Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - West Hartford, CT

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The West Farms mall supercharger appears fully functional! Just confirmed nearly 100 kW on my 60 kWh at the beginning of charge. I was the only one in the charging stalls, with the exception of 3 ICE's who spilled over from the holiday mall shopper. Better than Black friday when all 8 stalls were completely ICE'd out (thankfully this was a few days prior to the station being switched on).
westfarms_charging.jpg
west_farms_finish.jpg

Those lines are original, they just put new paint on them. Obviously Tesla was given these spots/location by the property owners, so "beggars can't be choosers" but it is a bad location. Even if the lines were painted straight, you still have the problem of having to stop traffic to back up. I believe the reason they are angled is because of the flow of traffic.

Fortunately most of the times I have been there, I was able to pull off and out of traffic flow and swing in, then back up, only interrupting traffic for a moment. I was only able to do this because there were no other cars there.

I have had no issues backing in and pulling out when I was there. I think if the lines were painted angled in the other direction it would be harder to back in and easier to pull out....it seem like six in one half a dozen in the other.

It is as you said 6 one way, half a dozen the other. If one approaches the chargers with the Westfarms Mall on your left, the angle of the lines, works. If one is coming from Rt 84, despite what the nav system tells you, you have to approach the chargers by going through the parking lot and turning right, behind Red Robin. This makes it difficult to back in, if there are other cars there. If no one is there, you can swing in, getting out of traffic's way.

Recently I was returning from the Danbury area, heading East on 84. I decided to use the nav system to see how it wanted me to get to the chargers. The nav system wanted me to pass the entrance to Corbins Corner and turn left just beyond Red Robin.
Problem is, you can't turn left. That road "legally" is only accessible for traffic coming from the other direction.

Just a little trick to pass along to those charging and looking to get back on Rt 84 East. When finished charging, pull away and drive on the back road, that goes behind the plaza. Since your car is already pointed in that direction, it is much more convenient. This saves you having to deal with traffic lights and obviously traffic. The "access" road will bring you out behind Sears Automotive. You just turn right and you will be in the proper lane for the RT 84E exit.

ICE'd parking spots are getting chronic here. I spoke to a manager at Red a Robin about a silver Acura with a spoiler always parked in spot 2B. I also called Tesla at the number they posted on their forum:((877) 798-3752) and they called the Manager. It turns out is was an employee. The car was moved right away.

I was there on Sunday and two chargers were ICE'd. I didn't make any noise about it since there were 6 open chargers available but perhaps I should for future benefit.

One a different note, I like the new look of the lit chargers. Very cool looking at night. What isn't cool are the angled lines for the parking spaces. They need to be repainted to straight. Backing in when driving towards the mall requires a greater than 90 degree turn and is kinda ridiculous. I'm surprised this got passed zoning. Usually angled parking is when traffic is from a single direction with front in parking. This is on a two lane road and charging requires backing in.

shelbri, the angle of the lines are original. They just repainted them when putting in the chargers. I gather that Tesla was given these spots since in the big picture, they were just overflow parking spots for Red Robin. Anyone actually shopping in the plaza wouldn't park there.

I have mentioned a couple of times in this thread, my concern about the location of these stalls. Anyone and probably most people that will use this charger, will be coming from RT 84. So, you have to turn into the plaza, then head towards Red Robin, but you have to go to the left of Red Robin, then turn right towards the stalls. You can't go to the right of Red Robin to get behind it because you can't make a left turn.

I don't think painting the lines straight will change anything. You are still going to have to stop traffic to back up. I do think, assuming most Tesla traffic will be coming from the left side of Red Robin, they should re-angle the lines in the other direction.

bhuwan, where were you trying to make a left? I don't think Tesla can do anything about what the Nav system tells you to do since it's Google Maps. Perhaps Tesla, on their website at least, make a note about how to properly get to the chargers. If you are approaching the chargers with the Westfarms Mall on your right, then you have to turn into the Corbins Corner plaza at the traffic light. Make your way behind Red Robin, via the left side of the building.

I too am glad for this charger, but it is the only charging station I have been to where you immediately pull out into traffic. Very poorly placed, in that regard.

It's there again today, both on my way to CT early this afternoon and now on my way home. When I arrived this time it was the only car occupying a charger spot. A little puzzling because there are other spots around. Maybe this individual is just used to parking there and resents that it's now "off limits".