Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No Soup for me.......or DA info
I did end up talking to a nice lady in the USA
Who couldn't really help

Au seemed well catered for if you dive deeper in the IVR
no Bueno for NZ. I hope we are not relegated to having to call during
Au hours to actually talk to someone who can help with NZ issues :(

I emailed Tesla NZ regarding some questions and all responses have come back to me with the name of the Tesla rep and the following in their email signature: Level 2, 33 Herbert Street | St. Leonards, NSW 2065 | Australia. So looks like all our communication is with Tesla Australia...

Apologies for stating the obvious and causing disappointment, however if no-one in nz or aus has recieved a call to arrange delivery then there are no model 3 on the Seol Express. Indeed the Cap Capricorn must also be getting borderline if no NZ deliveries have been arranged.
As for spotting a car being unloaded, there will be several hundred containers on the ship. Thats all you will see. I happened to fly over the port (mine was cap capricorn) for my first tesla. It was an exciting co-incidence. From the plane window all I could see was loads of tightly packed containers on the boat and on the wharf. Wasn’t so exciting afterall.

• Disagree
Reactions: Zfactor
Potential reason why Tesla cannot issue a contract until the cars are in NZ territory.

As per the NZ CUSTOMS fact sheet for motor vehicles:

Certification requires the identification of the vehicle and the sighting of documentation to prove its original compliance with approved standard

https://www.customs.govt.nz/globala...9-advice-on-private-motor-vehicle-imports.pdf

These are for private importers. Tesla merely has to certify compliance with AUS/NZ standards and they don't need to sight documents etc. It's a very streamlined process for them.

F2D6D72B-A80E-4DA4-A51A-E5B46B29FE43.png
Apologies for stating the obvious and causing disappointment, however if no-one in nz or aus has recieved a call to arrange delivery then there are no model 3 on the Seol Express. Indeed the Cap Capricorn must also be getting borderline if no NZ deliveries have been arranged.

Here’s a pic of the Kota Ekspres..
Looks as though we’ll easily get past 200 pages before the 3’s arrive..

Reactions: Vedaprime
If you watch the ship being unloaded how do you know if there are Model 3’s in the containers?

If you stand in a queue to register for the purchase of a car that does not even exist, how do you know if that car is ever going to be built or if you are ever going to drive the car?

Mate, as Dennis Denuto so famously concluded, this is not about knowing or seeing, it is about the "vibe" you get, knowing that it could be your Model 3 in one of those containers coming off the ship. Just in case you have forgotten:

Or as once stated in a graffiti sprayed somewhere on a wall:

"I believe in the reality of my dreams!"

Yet another way to think of the Model 3 and the ship containers is to think of them as Schrödinger's Model 3s (only by opening the containers do we force one or the other reality with respect to our Model 3s to manifest itself). Given his thoughts about cats, I wonder if Erwin Schrödinger would go to Botany Bay to watch the containers being unloaded from the ships?

The final possibility is that years of waiting and endless sleepless nights of thinking about the Model 3 as well as reading gazillions of articles on Tesla and the Model 3 - not to mention hundreds of posts on all kinds of Tesla/Model 3 internet forums - has finally taken its toll on my sanity and watching inanimate objects being unloaded from a container ship seems a perfectly logical thing to do.

Did you hear about the guy who walked into a bar with a M3 steering wheel in his hand.
When asked what happened he said: I was waiting over 3 years for my car, it finally arrived. I couldn't contain my excitement any longer. I got in, moved it out of P - P for placid, into D - D for drag, then when everyone else was in my rear vision, I shifted it into R - R for race! And here I am

Yep its not impossible but I thought they had a longer lead time than that given I expect VIN numbers to be sourced before the start of that particular cars production

5-6 days to actually make the car, few days to transport it etc.

I've checked UK vins. It was 6 days for Triumph Ace for UK vin reg to ship load so seems completely possible. These cars are moving fast from production to the ports. NZ have disappearing source vins at the moment, so it could all change.

@Vedaprime - Do you think it may be possible that people are getting vins and then having them disappear because others are ordering configurations via their reservations that are ahead of the person who originally was assigned that vin and therefore bumping them down the list? I mean it would be A LOT of movement of people ordering, but still possible right?

While the registrations are showing that the vins are outside the windows, the vehicles could have been manufactured before the date, and shipped and then registered after the ship has left, meaning that they could still very well be on the Seoul Express, and the 'no visible sightings' of vehicles, just mean that people haven't seen the contents of the containers.

I realise I'm clutching at straws here, and my imagination is running wild, but hey... I'm 29 years old and dam- *oh shiny firetruck*.

I've read (on the UK TMC forum) the source vins are coming from a 3rd party and Tesla vin assignment are different. These are hidden vins - so the message is don't get too wrapped up in the vin number until it is visible. These hidden vins could change multiple times - that's likely why they are not visible, but still they provide good information for working out batch dates, and makes you feel your car is getting closer.

Yes. Re build date, they could be built before vin registered date. If so, it couldn't be much time (day(s)). The generally thinking there has been short production to port delivery times to get the cars away from the factory as quickly as possible as space is limited.

Now what I know for UK, and Triumph Ace vins - a 6 day window between vin reg and ship date - which was produced at almost the same times in July. (the week before) iI really reaffirms Seoul is not likely the one. A one day window is just a bit too early between vin reg batch date and ship date.

A little update. I went to Brisbane Tesla store today and asked a few questions. They confirmed that they will be getting a red and a white Model 3 Performance cars some time on the second half of next week for test drives. I will be doing the test drive on Saturday. All Australian Model 3 cars come with mud mats included and also HPWC, however we do not get a choice for the cable length as they only come in one length now. They know the first shipment is on the way, but they do not know exactly when it will arrive. They know that If an order would be placed today it should still make it to September delivery. The HPWC will arrive and be handed over with the car and cannot be delivered before. Even if the cars arrive at the same time they have limited delivery staff so the delivery will be prioritized by the reservation date getting first priority meaning that people who did not have reservation may get their cars up to couple of weeks later. They do not know if there will be any price changes coming to Australia or any option changes. They assured me that the towing option can be fitted after delivery same as it can be done currently for Model X. They do not know the price. They also know that Tesla is currently working on making a subscription available to get the premium connectivity, maps and Spotify for SR+, that we should be able to purchase/subscribe with yearly payment. They do not know when this will be available.

A little update. I went to Brisbane Tesla store today and asked a few questions. They confirmed that they will be getting a red and a white Model 3 Performance cars some time on the second half of next week for test drives. I will be doing the test drive on Saturday. All Australian Model 3 cars come with mud mats included and also HPWC, however we do not get a choice for the cable length as they only come in one length now. They know the first shipment is on the way, but they do not know exactly when it will arrive. They know that If an order would be placed today it should still make it to September delivery. The HPWC will arrive and be handed over with the car and cannot be delivered before. Even if the cars arrive at the same time they have limited delivery staff so the delivery will be prioritized by the reservation date getting first priority meaning that people who did not have reservation may get their cars up to couple of weeks later. They do not know if there will be any price changes coming to Australia or any option changes. They assured me that the towing option can be fitted after delivery same as it can be done currently for Model X. They do not know the price. They also know that Tesla is currently working on making a subscription available to get the premium connectivity, maps and Spotify for SR+, that we should be able to purchase/subscribe with yearly payment. They do not know when this will be available.

Thanks for the update. I have a M3P on order so I will book in a test drive this week at the Brisbane store. cheers

No phone calls yet for me :D

In any event, I probably would not take up the offer of a test drive. I understand that one has to pay a bond to do so, essentially the ‘excess’ for their insurance policy, so that if there is an at-fault accident, Tesla is not out of pocket.

While of course no-one would take a test drive and plan or expect to have an at-fault accident, stuff happens, and I’d rather not be $4k out of pocket or whatever the excess is if stuff did happen.

Happy for someone to tell me that is not correct and no bond needs to be paid.
You don't have to pay a bond but you do need to sign a contract saying you will pay the excess if you do have an accident, and yer it's about $4k for the S and X, not sure about the 3.

Let's face it, you're going to buy the car anyway and if you don't like the car you can still return it for a full refund within 7 days anyway according to Tesla.