Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
EDIT: @raynewman No, I can't see any reason for keeping an ICE either, and I'm often asked about that. I certainly won't be buying another one. Ever.[/QUOTE]

Towing the caravan around the land of Aus with an EV is simply not practical yet. Hopefully one day...

In relation to Model 3 payment.. How does Tesla require payment? ie is full payment required when you configure?

Reactions: nigwil
I can't wait to see so many M3's in Australia, it'll really awaken the Australian motoring public. Days like this at superchargers may be very rare in future - we established Tesla owners will reminisce about glory days. Screenshot_20190323-084808_Tesla.jpg

EDIT: @raynewman No, I can't see any reason for keeping an ICE either, and I'm often asked about that. I certainly won't be buying another one. Ever.

Towing the caravan around the land of Aus with an EV is simply not practical yet. Hopefully one day...

In relation to Model 3 payment.. How does Tesla require payment? ie is full payment required when you configure?[/QUOTE]
Generally a deposit on configure and balance before delivery.

No, I can't see any reason for keeping an ICE either, and I'm often asked about that. I certainly won't be buying another one. Ever.
The last time I acquired an ICE vehicle was 2004. I sold the last one in 2015. For my family's needs, I see absolutely no reason to ever acquire another ICE vehicle. Period. The only time I ever drive an ICE vehicle is when I fly somewhere and rent a car. Even then, I wish there were affordable and accessible EV rentals.

A heavy and silent EV is not that much fun to drive on a twisty bit of road. Ideally I would have an EV for the mundane daily commute, and a second ICE sports car for the odd spirited drives.
Not really. There’s a windy hill in a national park I go to to clear the cobwebs, and the Model S is brilliant. Cornering I’d fine, and the whip crack acceleration coming out of each corner is fantastic. The sound of the motors echoes through the valley, sounds great.

I have a funny feeling reservation for Aus will be for a few days before you can order without one. There's 20 million people here of which most are fond of their V8 Ute. I doubt there will be much interest here compared to let's say the UK. The other thing of course is that there no incentives in Australia outside of the ACT and QLD a bit which doesn't amount to much.

UK you get 10000 dollars discount, don't have to pay 2.50 AUD for petrol and charging stations everywhere. There's also some other advantages i.e. you can drive into london city.
There could be incentives if the Federal Government changes in May... ALP much more into renewables than LNP

There could be incentives if the Federal Government changes in May... ALP much more into renewables than LNP

Below is a policy from one of the minor parties, it's doubtful it will get used in anger but may stir up some interest from one of the majors.

The policy also advocates for vehicle emissions standards “that lead up to a complete ban on new internal combustion vehicles by 2030”, and a 17% tax on “luxury fossil fuel cars” to help cover the costs of scrapping registration fees, import tariffs, GST and stamp duty on electric vehicles, “reducing the cost of electric vehicles by around 20%”.