Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry @1st in Line but the longest wait for a Tesla was a Melbourne Model S owner who order the car the first day Model S was announced in 2010 and even waited for a Dual Motor that we’re not available until mid 2015 in Australia. So close to 5 years.

.... which is why I explicitly stated ".... Longest wait for Model 3 delivery" in my post.

Happy to leave the Model S bragging rights to Model S drivers and Model X bragging rights to Model X drivers.

• Love
Reactions: Vostok
KSA attacks and all. Good to know we will have an alternative!

I keep thinking that the general public massively massively underestimates the positive implication of a switch to EVs in terms of energy security and improved balance of trade.

I believe just today I read an article somewhere how a switch to renewable energy and EVs will result in less money flowing out of the country to far away oil corporations and military dictatorships and instead generate local jobs in renewable energy installations and hopefully one day renewable energy export revenue.

That is why I am so excited about my Model 3!

No reserve, ordered white SR+ with FSD 12-08-19. No call, no hidden VIN etc.

Would it be considered unusual for myself to not have a hidden VIN at this stage? The website says that combo is available for delivery in October in the same configuration? Assuming one would get a call 3 weeks prior to the actual delivery, this means I should be getting a call any moment now? I would imagine the hidden VIN would be the first step in all this though?

Just trying to recalibrate my expectations/curb my frustration.

Would it be considered unusual for myself to not have a hidden VIN at this stage? The website says that combo is available for delivery in October in the same configuration? Assuming one would get a call 3 weeks prior to the actual delivery, this means I should be getting a call any moment now? I would imagine the hidden VIN would be the first step in all this though?

I have SR+ white (no FSD) on order too and I'm two weeks behind you.
#VINless, and not complaining, all the reservers deserve delivery before me, but I'm in the queue, 35th of 36 according to the VIN tracker database! :)

Keep those updates flowing to the spreadsheet.... especially white SR+'s.

I have SR+ white (no FSD) on order too and I'm two weeks behind you.
#VINless, and not complaining, all the reservers deserve delivery before me, but I'm in the queue, 35th of 36 according to the VIN tracker database! :)

Keep those updates flowing to the spreadsheet.... especially white SR+'s.

Thanks for the feedback. Do you have a link for the spreadsheet mentioned above?

My order was around the same time as yours. I had a late reservation (April 2019). My VIN appeared 2 weeks ago in the source code (initially on the -finalize page and then on the standard page as well). I have had no calls or other communication. I know from here that others have had calls today for delivery in the next two weeks with same spec as mine (but earlier reservations).

It's not as simple as a strict order. It's also got to do with what state you're in and what allocation of cars has been done to that state before they go through the list. If there's a car that matches your spec left over you might get lucky and have the car earlier.

I'm aware that we don't have all the info and that here and on Facebook we are probably a very small subset of Model 3 orders but if you consider that they've probably had about 3000 orders before the end of August and that they didn't start delivering cars until September then maths tells us that they would need to be delivering 1333 cars per week to catch up by the end of September. Even if they were working 7 days a week that would still mean 190 cars per day for the whole of Australia. So I think you can see that there's very slim chances of October delivery if one orders now.

but I'm in the queue, 35th of 36 according to the VIN tracker database! :)

Nope, not really. It's like you're in line a Disneyland waiting to get on space mountain, the fast pass holders (reservation holders) can just leap frog you and jump to the head of the queue at any stage, however unlike Disney, Tesla have no limit to how many can jump the queue per hour.

It's all a bit discouraging.

Last edited:
Reactions: jontyh
Actually the wait will still matter, because when someone asks about the customer service I've received obviously I'm not going to be raving about it. I do feel for the customer service people, but at the same token I have no sympathy for Tesla and their obvious failure to plan for this.

I couldn’t agree more. What is absolutely certain is that I will never again put an early reservation on a Tesla vehicle. There is absolutely no point. I wouldn’t even place an order until after the initial flow through of a new model. I wanted to support the conversion to electric but have been left with a bad taste. I will still buy electric in future and quite possibly Tesla if they are the best vehicle on the market for the money, I just won’t put my money and expectations on the line so early in the process. Certainly my brand loyalty has taken a hit.

I couldn’t agree more. What is absolutely certain is that I will never again put an early reservation on a Tesla vehicle. There is absolutely no point. I wouldn’t even place an order until after the initial flow through of a new model. I wanted to support the conversion to electric but have been left with a bad taste. I will still buy electric in future and quite possibly Tesla if they are the best vehicle on the market for the money, I just won’t put my money and expectations on the line so early in the process. Certainly my brand loyalty has taken a hit.

+1

It's also left a sour taste in my mouth, lets start with the email they sent in April 2016 - "Those who own Model S or Model X cars will be offered priority production slots as a special thanks for supporting the Tesla mission.". The next lie was in the Model 3 faq - "First deliveries are scheduled to begin in August 2019 and will be prioritized based on reservation date, delivery location and configuration options."

At least I have a date now, but the complete lack of communication still grates.

Actually the wait will still matter, because when someone asks about the customer service I've received obviously I'm not going to be raving about it.

On one hand, yes, that's a valid point. On the other I'm not sure how many people rank customer service highly on their list of things to consider when buying a new car.

I tend to expect that the purchase will be a bit of a nightmare (if it's not Tesla taking forever to deliver, then it's some salesperson for some other brand trying to wring you for every cent you're worth), but then it's fine because it's 5-10 years before you have to deal with any of them again.

"First deliveries are scheduled to begin in August 2019 and will be prioritized based on reservation date, delivery location and configuration options."
Not necessarily a lie but deliberately vague. Also verbally told Performance would be given priority because Tesla wanted them on the road but because of the price and limited number of configuration options SR+ seems to be the configuration most likely to get delivered earliest regardless of reservation date, delivery location definitely [good luck WA]

Reactions: Techno-phile