Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla gives $3,750 discount for Model 3/Y in the US this month

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Damn, this is working fast! My local inventory had 8 available teslas including some LR that almost made me jump ship on my MYP, but they already have my money for Monday pickup lol.

I looked again and all 8 are gone. People snatching these up asap! I hope they continue this all month for everyone and don’t end up cutting it short if they catch up on the people declining.

Reactions: cdub
I'm thinking that they internally call it a "referral credit" for Tesla's tax reporting. Maybe the same as advertising expense for them, or somesuch. ;) Whatever they call it, I do hope the reduced price also correlates to lower state taxes paid. I had my bank make out a cashier's check for the expected and known balance this morning when I woke up. By the time I got back, with the printed check, this had all happened and now I have to take the check back to the bank sometime real soon and have them cut me another lower amount once I know the new total. Thing is, they can't tell me until 24 hours before pickup. I do hope the bank can change out the check instantly since I take delivery Tuesday at noon.

I'm thinking that they internally call it a "referral credit" for Tesla's tax reporting. Maybe the same as advertising expense for them, or somesuch. ;) Whatever they call it, I do hope the reduced price also correlates to lower state taxes paid. I had my bank make out a cashier's check for the expected and known balance this morning when I woke up. By the time I got back, with the printed check, this had all happened and now I have to take the check back to the bank sometime real soon and have them cut me another lower amount once I know the new total. Thing is, they can't tell me until 24 hours before pickup. I do hope the bank can change out the check instantly since I take delivery Tuesday at noon.
Someone already confirmed it lowers the amount of the vehicle and subsequently the amount of taxes.

worse would be to take delivery in December to get the $3750 and then Tesla decides to lower the prices at the beginning of the year in addition to the new tax credit. They already lowered prices in China due to increased competition there. Who knows, might happen here too..

Reactions: Daekwan and acpd
worse would be to take delivery in December to get the $3750 and then Tesla decides to lower the prices at the beginning of the year in addition to the new tax credit. They already lowered prices in China due to increased competition there. Who knows, might happen here too..
My price is lower than the price it is on the site today, so it is a win win..Plus I rather have the discount on the point of sale vs wait a year for a tax credit..

My price is lower than the price it is on the site today, so it is a win win..Plus I rather have the discount on the point of sale vs wait a year for a tax credit..
Me too. I originally ordered my MYP (later switched to MYLR) in early April 2022, so my price reflects that amount. Receiving this $3,750 credit really solved a problem I was wondering about - how to delay delivery into 2023 for my new MYLR (Due Dec 02 - Dec 31). Plus, in my state (AZ), EV licensing discounts expire at the end of 2022, so I’d really love to lock-in at the current, lower rate.

If you don't qualify for the tax credit though this is a pretty sweet end to 2022 getting $4K off with taxes.

If I ordered the same car now it's $4K more anyway so this completely neutralizes the tax incentive.

Also get the money "now" vs waiting until filing in 2024 or spreading out the tax credit over the course of the entire year.

I just picked up mine yesterday afternoon... Sad. Called up the service center and they said no. If only I had delayed it a day due to the weather.
A few days after I picked up my model S 90D in 2017, they started selling a 100D for the same price.

Others just missed the AP2 update.

Others just missed the MCU update.

The list goes on.

You aren’t the only one. It sucks. But since then, I simply enjoy the car. Hindsight is always 20/20.

Last edited:
When do you guys normally get "first contact" from an SA? I haven't heard from anyone at Tesla yet, even though my EDD is Dec 2 - 13. The first date has slipped every day for a week now, but the 13th is holding. Was thinking of ways to push back to January until this rebate came up, and now I'd like to get a hold of someone to push this along (my original EDD was Apr - Jun 2023, so it would be great to get the car this much sooner). TIA

Last edited:
When do you guys normally get "first contact" from an SA? I haven't heard from anyone at Tesla yet, even though my EDD is Dec 2 - 13. The first date has slipped every day for a week now, but the 13th is holding. Was thinking of ways to push back to January until this rebate came up, and now I'd like to get a hold of someone to push this along (my original EDD was Apr - Jun 2023, so it would be great to get the car this much sooner). TIA
You'll get a text from your SA when your VIN is assigned. You can reply to that text with any questions you have.