Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is anyone else concerned about the heat and and UV coming though the glass roof?
I showed my wife some of the youtube videos on the model 3. She said she is not driving one unless the glass roof is made opaque:(:(. I told her a heavy tint will block out 99% of the UV, and there will be more UV coming through the front windshield than the glass roof. Apparently that is not good enough. I also don't think the flimsy and ugly sun shades from Telsa do very much. I am in Brisbane, my Audi's sunroof with a mesh sunshade is still letting in plenty of heat, so I can only imaging the model 3's full glass roof is going to be worse.
I wish there is a metal roof option.

Most of the heat inside the car comes from convection. The glass roof is therefore fairly irrelevant.

I thought that when I bought my S, but I have never felt hot or seen glare through the glass roof. I've done quite a few road trips with 4 people in the car and no one has ever complained about the glass roof. In fact most people don't notice it until they look up. It actually works really well. Go and test drive a model S (or find someone locally who has one) and take your wife in it on a sunny day. She will be very surprised.

...but we may be able to jump the queue by skipping the personal briefing. I for one have watched so many hundreds of hours of model 3 videos...
The Model 3 (and Teslas generally) are about as simple as it gets to start moving, the sequence is:
seatbelt, foot-on-brake, flick down for drive, throttle and gone, in one smooth motion. There is none of the ICE car: listen to the engine rumble into life, watch the instrument cluster needles swing around into readiness, check all the tell-tales switch-off, all of which adds a definite pause to proceedings.

Standing at a mall supercharger waiting for my family to finish shopping, what caught me by surprise is becoming aware of Tesla owners returning to their cars and peeling off from the supercharger bays like a flock of birds: drivers unhook, jump into their seat and they're gone; maybe it is a thing with Tesla early adopters but their cockpit-check-time is arrestingly short (compared with watching people exit petrol/gas stations after filling-up).

Is anyone else concerned about the heat and and UV coming though the glass roof?
I showed my wife some of the youtube videos on the model 3. She said she is not driving one unless the glass roof is made opaque:(:(. I told her a heavy tint will block out 99% of the UV, and there will be more UV coming through the front windshield than the glass roof. Apparently that is not good enough. I also don't think the flimsy and ugly sun shades from Telsa do very much. I am in Brisbane, my Audi's sunroof with a mesh sunshade is still letting in plenty of heat, so I can only imaging the model 3's full glass roof is going to be worse.
I wish my wife said the same. I would use the money to upgrade my MS to a P100DL:)

anyone know how you can salary package a Model 3? Novated leases are tricky as they wont be able to buy the model 3 for quite a while.

I'm not aware of any changes as @ShockOnT mentions, but I have been looking at the CustomFleet estimator.

It only lets you select vehicle prices in multiples of $10k and annual kms starting from 15000, in multiples of 1000.

A $60k vehicle with 15k km a year for 5 years is $635/fortnight. Now don't forget that would include 5 years of petrol, which of course wouldn't be included. (Note: I lease my current vehicle (Leaf) and just elected to not have a fuel budget, rather than anything complicated like metering my EVSE at home etc.)

I checked the 20k km cost and then used the difference to extrapolate a $60k vehicle with 0 km, and it gave me $524/fortnight. In reality it would be a bit higher than this, since you'd still need allowances for servicing and tyres etc, but not that much.

This is based on a bare-bones SR; which would be about $62k. Remember, without GST it's closer to $57k. I don't know if the estimator expects you to enter the standard retail, or the non-GST price.

Obviously this depends on your income as well. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that my income is on the lower range of the members of this forum, given that I'm looking at the bare bones M3 SR and most of you already own S/Xs!

Aside from cost - does anyone know how the logistics work regarding a leasing company purchasing from Tesla? I know they claim to "get the best deal using their buying power" but Tesla doesn't do discounts. Also, I already effectively have $1500 credit due to my reservation, but I'm not sure how this would be applied to a purchase via a third party.

I had the same concern when buying the model s. Tesla assured me it would be no problem. I purchased the ceiling shade as I wasnt convinced. Unfortunately I wasted my money on the ceiling shade, have been through a hot adelaide summer now including a nice 46 degree day, and it is absolutely no issue. There is no glare problem, and the heat comes in from the side windows, which are much better once tinted. I’d be removing the concern from your list.

I might have to do that, but I think she just doesn’t want any sun light on her at all when she is driving. I guess I could vinyl wrap the roof.
Tesla sell an inside ceiling shade that folds out. Very easy to do and its not expensive. I assume they will do one for the 3, otherwise yes put some film on it.
I’m not convinced a whole lot of light comes through. Its extremely dark.

Yes of course they do but it’s more the delivery aspect someone above pointed out. Each car will need to be “delivered” i.e. a customer turns up, cuts the ribbon and gets a tour of the cars features. Tesla Oz have never had to deliver so many cars before at the one time.
When I got my first model s, there was no delivery person in adelaide. My tesla guy sent me some video’s beforehand and recommended I watch them for the basics on pickup. I was instructed to go to a transport yard, and to call my delivery guy when I got home with any questions. So I showed up at the yard. The guy there asked me to sign a form saying I’d taken the car. He showed me how to make it move, and off I went. I got home and had a lot of fun for a couple of hours setting everything up, then rang the tesla guy with just one question - how to connect wifi. He helped with that and all done.
When I replaced the model s with another late last year, same thing again, only this time the tesla guy flew in fornthe day as he had 10 to handover. I signed the form, identified some superficial damage (actually he declared the scuffed wheel) and departed with two new model s and 15 minutes of time.
The manual is your best friend, as is help on this forum, and online video’s......and its always changing

• Informative
Reactions: baillies and Chuq
The Tesla 'glass' roof is opaque to UV and blocks 99% of IR.

There is no comparison between an Audi and a Tesla.

I might have to do that, but I think she just doesn’t want any sun light on her at all when she is driving. I guess I could vinyl wrap the roof.
Just for context, I was driving North yesterday and looked up through the roof of my Model S.
I saw the moon between two clouds, always nice to see the moon during the day. Then as the clouds parted I realised I was looking at the sun. I was almost able to keep looking at it.
In summary, the tint on the roof is pretty darn good.
If your wife is worried about UV I'm pretty sure it's opaque to UV.

Reactions: tom_kauf
OK, to fill the week or two until our orders open and we get access to the configurator who’s up for joining me in speculating about what we need to order to get to the front of the line? :)

I’ll go first (budget permitting):

Long range or at worst SR+
Blue
AWD
Autopilot
19" STILETTO Wheels

Reckon that will be enough?

Sweet spot for config would be in my opinion -

LR
Blue
AWD. (RWD is better for us if available off menu and priced ok to keep to $75k)
18” Aero (with aeros coming off in the first hour)
Black interior
autopilot

$78k all up. $75k is the sweet spot for us if RWD available. Take my money.

FSD takes it a bit high for the sweet spot.

6E5B63F3-DF5C-4004-89E2-47D00D1BB91E.png
This was on the model 3 part of the forum and i thought it was super helpful.: