Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry, no. An early reservation does not protect you from price rises - at least not any more. The price is fixed only when you configure. So if there was a 6 month delay or 12 month delay between configuring and receiving your car, you are guaranteed to only pay the amount indicated when you configured. Australian pricing hasn't even been announced, hence there is no benchmark and nothing to guarantee against.

Australian reservationists are unlikely to be invited to configure before late 2018. That's when we'll know pricing.
Well it did in 2013, well before the Australian prices were announced or I could configure. I could see this happening again for those who reserved when the official base price was $US35k if the new base price is higher. They are not compelled to, but they did to recognise the goodwill.

https://www.tesla.com/en_AU/blog/2013-model-s-price-increase?redirect=no

Last edited:
IIRC the 'Early Adopter Discount' was a George Blankenship initiative, and he's not there anymore.
Still with anyone with a RHD delivery having to wait the additional 18 months or so a similar situation will arise and there will no doubt be similar pressure to do the same for Model 3 early adopters.
I'm still in love with my Model S and not a fan of the single central screen design, so despite lining up last March I may cancel my order or let a family member of friend use it.

IIRC the 'Early Adopter Discount' was a George Blankenship initiative, and he's not there anymore.
Still with anyone with a RHD delivery having to wait the additional 18 months or so a similar situation will arise and there will no doubt be similar pressure to do the same for Model 3 early adopters.
I'm still in love with my Model S and not a fan of the single central screen design, so despite lining up last March I may cancel my order or let a family member of friend use it.
Yeah, I'm on the fence too, but have a couple of reservations to keep options open.

I can vaguely recall that there will be something about the vehicle that no other reservists will get. Will soon find out after all the staff get their 3's and the people that queued in the States start getting theirs.

Well it did in 2013, well before the Australian prices were announced or I could configure. I could see this happening again for those who reserved when the official base price was $US35k if the new base price is higher. They are not compelled to, but they did to recognise the goodwill.
Well I can't see it happening again, because as I said what is the AUD price benchmark? There isn't one. If Tesla said late next year the Model 3 base model will cost $58,000 here, has there been a price rise or not?

I think it's best to not hope such a thing to happen again, because it will only lead to disappointment when it doesn't happen. Expect nothing, and then anything upside is a bonus.

There is still an unknown "gift" for those that stood in line on the first day.
We've already received the sketch. Expect nothing more, then you won't be disappointed.

At the end of the launch last week Elon Musk said Tesla really appreciated all those who stood in line to reserve on 31st March last year, and Tesla will do everything possible to get us our cars "as soon as possible" (which for RHD markets turns out to be "early 2019"). That is our "gift".

But for some reason, people don't want to leave it at that, despite it being the most recent comment on the matter straight from the CEO's mouth. It's End Of as far as I'm concerned.

Just an insight as to what the Model 3 is going to look like when it arrives in Australia

Attachments

• Tesla-Model-3-interior-RHD.jpg
    Tesla-Model-3-interior-RHD.jpg
    294.9 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Cheaper to drive a Camry :)
Buying a Tesla to save money is a long way off.
Even the 3 at probably $60,000 is a helluva lot more than a Golf.
I’d still rather have the 3, but it wouldn’t be to save money.
My idea of saving money on a Model 3
1. One of the safest car in the market (what price do you place on your safety).
2. The ability to drive a car with the performance of a V8 while at the same time the $$$$ fill up cost of electrons is similar to a 4 cylinder equivalent (calculate the cost comparison to refill a V8 ICE vehicle) and cheaper still if you have solar.
3. The overall "Fun" factor.
Yes, the initial cost of ownership of a Model 3 (or any other Tesla) is high but when you weigh down the costs above, you then close the margins considerably over the life of the car

2. The ability to drive a car with the performance of a V8 while at the same time the $$$$ fill up cost of electrons is similar to a 4 cylinder equivalent (calculate the cost comparison to refill a V8 ICE vehicle) and cheaper still if you have solar.

if you charge up off peak or use a $1 per day EV offer, then its way cheaper than driving a 4 cylinder.

1. One of the safest car in the market (what price do you place on your safety).
3. The overall "Fun" factor.
Yes, the initial cost of ownership of a Model 3 (or any other Tesla) is high but when you weigh down the costs above, you then close the margins considerably over the life of the car
I think we agree.
Basically it’s amazing value for money, if not the least money.
An equivalent price car would be an Audi A4. How utterly boring compared to an electric autopilot spaceship from the future!

Reactions: nigwil