Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Australia is “apparently” tipped to get RHD Model 3’s around October-December of this year according to a contact I have ;)

I’ll see how good this contact is in the coming months.....but surely if October-December RHD viewing car will mean that RHD production and Australian/NZ allocation couldn’t be another 12months after this date?!

Reactions: Blu Angel
More like $60k. Seriously considering giving up my reservation. 4 years is bonkers.
From what I can see, long range $61K+ kangaroo dollars, premium interior and autopilot (what US are shipping now M3LR), $80K+

I'm looking at a another Subaru instead, for less than a 1/3 of that with a better interior and much cheaper insurance. When I sell the new suby, that EVs should come down in price further. I would guess more feature will be standard later on, much like Model S early options.

i see it that way too. UK mid 2019 and australia early 2020 paying double the price for 2017 tech.
maybe more once Team idiot Trump tariffs set in. I was hoping for some form of EV tax incentive but our coal loving idiot government wont see that happen.

Australia is “apparently” tipped to get RHD Model 3’s around October-December of this year according to a contact I have ;)

I’ll see how good this contact is in the coming months.....but surely if October-December RHD viewing car will mean that RHD production and Australian/NZ allocation couldn’t be another 12months after this date?!
I highly doubt that, Elon as stated RHD producing this time next year. They still have a huge backlog of reservation holders to fill.

If the model 3 is coming in 2020 I hope the base model is with dual motor and upgraded at the base price(whatever that will be) just like the current mature Model S and X base models. There is no way they could flog the 3 off in 2020 at current base specifications and price especially with hot competition around the corner.

More like $60k. Seriously considering giving up my reservation. 4 years is bonkers.
I fully understand peoples' desire to receive their Model 3 like yesterday, but come on folks we need to be realistic. From Day 1 with 450,000+ reservations this was always going to be a long lead time item. They advanced the Model 3 timeframes by a year and they are now ramping up production nicely, but anyone who thought they were going to get one before 2019 was dreaming. And trust me - I too have dreamed of this!

As someone who gets impatient I went out and bought a Leaf. Great city car but probably no good for most Australians. I've driven the i3 and Ioniq a lot and I can assure you that if you compromise and either get an ICE or a Kona or something, you won't be truly happy inside. Yes the Kona etc are nice EVs but they sure as hell aren't a Tesla/ Model 3. If you truly want to make the move to electric and want to support Elon's mission then just wait.

I suspect Tesla will nail the first tranche of LR RHD production by mid 2019 so you've "only" got a 3 year wait since 2016 lol and it will still be a great car that is several years ahead of the competition. In the meantime it's tempting to look at I-Pace etc but they will be as rare as hen's teeth with ~20,000 per year and nowhere sensible to charge them.

And just to add - the hard part now is not that you don't have your Model 3, it is that others already do and you can torture yourself with it on YouTube...

Last edited:
Reactions: Blu Angel
At least when the Model 3 arrives here it should be a fully sorted car with all the inevitable design errors fixed (Tesla does tend to fix those rather than ignoring them).
Of course they might just pull a face-lift 6 months after you take delivery which is what happened with my 2015 Model S.

From what I can see, long range $61K+ kangaroo dollars, premium interior and autopilot (what US are shipping now M3LR), $80K+

I'm looking at a another Subaru instead, for less than a 1/3 of that with a better interior and much cheaper insurance. When I sell the new suby, that EVs should come down in price further. I would guess more feature will be standard later on, much like Model S early options.

maybe more once Team idiot Trump tariffs set in. I was hoping for some form of EV tax incentive but our coal loving idiot government wont see that happen.

I highly doubt that, Elon as stated RHD producing this time next year. They still have a huge backlog of reservation holders to fill.
Lol at Subarus having a better interior. Have you been in a Subaru?

No chance of it happening this year. Europe and China LHD is first.

Seriously considering giving up my reservation. 4 years is bonkers.

I'm not really sure why? Of course, if something comes out which suits you better in the meantime (Kona, etc) then get that, but if you're still waiting, it doesn't really hurt to hold on to the reservation does it? We've been getting the Zoe, Ioniq, Leaf etc. "soon" for a couple of years now. Really no guarantee they will get here before the Model 3.

Reactions: baillies
I'm not really sure why? Of course, if something comes out which suits you better in the meantime (Kona, etc) then get that, but if you're still waiting, it doesn't really hurt to hold on to the reservation does it? We've been getting the Zoe, Ioniq, Leaf etc. "soon" for a couple of years now. Really no guarantee they will get here before the Model 3.
Renault Zoe available now for circa $52000.

If the model 3 is coming in 2020 I hope the base model is with dual motor and upgraded at the base price(whatever that will be) just like the current mature Model S and X base models. There is no way they could flog the 3 off in 2020 at current base specifications and price especially with hot competition around the corner.
I doubt any free upgrades others than software at this stage. Maybe some improvements like a revised part design but the base I expect will be the same as a 17 spec.

the mining industry is big and established in australia. 100k+ taxpaying jobs depend on that industry.
Big downturn in that industry, rest is being heavily automated. Brown coal here main buyer is China which are going into renewable on a unprecedented scale. Next buyer is India, they are doing the same. Mining is taking the Australian property market down with it

Just back from Wanaka in the South Island of New Zealand, SHPG - Snow Farm is just up the road and I spotted four Tesla Model 3's testing, one in white, silver, black, blue. May have been more but they did not show on the day.
There were also EV's testing from China.
No badges so do not know what Model 3's they were.
2018 July 25 - 1.jpg
2018 July 25 - 3.jpg
2018 July 25 - 6.jpg
2018 July 25 - 2.jpg
2018 July 25 - 1.jpg
2018 July 25 - 2.jpg

Vist www.shpg.co.nz for more information.
Base Elevation: 1520m above sea level.

Last edited:
Seriously considering giving up my reservation. 4 years is bonkers.
It won’t take that long. 3.5 years. The first RHD Model 3s will arrive here between 1 July and 30 Sep 2019.

Equally predictions that they will arrive this year are “bonkers”. Tesla might ship some LHD Model 3s here later this year for demo purposes but nothing more.