Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I recall correctly, there's a quoted 10% efficiency gain comparing the 18" with caps vs. sports rims.
The losses due to the wheel and tire package alone may indeed be 10% different and still be 3% different when comparing the total vehicle difference. You would have to study the total "friction budget" to know for sure. One thing is for sure, people throw out all kinds of figures without specifying exactly what they're talking about.

Anyone see the Reddit post where Tesla has recently allowed (then quickly removed) the performance with 18 inch wheels and someone bought one. It appears to be a standard LR AWD with the performance software.

What struck me as interesting was this owner has received track mode. I wonder if the Australian performance lites will be the same and have track mode even though on the configuration page it specifies they don't.

Link to post: This is what happens when you order the Performance Model 3 and request 18" wheels. (Is the $49,990 performance real? Well, sort of.) : teslamotors
This is what was available to us until the other week when they changed it to the LR AWD. If you ordered a Performance model without the upgrade before the changes, this is what you should be getting.

hm. yes it seems that maybe prime or conductor could possible make aug 31 deliveries, but otherwise will have to be containers (or september). 2+ weeks at sea SFO-AKL, plus AKL unloading, plus a few more days across the tasman, plus local import and delivery logistics. what, minimum 3.5 weeks from port 80 to delivery in Aus?

edit: I notice the container ships in your spreadsheet seem to be more like 3+ weeks SFO-AKL, in which case it's probably already too late for roro in Aus in Aug. At 16 kt, though, it should be more like 2 weeks, and that's what cosco tengfei is doing at the moment.
Alternatively a stack may already be halfway across in containers

I hope so! Probably a fairly small stack if so, though.
ANL Tongala is reaching Auckland today and Seoul Express left the USA a few days ago.

These are my best hopes for August deliveries if it happens as scheduled.

Kota Ekpres and Cap Capricorn are both docked in America. Cap Capricorn was anchored off Long Beach for quite some time so am less confident on this one. Kota would be right at the end of August at best.

Now we know vins are being assigned in country, NZ vin assignments might be our first indication of Australian deliveries are close.

ANL Tongala is reaching Auckland today and Seoul Express left the USA a few days ago.

These are my best hopes for August deliveries if it happens as scheduled.

Kota Ekpres and Cap Capricorn are both docked in America. Cap Capricorn was anchored off Long Beach for quite some time so am less confident on this one. Kota would be right at the end of August at best.

Now we know vins are being assigned in country, NZ vin assignments might be our first indication of Australian deliveries are close.

I'm definitely doing my part by checking obsessively for NZ vins! Don't have a super early reservation, though (mid 2017) so may not be in the first lot if it's containers.

• Love
Reactions: Vedaprime
First post!
I have a Model 3 on order and reserved mid last year in NZ. Currently hounding these forums and watching shipping to see how far away we are.
@khayyam is there somewhere to check the VINS or are you just referring to the email Tesla will send out?

Welcome aboard!

Once a VIN is assigned to your build it should be visible in your manage order page and Tesla should email you. You can always check up on this by going to your manage order page and right clicking on anywhere but a valid link (on a PC at least) and select 'View page source" .... then hit ctrl F (find) and type in either VIN or 5y. Either of these will search your whole page for a vin as they always start with a 5y. In my case if I search VIN it still shows as "input class="VinName" type="hidden" name="common_vin_name" value="" />" .. no value yet.

Reserved 5-Apr-2016. Ordered 2-Jun-2019. If I'm lucky I'll be in one of the early batches except I only ordered an SR+ (Midnight Silver).

When you placed your order did you select the financing option or did you choose the other, cash or whatever? Curious if they are emailing everyone or just the early place holders or people who ticked financing. Guess we need a bigger sample size to work it out.

When you placed your order did you select the financing option or did you choose the other, cash or whatever? Curious if they are emailing everyone or just the early place holders or people who ticked financing. Guess we need a bigger sample size to work it out.

I got that text July 8 and had not indicated I wanted finance. A few others got the text back then too - in this topic back around that date.

I just received a text from Tesla asking if I will be financing through them. It included a link to fill out my contact details so Telsa's financing company could be in touch.

I'm not using this service but it is great to hear that things are moving within Tesla.

I got the same too. I think others here have already been contacted previously. When I spoke to Tesla about why I hadn’t been contacted a week or so ago, they said that the Finance companies are working through the list of orders and would have been contacting those with Performance model orders first, then SR+. I have ordered SR+ so this sounds like it has some truth in it.

439C4F41-A6EE-42F3-8755-9B8A35279D9E.jpeg 3 Model 3s have been spotted in NZ

Twitter

Great job @excowboy

Looks like all performance.

Is that a white seat I see?

Last edited:
The losses due to the wheel and tire package alone may indeed be 10% different and still be 3% different when comparing the total vehicle difference. You would have to study the total "friction budget" to know for sure. One thing is for sure, people throw out all kinds of figures without specifying exactly what they're talking about.

from what I’ve seen in posts from owners, the aero’s efficiency is negligible eg around 3% or less. Prefer the look of the rims underneath.

Also have qizzed Tesla Au about accessories including car mats for RHD (havent seen any on internet) and also if 19" sport wheels are available as accessory as I'm not a fan of the aeros. No response from tesla.... might end up importing some wheels from tssportline