Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry but why would Tesla, who have offered zero information to anyone else who have asked, be specifically calling you to find out what you're ordering?

Model 3 Reservation holders getting calls TODAY - AEVA Forums

Aligns with this other post from today.

Must be getting close, I had a call from Tesla about my reservation, and asking what I was planning. He said orders opening very soon.

Curiously, I've never once had a phone call from Tesla about my day 1 model 3 reservation. Maybe that changes soon.

I was also a day 1 Model 3 reservation, and have had no contact prior. I am in SA so perhaps it was to see what sort of number they are going to transport from the eastern seaboard.
It may be random. I did not order on day 1. I put my order in almost a year later, but then after putting the order in I arranged for a test drive on Model S, then a week after test drive they called me up and discussed the test drive and if I was interested in ordering. I mentioned that I am waiting for Model 3 and they asked all about that and also what options and configuration I was looking for. They have not called lately, but since the test drive 15 months ago, they have contacted me twice to follow up and asking if I had any more questions.
I suspect the number of times they contact you depends on the specific person that is at the Tesla store that deals with you. They appear to be very nice at Brisbane.

Must be getting close, I had a call from Tesla about my reservation, and asking what I was planning. He said orders opening very soon.
Problem is, orders have been opening “soon” for the past 2 weeks :D

What we can say with confidence is that we are now one day closer to orders opening!

Don’t hold your breath though until we see a larger batch of RHD VINs registered.

Doesn’t feel likely that calls are happening. Existing Tesla owners can chime in. I fit the profile of getting an early call as I was almost front of the queue at Melbourne and reserved very early. I’ve also had lots of contact with Tesla staff having almost bought an s and even toyed with an x until I found it was out of budget. I’d get a call every so often about inventory cars. There was an existing owner a couple of spots behind me who queued most of the night. He should get an early call for sure right

@houdini agreed, I am a first day reservation holder (before seen) and I DO own a Model S and an X currently....I know how I’ll feel if others are getting calls that should be lower on the list then I...
Most of you have answered your own questions. People who have had contact with Tesla and Tesla they know are waiting to order would not be the focus of any call. I am a day 1 reservation with no recorded contact with Tesla. I am also half way across the country. They
couldnt tell me anything about dates or pricing. About the only thing I did get was to confirm the wall charger is included. And a vague answer on LR RWD which I took as a no. So if the aim was to determine for places that they have to truck cars a long distance and they are not sure how interested the person is then it make sense for the call.

Doesn’t feel likely that calls are happening. Existing Tesla owners can chime in. I fit the profile of getting an early call as I was almost front of the queue at Melbourne and reserved very early.
I was in the top 50 of the Sydney line. In the past 3 years, apart from general Tesla broadcast emails, I have received a few emails about Model S and X, two on Model 3 (an “update” on my reservation in Nov 2017, and an invitation to view the display Model 3s in Aug 2018) and one phone call in 2017 asking if I wanted to test drive a Model X after ticking the “test drive” box when I reserved my Model 3. I ended up not taking the test drive given the bond one has to deposit to do it.

I’m not expecting a phone call.

Puts the old rumours of ~8000 reservations in Australia in a different light. Were they talking about firm orders or reservations?

Not sure how to quote correctly but here was the original message. Unfortunately I don't have further details.

We know for a fact that around 4500 orders have been placed so far, possibly more. That is from a reliable Tesla source.

Puts the old rumours of ~8000 reservations in Australia in a different light. Were they talking about firm orders or reservations?
From what I understand UK now has orders and the reservations there are no longer relevant. in AUS here we still have reservations only as Orders are not available yet. The way the UK orders were brought up, it sounded like they had over 4000 orders that were either converted from reservations or placed as new orders.

In the UK you can order a model 3 now without being a reservation holder. I just confirmed it over a VPN. The estimated delivery is July for any of the configurations and the lowest price for SR RWD is 38,900 pounds (before savings). Some good news is they do have the tow hitch available.
So I would say it's reasonably clear that the 4000 orders were just that.

reservation (pay refundable deposit ~$1,000)

invited to order - do your configuration to create order (order deposit may be required) other restrictions apply such as possible changes when they are FREE or when you must pay - read carefully to fully understand OR ask Tesla rep.

VIN # gets assigned
and you wait for delivery or are told where to pick up or... (ask Tesla rep.)

[I'm just a list lurker, no connections nor insider information]

Good luck to those down under

When does the FX conversion rate apply? When you make the USD2500 order deposit or upon a subsequent payment in full?

Ordering a car next week and then paying for the bulk of it 3 months later could incur a massive cost differential for the buyer if the FX rate adversely shifts over that time.