traveling I-10, and it's directly off of I-35, so it's good for that as well. It's a bit outside of the city proper, but it's as close as you are going to get without going to one of the incorporated cities surrounded by the city proper. (Alamo Heights, Hollywood Park, etc.)
It also gets around being in San Antonio and under whatever control the car lobby may have on the city proper for getting permits shut down.
Tesla has also partnered with Rudy's on 2 locations in Houston, so it would fit the mold there as well. Not sure if anyone knows anyone at Rudy's management or could ask, but maybe this is where we start?
@houstonian had a conversation with some Rudy's Corporate folks he bumped into while supercharging at one of the Rudy's in Houston. Reported on in the Supercharger Richmond, TX thread. And apparently they said Webster and Richmond in Texas and Oklahoma City, OK were the only other SC sites they currently had in the pipeline. From their comments about the importance they placed on available parking when considering supercharger installations, I'm not sure this Rudy's in Selma would work for them unless they also own/control what looks like the unpaved lot behind the property for added parking.

Has anyone validated the charger in Cotulla that appears on PlugShare but not on the Tesla website works or is there?
I just did. It is there and functional. 214V, my car maxed out at it's top end of 48 amps. I don't know how much power it has. The Taco Pelenque is open 24/7. Nobody is going to check if you eat there, but I recommend it. Similar to Taco Cabana, except more authentic (and much less salt).

So, if trying to make it from San Marcos to Laredo, this is a valid stop until we get a Supercharger in San Antonio. There, back On Topic.

• Informative
Reactions: mociaf9
Apologies to those thinking this is news about a SA Supercharger location!

I was looking the other day to see if San Antonio (at #7) was the largest city in the US with no Supercharger and was surprised to find that Philadelphia, at number six, also had none. Theirs opens this week, so now SA will bear that dubious honor.

The next largest city with no Supercharger? Seattle, at #18.

BerTX, i'm going to have to disagree here that those are remotely the same situation. Philly has a charger to the northeast (Burlington - coming from New York), that's 41 miles away and one to the southwest (Claymont - coming from DC) which is 25 miles away. So anyone coming in to / out of Philly can get to and from that charger on one charger.

As for Seattle, they've got two chargers within 30 miles with one within 15 miles of the city center, to the north and east respectively, so unless you're coming from the south, you can again get in and back out to that charger.

San Antonio on the other hand, has 1 charger you can get to and from (San Marcos - coming from Austin/Dallas 45 miles away), while anyone trying to drive the Houston to San Antonio to Houston route or coming in from any other direction can't make the trip. Considering the fact that they'd said they'd have 2 the area by the end of the year and the amount of people who live and drive in this area, I'd consider this the largest hole in the supercharger network in the country.

It really doesn't help when you want to make inroads in to selling cars in the state, to have owners who have to tell people, "yeah, that's true, you can't drive to San Antonio and back or anywhere else you'd want to go in west Texas past there on I-10."

BerTX, i'm going to have to disagree here that those are remotely the same situation. Philly has a charger to the northeast (Burlington - coming from New York), that's 41 miles away and one to the southwest (Claymont - coming from DC) which is 25 miles away. So anyone coming in to / out of Philly can get to and from that charger on one charger.

As for Seattle, they've got two chargers within 30 miles with one within 15 miles of the city center, to the north and east respectively, so unless you're coming from the south, you can again get in and back out to that charger.

San Antonio on the other hand, has 1 charger you can get to and from (San Marcos - coming from Austin/Dallas 45 miles away), while anyone trying to drive the Houston to San Antonio to Houston route or coming in from any other direction can't make the trip. Considering the fact that they'd said they'd have 2 the area by the end of the year and the amount of people who live and drive in this area, I'd consider this the largest hole in the supercharger network in the country.

It really doesn't help when you want to make inroads in to selling cars in the state, to have owners who have to tell people, "yeah, that's true, you can't drive to San Antonio and back or anywhere else you'd want to go in west Texas past there on I-10."

And don't forget the gaping hole on I-35! San Marcus to Laredo. Just ONE Supercharger in San Antonio would fix both Interstate highway problems.

Reactions: BerTX
Apologies to those thinking this is news about a SA Supercharger location!

I was looking the other day to see if San Antonio (at #7) was the largest city in the US with no Supercharger and was surprised to find that Philadelphia, at number six, also had none. Theirs opens this week, so now SA will bear that dubious honor.

The next largest city with no Supercharger? Seattle, at #18.
Los Angeles is the largest US city without a supercharger.

*North Dakota glares at you*

You clipped the previous line there: and the amount of people who live and drive in this area, I'd consider this the largest hole in the supercharger network in the country.

I'm not saying it's the largest hole, I-94 across North Dakota and Highway 1 across central Canada have those spots on lock down for the foreseeable future. My point was, for the number of people (read cars on the road), this hole is a problem. The populations of North Dakota and Montana alone (1.8 Million) or Saskatchewan and Manitoba (2.5 Million) barley get to the total population of metro San Antonio (2.5 Million), and that's before we add in coming from Austin or Houston populations to get there and back. The point is this could all be solved with 1 supercharger rather than the, lets go with several, it will take to fill the above gaps.

Reactions: plumazul
San Antonio on the other hand, has 1 charger you can get to and from (San Marcos - coming from Austin/Dallas 45 miles away), while anyone trying to drive the Houston to San Antonio to Houston route or coming in from any other direction can't make the trip.

What am I missing? I've made the Houston to San Antonio and back trip in my 3 without any problems. Charged in Flatonia on the way there, used a 120 outlet at my friends in Leon Springs, charged at Columbus on the way back.

If I needed to do it as a day trip (so no charging at my friend's) I'd take the 7 mile detour to charge up at San Marcos rather than Flatonia, which would likely be offset in part due to the faster charging of the more depleted battery.

I've also made a 1 day trip from Corpus Christi to San Antonio and back w/out charging in San Antonio. I took my nephew to San Japan, we stopped at Three Rivers Supercharger on the way for breakfast, and a potty break on the way back. The second stop was opportunity charging only, we had plenty of range to make it back to my sister's place (they installed a 14-30 outlet for me).

Screen Shot 2018-12-20 at 10.03.20 AM.png

What am I missing?

A lot.

I'm glad things work out for you but your particular needs do not match others passing through San Antonio or visiting the city. The options you mention are not available to everyone and taking detours off the main interstate is NOT the message EV makers want to send to the general public. Also, Tesla was making cars many years before you bought your M3, and many of those can not cross the gaps on I-10 and I-35. What makes this problem so aggravating is it's so easy to fix. Build ONE Supercharger in SA and it's fixed, for now. How can Tesla's Supercharger team be so blind?

Reactions: Bacalao and BerTX