Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an AWD with 19” and a LR RWD with Aeros. The 19” tires really hurt range. AWD is also worse. I would estimate about 80 or 90 km greater range for my RWD. It is the trip car. The AWD is a lot quicker but the RWD is still plenty quick. I do think the LR RWD is the sweet spot.

I was surprised looking at the feature chart. I had thought the SR lacked streaming music, traffic displayed on the map, satellite map imagery and the web browser. When I looked, the SR+ seemed like a better buy. One user report said no traffic displayed but traffic is used for routine on the SR.

The safety of charging a range limited battery to 100% depends on how it is software limited. If max charge is limited the 100% should be safe. If max discharge is limited the 100% isn’t safe I.e. it is just like 100% on the larger battery. I haven’t seen anything indicating which case it is.

• Helpful
Reactions: houdini
I am hiring one in San Francisco to visit Fremont and the Gigafactory, and may be able to get one in UK also.

Check out Turo to hire a M3 in the USA. There are plenty of Tesla's on there that owners will hire out and it's generally cheaper than normal hire cars.

I hired a black LR M3 on Turo from San Jose in November last year. I drove it around Silicon Valley for the day, including dropping into the Fremont factory and loved it. I also hired another blue LR M3 through Turo for a day in Boston and took it on an amazing drive around Massachusetts. There won't be any M3 available in the UK yet but there are a few companies that hire out MS and MX, although pricey.

anyone know how you can salary package a Model 3? Novated leases are tricky as they wont be able to buy the model 3 for quite a while.

With previous Novated leases I've generally arranged for purchase of the car myself, got it approved by the loan company and then had them do the final purchase when ready. It can involve some more leg work but is usually straight forward. The other option is an Associate Lease. This works like a Novated Lease but involves an Associate (eg spouse) purchasing the car and then leasing it to your employer through salary packaging. It's possible to set it up yourself but easier when a lease company (some offer it) does it all for you for a small management fee. It's effectively a legal form of income splitting.

I'm considering the option of my wife purchasing a M3 SR+ through her small business and hopefully benefiting from Labors 20% immediate depreciation (if they get in) then establishing an Associate Lease to my employer. Something to discuss with my accountant!

Usually in the following order:
- Tesla employees
- Existing Tesla owners with a reservation
- Reservation holders
- Public
This was certainly the order when they first releases the cars but I think it is moot now given their production capacity.
I agree. Given the current production rate of likely over 5,000/week I think that existing Australian reservation holders will get their cars very quickly once deliveries begin, and new reservations will be delivered within weeks. New Zealand deliveries may occur at the same time, or a bit later? Not sure.

It's getting very hard to justify a SR as opposed to an SR+... doesn't even have TACC, even the Ioniq has that...
Are you sure that the Model 3 SR does not have TACC (and Auto Steer)?

I searched the Model 3 forums for an answer to that question but couldn’t find anything.

At the moment, the Model 3 configuration appears to show that all versions come with the base AP features of TACC and Auto Steer. See
Design Your Model 3 | Tesla

Even though Tesla is deliberately trying to upsell the SR+ version, the base SR is a very compelling car for the price.

Check out Turo to hire a M3 in the USA. There are plenty of Tesla's on there that owners will hire out and it's generally cheaper than normal hire cars.

I hired a black LR M3 on Turo from San Jose in November last year. I drove it around Silicon Valley for the day, including dropping into the Fremont factory and loved it. I also hired another blue LR M3 through Turo for a day in Boston and took it on an amazing drive around Massachusetts. There won't be any M3 available in the UK yet but there are a few companies that hire out MS and MX, although pricey.
Yes, I have my Turo M3 for San Francisco in August. We have hired a MS for last few years in UK, but they may have M3 by August if they order on 1st May.

I wish I could rent an M3 in Auckland for my 3 week stay in New Zealand this coming July! But I know they won’t be available by then. There are Model S rentals available but they are over US$2,200/week, so I am reluctantly going to have to rent an ICE. :eek:

I know someone who rented a 40kWh Leaf in NZ and found it brilliant. There are heaps of fast chargers there so he had no issues getting around with it.

It’s no Tesla, but heaps better than an ICE!

I know someone who rented a 40kWh Leaf in NZ and found it brilliant. There are heaps of fast chargers there so he had no issues getting around with it.

