Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been bombarding tesla with requests for more options but best i can get is place an order and hope new options will come that i can switch to.
They keep saying that, but I think that's just them wanting orders in the book. If people actually hold off and don't order till options are actually available, they'll have more pressure to offer them to get confirmed orders.

I'm not ordering until LR RWD/AWD and White is available, none of this... order then hope I can change before delivery crap!

Reactions: baillies
They keep saying that, but I think that's just them wanting orders in the book. If people actually hold off and don't order till options are actually available, they'll have more pressure to offer them to get confirmed orders.

I'm not ordering until LR RWD/AWD and White is available, none of this... order then hope I can change before delivery crap!

I'm with you Rohan, I'm not ordering unless it is for a LR RWD. Emailed Tesla tonight and will go to Martin Place on Saturday. Of any country on the planet Australia is the one that needs the LR RWD - the longest range Model 3 variant available. Australia would no doubt have the lowest ratio of superchargers per km2 of any country and Tesla knows that but like others have said, they're getting buyers to upgrade to something they don't want (Performance) because they're tired of waiting and need longer range than the SR+.

I thought twice about the SR+ but just recently took a Model X 75D to Kangaroo Island which has similar range as the SR+. Everything is fine going between superchargers (i.e. known ~200km routes) but headwinds, towing, cold weather and battery degradation means the SR+ isn't going to provide the 10+ years of carefree long distance driving that $70K should buy.

I'm with you Rohan, I'm not ordering unless it is for a LR RWD. Emailed Tesla tonight and will go to Martin Place on Saturday. Of any country on the planet Australia is the one that needs the LR RWD - the longest range Model 3 variant available. Australia would no doubt have the lowest ratio of superchargers per km2 of any country and Tesla knows that but like others have said, they're getting buyers to upgrade to something they don't want (Performance) because they're tired of waiting and need longer range than the SR+.

I thought twice about the SR+ but just recently took a Model X 75D to Kangaroo Island which has similar range as the SR+. Everything is fine going between superchargers (i.e. known ~200km routes) but headwinds, towing, cold weather and battery degradation means the SR+ isn't going to provide the 10+ years of carefree long distance driving that $70K should buy.

I am in the same boat. Long distance driving needs a lot more and longer charging stops. Using abeterrouteplanner, even with superchargers, getting from Gundagai to Wodonga into rain with a headwind is a bit of a risk with SR+ (I know this will be reduced by having NRMA charger in Holbrook but just one example). I don’t need AWD especially as I need a 7 seat Y which will probably only be available as AWD.

I think it's a transitory thing, upsell as many AWD as possible to LR RWD preferrers and release to hold-outs later. I had expected the play to exclude RWD at all for a few months. I guess the other part of the equation is for Tesla to try to put the large packs into high value sales to make the best of constrained battery supplies.
I've settled for the SR+ for the moment (3.4yrs is enough), fully expecting 600km will be low tier in a few years.

Same here. I'm resisting the urge

Has anyone looked into model 3 insurance yet. Might be a bit tricky at first with no cars on the road yet.
Insurance has been a concern for me. Im in SA and our RAA quotes over $2000 for an X or S (scary) my $50k VW is $600 through them ! Nothing yet for M3. I checked out few other comps the same. AAMI however has insurance for X S at $1000 ie a lot better. Still no M3 so tempted to go Aami when i purchase RWD. Also of interest i contacted my novational lease company to quote me on M3 leasing. They on sell an insurance policy ( dunno who) but the quote was $1600 for M3. Better than RAA and first quote I've had. NLC is my lease company btw.... hope this helps someone....

• Informative
Reactions: ICUDoc

I'll only purchase a LR RWD with white interior. It seems there are a few of us. Tesla might be more responsive if we order a basic SR+ with black interior now, then cancel at the last moment if our preference isn't made available. Could involve some discipline, which I like. According to their order agreements FAQs, an order can be cancelled at any time with full refund.

Fingers crossed the tow bar will be available just before orders are locked or available as a post-delivery accessory.
I'm not sure they will be, Australia has a pretty bad record with standards approval of car accessories like tow bars / bull bars. They will most likely need testing done here for our "special" regulations. Timing of such accessories quite often drag out for more than a year. It really depends on the manufacturer (Tesla in this case) on how keen they are to push for this, it would cost them quite a bit I'm sure. Mainstream brands like Toyota know this and prepare well ahead of a new vehicle launch so these essential items are available from day 1. The only hope we have, is if Haymen Reese (or a manufacturer like that) see a good business case for providing one, and invest in developing one. IMO..

This must be the cool table...... on Twitter

I don't know how to copy to pic. Right drive and white interior.
D8fBp-WVsAA3ITv.jpg