Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla figured the way to increase the numbers for the quarter was to produce shiploads of RHD vehicles then shovel them out the door to reach the RHD markets like Oz in time for the quarters end. Then concentrate production on LHD vehicles for the local market and offer bigger carrots fwith those vehicles to be sold for less/bigger discounts as inventory. Meanwhile any latecomers in Oz that wanted a car that was on the boats and not allocated, could get it/got it before those in line if it was convenient and made it before EOQ.
The end justifies the means! If they need to do it again, they will until quarterly figures become less important.
Not new; the first load of Model S was delivered on 9 December.

Reactions: Hagrid
A few minor defects like a dent in the rear, a paint chip and one paint defect, driver side door panels not matching and what looks like sound proofing hanging out the bottom on both sides...but nothing major and nothing that can't be fixed easily.

Doesn't sound good for a new car - how big is the dent? how are the doors mismatched - colour, alignment? Pictures?

Tesla figured the way to increase the numbers for the quarter was to produce shiploads of RHD vehicles then shovel them out the door to reach the RHD markets like Oz in time for the quarters end. Then concentrate production on LHD vehicles for the local market and offer bigger carrots fwith those vehicles to be sold for less/bigger discounts as inventory. Meanwhile any latecomers in Oz that wanted a car that was on the boats and not allocated, could get it/got it before those in line if it was convenient and made it before EOQ.
The end justifies the means! If they need to do it again, they will until quarterly figures become less important.

Yet there are many of us with day 1 reservations, day 1 orders, cars confirmed on the first boat, and license papers complete yet delivery still shifted out to October! Australian delivery logistics issues with no explanation to the customers. Doesn’t really fit with any planned EOQ drive. More like ‘oh c##p, just deliver whatever is easy!’.

I got the call yesterday for a delivery on 27th, then a text today confirming a tentative appointment for 28th, and asking me to "please complete the delivery profile in your account ASAP".

I have no actions pending in my account, hoping it's a generic text covering the steps I've already done. Anyone else?

Doesn't sound good for a new car - how big is the dent? how are the doors mismatched - colour, alignment? Pictures?

Yeah nothing that can’t be fixed easily. That’s assuming you can get someone to actually deal with you post-sale. Or if you have to hunt down someone from Tesla service to actually focus on something that should have been dealt with ahead of time.

Ok, so what’s the deal on Private Plates and getting them to the delivery team.
Interested of experiences from people who have Got to this stage or further.

I was told by Tesla this depends on your state. In NSW the process is too laborious so they dont bother. If you want your custom plates put on the M3 in NSW then you need to do this yourself after you bought the car with random plates on it. Make sure you ask them for the yellow/black plates though because they are $47 compared to $110 for the premium (black/white) random plates.

I got the call yesterday for a delivery on 27th, then a text today confirming a tentative appointment for 28th, and asking me to "please complete the delivery profile in your account ASAP".

I have no actions pending in my account, hoping it's a generic text covering the steps I've already done. Anyone else?

My text also asked me to do that, and I also have no actions pending.

Reactions: AussiePete
All the traditional car makers need to lock in contracts for battery supply.
I’ve read VW has done this but many other car manufacturers left twiddling their thumbs.
Personally I think the winners are going to be the car companies that have move on batteries now.
Tesla saw this issue years ago and started building Giga Factories.
This is a major factor that shorts struggle or are unwilling to see
Look at Hyundai’s Kona production constraint

Reactions: jaykaye
I understand that there are number being delivered in Perth Thursday and Friday, mine included (provided the leasing company makes payment tomorrow)

Let us know how you go. My delivery was scheduled for this Thursday, my car was on cap Capricorn, my payment was made last week, all paperwork completed yet they still moved my delivery to 4th October with no explanation.

Reactions: kieranu
Ok, so what’s the deal on Private Plates and getting them to the delivery team.
Interested of experiences from people who have Got to this stage or further.
For WA people personalised plates through TESLA is just not possible. The vehicle gets licensed in WA (and you pay a non refundable plate fee) and then you can swap your personalised plates at the licensing centre where they are held for the ones the car was registered with. Seems dumb but apparently no other way.

Reactions: kieranu
Let us know how you go. My delivery was scheduled for this Thursday, my car was on cap Capricorn, my payment was made last week, all paperwork completed yet they still moved my delivery to 4th October with no explanation.

I paid a couple of weeks ago but was given 4th October straight up. Pretty sure i was also cap capricorn as well. Freo delivery. sr+. time seems to be slowing down as it gets closer. Glad to hear the deliveries are starting to roll through.

Cheers

I did have a further email advising that the delivery time on the day may vary. (They must have me noted as a serial grumbler-lol. I have kept them and the leasing company under moderate pressure: mostly just copying each of them into the other's emails). I am an early reservation holder (although my leasing company faffed about with the order process for about a month after the Configurator opened as ordering Tesla's was supposedly a rare occurrence and who in their right mind would order an electric car from a non dealership anyway?). TESLA do seem to have tried to recognise my early reservation, but I also think they may have given preferential treatment to novated leasing companies (return business, turnover, etc).