It’s no Tesla, but heaps better than an ICE!
Thanks, but a Leaf won’t work for my planned North Island trip itinerary: Auckland -> Lake Taupo -> Piha -> Auckland. I am not willing to rely on scattered J1772 chargers that when I arrive may be occupied or may not even be operational.

Is anyone else concerned about the heat and and UV coming though the glass roof?
I wish there is a metal roof option.

Sun Hazards in Your Car - SkinCancer.org

UV radiation from the sun, associated with about 90 percent of all skin cancers, reaches the earth as long- wavelength UVA and shortwave UV B rays. glass effectively blocks UVB, and windshields are specially treated to block UVA as well, but a car’s side and rear windows allow UVA to penetrate.

Are you sure that the Model 3 SR does not have TACC (and Auto Steer)?

I searched the Model 3 forums for an answer to that question but couldn’t find anything.

At the moment, the Model 3 configuration appears to show that all versions come with the base AP features of TACC and Auto Steer. See
Design Your Model 3 | Tesla

Even though Tesla is deliberately trying to upsell the SR+ version, the base SR is a very compelling car for the price.

I guess we won't know until we can order one. And even then, we'll have to contact a Service Centre, since SR is off-menu.

If the SR doesn't come with Autopilot as Standard, then it gets hard to justify. But everything else in the SR+ has no value to me except the extra Range.
That table on the previous page confirms that LED Foglights are the only physical difference (which the video I posted has disproved - the SR does have working Foglights). The lack of immersive Sound was also disproven. Both the physical speakers and menu options were there, unless a future software update removes the option.

I have no Streaming Audio Subscription, and couldn't care less about Heated Seats.

I definitely care about Navigation with Traffic, but that's been confirmed to only be a 'visual' difference. Even the SR takes traffic routing into account. The streets around you just aren't shown in green & red etc. But I never have that enabled in Google Maps anyway - it's annoying, and I don't care what the traffic is on the streets I'm not on.

Last edited:
The lack of immersive Sound was also disproven. Both the physical speakers and menu options were there, unless a future software update removes the option.
I have seen a few videos on the immersive Sound and tests and so far most of them say the speakers are there and the cabling is there and the software shows the options same as SR+, however there is no sound coming out of them on SR, so they might still be software locked to not work even though they show up in the software menu.

I doubt they will have a demo version of SR in any stores in AU for anyone to see so unless someone orders one and is happy to show it around, we cannot verify what the limitations are. Also they may have not limited all initially and choose to limit it a few months down the line stating that you had 60 day trial on the SR+ features and now they have limited it to SR and if you want to unlock the SR+ features, you can do so by purchasing the upgrade. They have already announced that SR will be unlockable to SR+ for a fee, though I have not seen the price for unlocking it yet anywhere.

According to Tesla:
Its range will be limited by 10%, and several features will be disabled via software (including our onboard music streaming service, navigation with live traffic visualization, and heated seats). Similar to other software-limited vehicles produced in the past, Standard customers will have the option to upgrade to a Standard Plus at any time. Similarly, anyone who has already bought Standard Plus and wants to convert to Standard is welcome to do so, and we will provide a refund for the difference in cost.
An Update to Our Vehicle Lineup

Last edited:
I have seen a few videos on the immersive Sound and tests and so far most of them say the speakers are there and the cabling is there and the software shows the options same as SR+, however there is no sound coming out of them on SR, so they might still be software locked to not work even though they show up in the software menu.
That's true, a different video I saw also mentioned no sound coming out of the Pillar speakers. But one I saw, mentioned that the Immersive menu option disappeared after a short time. So that might've been what you mentioned, SR+ features for a limited time (although I don't think he had it for 60 days already...).

And yeah, I don't expect any M3s to be in showrooms until they have RHD inventory stock. And they won't be SRs - demo models are often higher trim. We'll just wait and see what other Aus owners report.

I don't mind not having immersive sound. The premium sound system would've been nice because of the Subwoofer (I'm spoilt atm with a Subaru 14 speaker system with the factory sub upgraded to a 700W RMS one).
But for those people that value the pillar speakers, streaming audio etc and a little bit of extra Range, the SR+ may be worth it.