Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fair play to Tesla, they called me back straight away.

I'm booked in for Sept 26th !!!

Rejoice!!!
I'll be interested to hear from you the build date on the invoice. I'd be surprised they were doing white delivery calls before the ship arrives. If the build date is before the 30 July, it made it on to Brotonne. I assume you are a 517xxx vin for white seats?

• Informative
Reactions: paul3
I am definitely not assuming all vins are allocated from a range.

That's right re how you describe it. They don't use all vins (actually quite a lot - eg Cap was over a 1000 vin range but was 500 vehicles). Vins are global and include LHD, but we don't have a specific RHD range either. The vins I am seeing in the data are mostly following sequence but there are outliers either way. Hopefully I am making that clear when I pick them up. But they are the exception rather than the norm in the data we have. The invoice is the ultimate proof.
Ah yes, just had a peek at your sheet, lots more info. I haven't had a look in quite a while.

Reactions: Vedaprime
Do you have examples you can link?
The only instance I have read is when a bloke put it them on his X & accidentally opened the falcon wing doors. So it wasn’t a load issue
There are threads in the main Model 3 forum on this, plus the Tesla site forum and one bike forum that I found. Probably more than a dozen reports. SeaSucker have changed their recommendation for mounting to have the rear suction cups on the metal of the boot. This works OK for a bike, not sure about skis. Terrible idea for a roof box.

You're doing a national launch and rollout of deliveries of a brand new model in a country...

Plan A:
  • Setup a call centre to handle the flood of enquiries.
  • Hire a team of people just to receive the calls and emails and answer questions.
  • Proactively call all customers with an order, thank them for their patience and give them an update. Even if it's just an approx range of dates that their car is most likely to arrive.

Plan B:
  • Leave the skeleton local staff to fend for themselves and try and do both the deliveries and communications.
  • Don't proactively communicate anything to customers who have an order.
  • Allow the frustrated customers to speculate wildly about their delivery, stalk cargo ships and whinge enough that maybe the "debacle" makes the news and you get free promotional coverage of the new model.

Yeah wife and I have been careful not to mention anything to anyone also. We'll just show up in it one day. I feel a bit weird about people seeing that we've spent so much on a car... So we get our furniture from hard rubbish and eat tinned beans a few nights a week, well, we just have different priorities; but they'll think we're loaded, even though this has been years in the saving.
Mate, you can sleep in your car, but you can’t drive your house! :D

I'll be interested to hear from you the build date on the invoice. I'd be surprised they were doing white delivery calls before the ship arrives. If the build date is before the 30 July, it made it on to Brotonne. I assume you are a 517xxx vin for white seats?

5171 VIN. Invoice should be here early next week they said.

I'll update when it pops into my account.

You're doing a national launch and rollout of deliveries of a brand new model in a country...

Plan A:
  • Setup a call centre to handle the flood of enquiries.
  • Hire a team of people just to receive the calls and emails and answer questions.
  • Proactively call all customers with an order, thank them for their patience and give them an update. Even if it's just an approx range of dates that their car is most likely to arrive.

Plan B:
  • Leave the skeleton local staff to fend for themselves and try and do both the deliveries and communications.
  • Don't proactively communicate anything to customers who have an order.
  • Allow the frustrated customers to speculate wildly about their delivery, stalk cargo ships and whinge enough that maybe the "debacle" makes the news and you get free promotional coverage of the new model.

Interestingly I was on hold trying to call Tesla back when they called me again. They must have incoming calls blocked for most of the team with only a skeleton staff answering while the rest make outbound calls.

As in January 2019 reservation?

Rage, building. A red veil mists my vision.

Yes, Jan 2019.

A reminder though you are Melbourne and I am Sydney. We know that they allocated stock to each State then rolled them out from there. I am sure there are other Melbourne customers that got in ahead of you, but my order hasn't affected yours. Small comfort I know.

Hidden (reappearing) VIN 4887XX NZ

Emailed Tesla delivery today to ask if I was likely to take delivery of my P3- in September. The reply was encouraging ...

"I would say most likely. Your vehicle is expected to arrive at the ports mid-September. We are expecting a huge amount so it does depend when in the order it is unloaded and then processed by our service team. We will be reaching out to customers on this vessel shortly to confirm Tesla account details and run you through the final steps. Not long to go now. Will talk soon."

So assuming my disappearing/reappearing VIN is correct and looking at TeslaCarriers TeslaCarriersAU-NZ the ship with 4887XX VIN series is the Melina due in Auckland on 16 September.

@Vedaprime does this compute?

I got this in my pick up confirmation email, it sounds like the existing staff are all hands on deck! We shouldn't underestimate the magnitude of a small team having to deal with their business growing exponentially overnight.

"Thanks for your time on the phone! We definitely appreciate your patience on this. We’re currently in the process of coordination thousands of deliveries around Australia and we literally have all hands on deck. We’ve grown the delivery team five-fold and have everyone you can imagine working on contacting as many customers as possible. We’ve got people from the charging development team, inside sales, store sales, marketing and even our National Director making these calls."

I got this in my pick up confirmation email, it sounds like the existing staff are all hands on deck! We shouldn't underestimate the magnitude of a small team having to deal with their business growing exponentially overnight.

"Thanks for your time on the phone! We definitely appreciate your patience on this. We’re currently in the process of coordination thousands of deliveries around Australia and we literally have all hands on deck. We’ve grown the delivery team five-fold and have everyone you can imagine working on contacting as many customers as possible. We’ve got people from the charging development team, inside sales, store sales, marketing and even our National Director making these calls."

Good to hear but... facepalm. It wasn't as though it was unexpected for the last few years

Even the data has been speaking logistics hell for a while now.

Reactions: MonicaPlease
Yeah wife and I have been careful not to mention anything to anyone also. We'll just show up in it one day. I feel a bit weird about people seeing that we've spent so much on a car... So we get our furniture from hard rubbish and eat tinned beans a few nights a week, well, we just have different priorities; but they'll think we're loaded, even though this has been years in the saving.

I probably feel a bit like you. I would never go as far as saying that I can actually "afford" a Model 3.

Just a little Dr Cooper type "fun fact" in this context:

I read some time ago that I think it was 88% of Model S drivers own their own houses, while only around 55% of Model 3 drivers do.

Given the still not insignificant cost of a Model 3, the implication is that some Model 3 owner prioritise EV ownership above owning a roof above their heads.

So you are not alone when you note that you have "different priorities"... and I too squirm when other people find out how much the Model 3 is (most recently my mother, after I had managed to keep it quiet from her for the last 3.5 years...).