Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers - West Des Moines, IA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greetings TMC (West Des Moines, IA thread):

I just had a very nice e-mail exchange with Matthew - the author of the Des Moines Register article crmatson quoted.

He noted the following in response to my request for some additional details:

"Unfortunately, I don't have much more information at the moment. I reached out to Tesla for more details but have not received a response.

From what Hy-Vee told me, I don't believe this is an extended partnership, so it's just for the one location. As for an opening date, the only details I received were that Tesla/Hy-Vee hope the stations are up and running by the end of the year.

If I get other details, I'll be sure to update what I wrote.

For my own curiosity: Are you a Tesla driver in Iowa? Since Iowa doesn't allow direct sales and there are few public charging stations, I've been curious about the experience Tesla drivers have in the state."

I will check in with Matthew from time to time to see if he gets some additional details (and post the updates here). He has also noted that he'll update his column when he learns more.

Take care,
Chris
Misleading to say "Iowa doesn't allow direct sales" .... anyone can order a Tesla directly from Tesla and even have it delivered to their door. Alternatively, delivery can take place at any Tesla service center. In any event, there is nothing preventing an Iowan from ordering a Tesla. Period.

Misleading to say "Iowa doesn't allow direct sales" .... anyone can order a Tesla directly from Tesla and even have it delivered to their door. Alternatively, delivery can take place at any Tesla service center. In any event, there is nothing preventing an Iowan from ordering a Tesla. Period.

Perhaps. But I think you're nitpicking over semantics and missing the point. If you want to test drive a Tesla in Iowa, you cannot simply because of the law. I think that law is silly and should be changed.

Perhaps. But I think you're nitpicking over semantics and missing the point. If you want to test drive a Tesla in Iowa, you cannot simply because of the law. I think that law is silly and should be changed.
Well, I would agree that Tesla can't do TEST DRIVES in Iowa, but that's different than being able to sell directly, which Tesla can do, and does to anyone who orders a computer, on-line.

Again, you're getting hung up on the word "directly". It's clear that what Matthew meant by that word is that one cannot go into a Tesla store in Iowa and order a Tesla there, and it's only because of the laws. "directly" might not have been the best choice of a word, but his meaning was not ambiguous.

Very few US cities have more than 1 SC in or near the city. I would be frankly shocked if DSM was getting more than 1 this early in the game. In Addition, the proposed location for the first SC is within 1 mile of both of the major interstates that run through DSM (80 and 35) so I would think 1 would be enough for now. That might change once the M3 becomes commonplace.

So I see a permit in Iowa City too, now. Anyone know when that popped up? That would get me to Rockford or Peru!
If you go to supercharge.info and click on the Changes option at the top right, you can see when changes are made. The Peru, IL Superchargers went online two days ago. The Coralville, IA site information was added yesterday.

Also, if you click on the icon for a Supercharger that isn't open yet, the pop-up shows the status (Permit or Construction) and how many days it has been in that status.

I'll be driving from San Francisco to Iowa for 4th of July, family road trip in the Model X. Only wish the SuperCharger was installed, since my next best option is to hang out at Johnny's Italian Restaurant in West Des Moines, overnight.

Interesting that the I35 / I80 interchange is late to the SuperCharger party. Where does all the wind-powered electricity in Iowa go?

I'll be driving from San Francisco to Iowa for 4th of July, family road trip in the Model X. Only wish the SuperCharger was installed, since my next best option is to hang out at Johnny's Italian Restaurant in West Des Moines, overnight.

Interesting that the I35 / I80 interchange is late to the SuperCharger party. Where does all the wind-powered electricity in Iowa go?

What a coincidence. It is interesting we named our MX "Blue Lightning".
Also, we will be coming with our MX from the other coast a little later in the month for a family gathering in Iowa. We plan to use some of the RV parks and public chargers along our route to charge. We have found when we go off the beaten path that RV parks make great charging locations. Many will allow you to charge for free or a nominal fee, if you are only occupy a slot for a short time. Experienced EV travelers recommend you map out a route and call ahead to RV parks on your route.

What a coincidence. It is interesting we named our MX "Blue Lightning".
Also, we will be coming with our MX from the other coast a little later in the month for a family gathering in Iowa. We plan to use some of the RV parks and public chargers along our route to charge. We have found when we go off the beaten path that RV parks make great charging locations. Many will allow you to charge for free or a nominal fee, if you are only occupy a slot for a short time. Experienced EV travelers recommend you map out a route and call ahead to RV parks on your route.

If you're passing through the Des Moines area, and would like a faster charge than the destination chargers (200V/40A) at Johnny's Steakhouse, you're welcome to come use my HPWC (240V/80A).

| Grimes, IA | Electric Car Charging Station | PlugShare