Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So now I need to add interstate flights and accommodation to the "cost" of an SR :-/

I'm happy to fly interstate to pick it up (check it at the delivery centre before signing for it in case of issues, give it a bit of a test run, try out superchargers, before driving home via the ferry) but to do it twice just to buy what is supposed to be a mass market car is a bit extreme.

I can always drive down there and deliver yours to you :) I’ll baby it down to you of course haha

• Funny
Reactions: Chuq
Does the SR+ have a crap onboard charger? Seems only the LR gets a 48A capable (3-phase x 16A 11.5kW) charger. Maybe it's just in USA where SR+ is limited to 32A & all European deliveries get a 11kW charger

Last edited:
So now I need to add interstate flights and accommodation to the "cost" of an SR :-/

I'm happy to fly interstate to pick it up (check it at the delivery centre before signing for it in case of issues, give it a bit of a test run, try out superchargers, before driving home via the ferry) but to do it twice just to buy what is supposed to be a mass market car is a bit extreme.
Musk has stated that all major cities will have a SC at launch....although he may think tassie is a different country

I was looking at the car specs and am a little confused.
Design Your Model 3 | Tesla
and Design Your Model 3 | Tesla
SR+ range shows 240mi (386km)
LR AWD range 310mi (499km)
P AWD range 310mi (499km)
however: Design Your Model 3 | Tesla
SR+ range is 258mi (415km)
LR AWD range 348mi (560km)
P AWD range 329mi (529km)

How is the LR AWD and P AWD in US and Canada same range and in UK they have different range, and how are all the ranges in UK longer than in US and Canada? Do they have different ways of determining range in UK and what would they show for us in Australia?

How is the LR AWD and P AWD in US and Canada same range and in UK they have different range, and how are all the ranges in UK longer than in US and Canada? Do they have different ways of determining range in UK and what would they show for us in Australia?

yes, europe does not use EPA. they use a different cycle which rewards city driving and braking more heavily. EVs benefit heavily from that hence the high range.

EPA vs. WLTP rating.

I can see you are keen....but you will need to wait to see which versions australia gets. No-one knows yet. Only opinion is available.
Every country has its mandated method of reporting range / efficiency

Makes sense, so us here in Australia are stuck with longer distances over city driving, so we go under EPA?

Eh, no the distance you can drive does not change. It is just the test cycle which changes. Most people do not use Teslas "ideal" range anyway (you can set that in the options) which for USA is EPA and for EU WLTP. They use Teslas own "typical" which is more pessimistic for highway driving but gives you a good range estimate if you hold a speed of i think 85kmh. At the end of the day it just changes the way the car displays the range.

• Cash Price£38,900
  • Includes VAT of approx. £6,483
  • Includes destination and documentation fee of £850
  • Includes £3,500 UK Plug-In Car Grant
Not sure if these prices can be used directly. But that means £35,918 without their Tax or Grant, but including the Destination Fees (which might be about the same for us - about Au$1500).

So that's Au$66,641 before any of our Taxes, and Au$74,771 after GST and 2% QLD Stamp Duty for a SR+ without options :confused:.

That can't be right. Hopefully it's just late and my maths is wrong, or cars are more expensive in the UK (which I often thought was the case with ICE cars, when doing a direct conversion from UK prices quoted on eg. Top Gear or Fifth Gear).

Last edited: