Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The model 3 uses a pretty standard 12volt battery. You could walk down the road in Richmond and buy 50 of them. We know this is crap, seriously, it’s just an excuse which Tesla are great at. They couldnt make the date and this is an excuse close enough to the truth to try and make customers a bit happier. The cars will miss their August delivery dates. Late Sept for them all as expected.

For s#@s and giggles why don’t you ask to go have a look at your car while it sits for the delay. No driving required just a little sneak peek. If the car is there and simply waiting for a battery then there should be no issues right? I’ll put an expensive bottle of wine on the fact that I can predict the response and it won’t happen.

It’s a shame we’re being let down at this last leg of the long wait.
Regardless of the validity of the 12v battery business, I think it's perfectly sound for them to say "no" to you wanting to have a look. The cars are in a secure location that isn't set up for visitors, and having someone shepherd you around is time that they aren't using to fix batteries (or whatever it actually is).

Confirming details and scheduling in 23 September for collection date at Richmond in Melbourne.
White SR+, reservation Nov 2018, Order 31 May 2019, Pepper finance, no trade in.
Interesting thing is that my VIN 4491XX
Almost identical to me; Oct ‘18 reservation (earlier), Aug ‘19 order (later), white SR+ with 4491XX vin in Melbourne. Cash, no trade-in.
No call.
Might not even be able to pick up if offered delivery mid Sep’ ‘cause dear sensible wife says we need to test drive first and that’s going to be difficult to organize before end of Sep’. Worried that a delay will bump me off queue and I won’t have a vehicle ‘till Dec’. :-O

Last edited:
I might have seen your car tonight!

We were having dinner at Spit Shack in Mitchell (highly recommended!) and the whole family got pretty excited as a truck full of Model 3s trundled down the street and turned the corner in front of us!

Truck was fully loaded, most cars appears to have the 20” rims, at least 2 MSMs and a White one. There was also a white one up front with the aero wheels (I wish it were mine! I only ordered a week ago...)

Sorry about the potato photo, it was long range with my iPhone.

Exciting news aussieskibum, we’ll soon be seeing Model 3s in Canberra! the only thing wrong with your pic was it didn’t show our red SR+!!!!!! Congrats to all those lucky owners whose cars have arrived and hope you and your family get to have your car v soon. Thanks for the pic.

Reactions: 1st in Line
That advice from Tesla was in response to my request to remove FSD. They say it cannot be done because I ordered a unicorn!
That's bizarre. Two people on the Facebook did it, only warning they were given was that it could impact their delivery date. But it got done.

They know that it will save people $2850 of they ordered it after. Would be insane to order it earlier for performance and LR custom,er

Put on plugshare at the Richmond supercharger.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-08-30 at 8.57.12 PM .png
    Screen Shot 2019-08-30 at 8.57.12 PM .png
    794.4 KB · Views: 72
Now I know we have waited a long time for these cars, and are very excited, but to take out your frustration on these people is very uncool.

Whether you agree with the 12v battery problem or not, if/when you get the delayed delivery call, show some maturity and backbone, and don't vent on the messenger.

Well, to have taken the full funds for the vehicle, then re arranged another date, then cancelled delivery with NO confirmation on when the so-called 12v battery issue will be fixed, (the dates we have been given are not fixed). That is poor performance in anyone's books. All I have asked for was for the funds to be returned to my account until a vehicle is available. Tesla have refused - now that is rude! Anyone can apologize but its an empty apology if it is not backed up with actions.

That advice from Tesla was in response to my request to remove FSD. They say it cannot be done because I ordered a unicorn!
Hmm... I was always planning to get FSD right after delivery to avoid LCT, so I didn’t order it with my unicorn, I’m worried now that with the push out of my delivery date to 12th sep from 30th August, the FSD price will go up... might argue with Tesla in that case to see if I can still get it for the original price since the delay was their fault...

Well, to have taken the full funds for the vehicle, then re arranged another date, then cancelled delivery with NO confirmation on when the so-called 12v battery issue will be fixed, (the dates we have been given are not fixed). That is poor performance in anyone's books. All I have asked for was for the funds to be returned to my account until a vehicle is available. Tesla have refused - now that is rude! Anyone can apologize but its an empty apology if it is not backed up with actions.

Purely hypothetical question for the lawyers:

You should send the sheriff in to get your property since they won’t refund and they won’t deliver the car. I wonder hypothetically since the vehicle is paid, has title passed to you now?

Agreed, that is not right.

My point was that the people we talk to (Delivery) do not make these decisions (refund or 12v battery condition), so be civil to them, ask to talk to a manager, then let the manager know how you feel.

Just saw BAR-091 (White Dual motor) going down chapel st, beautful car!
Is it a test drive vehicle or did someone lucky in melbourne get one!?

I haen’t found it on vic roads yet. It is likely from the press/ demo range.

Although I did find bar088 as another sleeping demo car, completing the 21 press demo cars now known, all in sequential and now accounted for with no vin gaps

Reactions: baillies
Good luck with that! and btw Telaas are blaming the battery manufacturer for the fault not themselves. it'll be interesting to see if the battery's fail on the m3 vehicles delivered as they are surely from the same batch.
I guess even if it goes up by $1500-2000 I’m still better off ordering after delivery than before, but let’s see - I have a feeling the V10 upgrade will be delayed a bit longer since none of the FSD promises have been kept to date.

I’m a believer in the principles behind FSD, and think it can work well without kids run the future - just sceptical of the speed of improvement that Elon and the Tesla team are forecasting.

I guess even if it goes up by $1500-2000 I’m still better off ordering after delivery than before, but let’s see - I have a feeling the V10 upgrade will be delayed a bit longer since none of the FSD promises have been kept to date.

I’m a believer in the principles behind FSD, and think it can work well without kids run the future - just sceptical of the speed of improvement that Elon and the Tesla team are forecasting.

I am more concern about the conservative attitude of the authorities in Australia. Many FSD features are available overseas for years but they are still not approved in here.

I budgeted for FSD upgrade after delivery. However, I decided not to do it after I found out FSD is essentially the auto park.

Reactions: andygen21