Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apparently Sentry draws between 100-200W, so it should only eat up maybe 10% on a SR+. I tend to turn it on remotely at certain times and I notice a 1% drop only after a few hours.
WTF?? It should not take 100-200W to run a bunch of CCD cameras and record the video to a USB drive. Something like that should use no more than a few watts! My entire house in “standby” mode uses about 100W.

If Model 3 is drawing 100-200W just sitting still a lot more stuff must be running apart from Sentry - not just the CPU that runs the entire car, but fans, battery cooling systems, who knows what else. Even then, that seems like a ridiculous amount of power for car that is otherwise idle and if that’s the case, Tesla seriously need to lift their game on idle power management.

Ha ha mate consider it a warning of what's to come! :) If you think that's bad wait until you see what happens after you place your order!...no calls or emails will ever get answered, you will have no idea when the car will ever arrive and when it does arrive, it will be like those stone washed Jeans where you pay more for extra signs of wear and tear on the body panels...But rest assured the Panel beaters that they ask you to contact actually do answer the phone and seem to be far more professionallly run than Tesla...

Enjoy the ride!!
This nothing new as every Tesla owner has had the same AUSTRALIAN bad service including NZ Tesla owners.

WTF?? It should not take 100-200W to run a bunch of CCD cameras and record the video to a USB drive. Something like that should use no more than a few watts! My entire house in “standby” mode uses about 100W.

If Model 3 is drawing 100-200W just sitting still a lot more stuff must be running apart from Sentry - not just the CPU that runs the entire car, but fans, battery cooling systems, who knows what else. Even then, that seems like a ridiculous amount of power for car that is otherwise idle and if that’s the case, Tesla seriously need to lift their game on idle power management.

I suspect they would be running AI as well to work out good guys vs bad guys, reasonable or suspicious goings on and so on.

For that you need to run gpu cores - lots of them - and this could easily use 100 - 200 watts of power.

With Model S you can specify where not to activate Sentry mode ( e.g. at home in garage).

Same for the 3. You can set it to auto-disable for "Home" and "Work". For locations outside of those two places you can toggle it on an ad-hoc basis via the app (as in "manually disable sentry mode", not "manually create a rule to automatically disable sentry mode at this spot").

I assume the drain is due to needing to have the CPU constantly scanning each video stream to determine if anything suspicious is happening or not?

But yes, does seem a fair bit higher than it needs to be.

Hi All,

Longtime lurker, first time commenting.

Anyone taking TM3 deliveries in person over the past 2~ days able to comment on the delivery rates at the Bris/Syd/Mel stores...? Still seem to be flowing out at a high rate/day as they were through late September?

Waiting on a new VIN assignment here for our SR+, finance took 2 days too long to approve and my first VIN for a 24th Sep delivery was reassigned :(

Thanks.

Hi All,

Anyone taking TM3 deliveries in person over the past 2~ days able to comment on the delivery rates at the Bris/Syd/Mel stores...? Still seem to be flowing out at a high rate/day as they were through late September?

Waiting on a new VIN assignment here for our SR+, finance took 2 days too long to approve and my first VIN for a 24th Sep delivery was reassigned :(

Thanks.

Welcome!
We haven't heard too much in the last couple of days.
Like somebody else suggested, with the EoQ rush out of the way, hopefully they are taking the time now to do the proper detailing and fixing the issues that a car north of $70K deserves.
At least that is what I hoping, so I'm not going to hassle them any. (But then I have a hidden VIN)

btw, what colour SR+ are you getting? I have white on order.

Hi All,

Thanks.
Brisbane only had a few cars waiting for pickup, with last month's big push being over for now.

Should it show the NEDC rating or an actual useful number?

500 is a realistic range, 560 isnt unless you are doing slow city milage.

it should show NEDEC rating technically but typical is more realistic and can be used for emergency cruising. (typical is afaik a Tesla being driven at 90kmh without wind or elevation).

I think in America you could chose for a while between Rated (WLTP) and Typical (Tesla) and in europe between Rated (NEDEC) and Typical (Tesla) but they have since abandoned that concept as Rated is quite frankly useless and confusing.

Probably an excuse / justification from Tesla, doubt it ever left Sydney

Nah one of Tesla's recommended lenders (I won't mention which, not appropriate) were taking their sweet time to finally tell me they didn't like some of our documentation (not PAYG, so it was slightly more complexed). Went to another lender and had an approval in 3-4 days. Unfortunately the finance was approved on the morning delivery was scheduled, and the VIN had been reassigned 2 days prior after discussions with Tesla reps that our chances of having everything in order were slim (cleared funds etc).

Sucks, I'll be happy as long as it doesn't take too much longer to get a new VIN assigned. I *wish* I screenshotted the VIN in hindsight, to see if it was registered since :)

Like somebody else suggested, with the EoQ rush out of the way, hopefully they are taking the time now to do the proper detailing and fixing the issues that a car north of $70K deserves.

Yea I was pretty sure the EoQ rush was contributing to the daily delivery rates, makes sense. And yea that's reasonable to expect they improve the delivery quality. Hoping they don't exhaust incoming stock of course :)

btw, what colour SR+ are you getting? I have white on order.

Midnight Silver SR+

Brisbane only had a few cars waiting for pickup, with last month's big push being over for now.

thx for the details! hopefully they are less busy now, I didn't want to hassle the staff when they were flat out trying to clear their delivery list.

it should show NEDEC rating technically but typical is more realistic and can be used for emergency cruising. (typical is afaik a Tesla being driven at 90kmh without wind or elevation).

I think in America you could chose for a while between Rated (WLTP) and Typical (Tesla) and in europe between Rated (NEDEC) and Typical (Tesla) but they have since abandoned that concept as Rated is quite frankly useless and confusing.

I’m relying on this range table and ABRP for trip planning. Big lump of real world data. The other systems are good for comparing one car and configuration with another, but just like ICE fuel consumption there are many other factors at play in practical use.

Tesla Range Table - Teslike.com

Reactions: kieranu
This nothing new as every Tesla owner has had the same AUSTRALIAN bad service including NZ Tesla owners.
Not entirely true. I had a very pleasant service experience with Tesla Brisbane. Got mine way sooner than expected and had no issues.
Midnight Silver SR+
Welcome. Another MSM SR+ on Gold Coast. I picked up mine last Friday also MSM SR+ :)