Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I must strongly - with every fibre of my being - disagree with your comments about solar panels making more sense on houses than on cars. With that kind of starting point in your thinking, you are killing off progress and innovation.

More like directing it. It's simple mathematical fact that a car has vastly less surface area available than a house/roof. You have ~6 square meters to work with, assuming that you're able to utilize 100% of the exposed surface area. At current PV efficiencies you'd get a max output of ~1.2kW. Which really makes it difficult for the idea to be viable without solving the space problem first.

To do better you'd either need to make a major breakthrough in PV efficiency (get it up to ~80%, say; which as far as we know is not theoretically possible) or to find some other way of working around the limited surface area. Maybe the car could have a retractable mast array that it can deploy when parked, or something else that increases the total PV surface area when not driving.

But it's definitely correct that with current technologies it makes a lot more sense to focus on houses rather than on vehicles. And that focusing on vehicles has to involve something more innovative than just sticking our current generation of PV tech on them.

Last edited:
Swung by Autonexus in Perth today. Seems like they are in the process of cleaning the vehicles. The grotty black one with aero wheels and a red performance appear to be inside their workshop...or shipped out already?? Bit worried why some other Perth buyers have got their rego papers last week but nothing as yet for me. Managed to get a reply from Tesla confirming they've received payment but no other info forthcoming. Trying to keep the faith....View attachment 452489

The red one was delivered this morning. They guy posted his delivery in the model 3 Australia fb page.

**Spreadsheet Update**

You can now provide whether you have included FSD as an option pre-delivery in your configuration.

You can provide this information by editing your responses using your edit link.

If you've lost or didn't save your edit link, please email [email protected] and provide your timestamp as seen in the spreadsheet, and I can provide you with your edit link.

AUS / NZ Tesla Model 3 VIN Submission Form (Responses)

With data, we can see the unknown and make educated guesses instead of unknown speculation!

Thanks for taking the time to submit your data, every little piece helps so please keep the spreadsheet up to date and the data clean.

To quote the great engineer Scotty, "Ye cannae change the laws of physics, captain!" The maximum usable surface area of a car is maybe 6 square metres if you are lucky, which equates to under 2kW of generating capacity even at maximum theoretical efficiency of solar cells. At realistic efficiencies, we are looking at more like 1.2kW. This is not a lot, and modifying every panel to be covered in solar generating capacity is expensive and will make simple smash repairs a complete nightmare.

The same cost would put a system probably 5 times the size on a stationary structure that could be used to feed the grid, charge batteries of vehicles and generally produce an excellent carbon offset. Elon Musk has said as much in the past with respect to Tesla, and he is the sort of person who goes back to the underlying physics before discarding an idea.

This said, solar cells on mobile machines makes sense in many cases. For example, a standard refrigerated trailer (for a semi trailer) has a flat top of 24 square metres or more able to put out a conservative 4.8kW in full sun. This would be enough to offset much of the power (possibly even most) required to keep the contents cool, saving lots of CO2 and shitty unregulated emissions from the small diesels that usually power these.

As Martin Green highlights in his presentation, assuming a vehicle weight of ~600kg rather than the current 1,400kg (he is talking about a Toyota Prius as an example), the range per kWh for the Prius would increase from approximately 8.8km/kWh to 17.0 km/kWh, so with the measly 2.1kW per day, this gives a vehicle range of ~36km per day.

Given that average daily commute distances in Japan are ~34km/day, the car's solar panels could almost cover average consumption without the need for any charging via grid.

I believe Elon has a few immediate commercial projects on his plate that mean that he rightly does not see any immediate commercial justification for spending corporate R&D dollars on such an idea (though Toyota might).

I have little doubt that over time, solar PV will become more and more integrated into our environment. While we currently can only imagine it in discrete locations such as solar farms, rooftop solar installation or on watches and calculators, in future it will be built into out backpacks, clothing, building facades, AND car paint.

It will happen eventually and just like Elon almost single-handedly shaved decades off the transition to EVs, by getting an early start on the idea of solar paint, Professor Martin Green might help to accelerate the move to solar paint on cars by a few decades... while others are still building coal power stations.

I think you are the only 'ad nauseum (sic)' making that comment.
It is what all importers do except for top line units.
Tesla builds 'top line' units to order (or they used to).
The point is that they can do it differently (immediately once a car is built) and should be, especially when they took money for a reservation and a particular spec. The fact that they shouldn't because they don't is nonsense. I have been far from the only person here who thinks this.

• Disagree
Reactions: raynewman
It will happen eventually and just like Elon almost single-handedly shaved decades off the transition to EVs, by getting an early start on the idea of solar paint, Professor Martin Green might help to accelerate the move to solar paint on cars by a few decades... while others are still building coal power stations.

Your quote made me question that -- and now I'm sad at just how much capacity is even *planned* for power generated by burning coal.

Mapped: The world’s coal power plants in 2019

Your quote made me question that -- and now I'm sad at just how much capacity is even *planned* for power generated by burning coal.

Mapped: The world’s coal power plants in 2019

Yes, it is shocking. That is why everyone should try and get out on 20th September to protest:

Global Climate Strike → September 20-27

https://www.schoolstrike4climate.com/sept20

Sydney - September 20 Global Climate Strike

Climate strike 20 September - adults to join youth strikers across the world

Major bush fires in early September, Bahamas devastated, .... and yet we are building more coal power stations around the world.

How much longer, until people start connecting the dots?!?

Moderators Note:
Your post was moderated as it included a hypertext link and as your messages number is still low some restrictions apply, so the Forum Software automatically places the post into moderation and it won’t appear until I approve it.
Also note that even if the hyperlink was in the post you were replying to it is still counted by the software.
As you post more and your messages number rises the Forum software will lift the restrictions.
I have just approved your post.
Something to keep in mind for new members.
I have been manually approving a lot of new members posts for this exact reason and I cannot be online at all times.

Oops! Sorry, meloccom, I’ll keep that in mind. Thanks for your work - it’s a busy thread to mod!

As Martin Green highlights in his presentation, assuming a vehicle weight of ~600kg rather than the current 1,400kg (he is talking about a Toyota Prius as an example), the range per kWh for the Prius would increase from approximately 8.8km/kWh to 17.0 km/kWh, so with the measly 2.1kW per day, this gives a vehicle range of ~36km per day.

Given that average daily commute distances in Japan are ~34km/day, the car's solar panels could almost cover average consumption without the need for any charging via grid.

I believe Elon has a few immediate commercial projects on his plate that mean that he rightly does not see any immediate commercial justification for spending corporate R&D dollars on such an idea (though Toyota might).

I have little doubt that over time, solar PV will become more and more integrated into our environment. While we currently can only imagine it in discrete locations such as solar farms, rooftop solar installation or on watches and calculators, in future it will be built into out backpacks, clothing, building facades, AND car paint.

Back in the 70's when I was in an EDP class and using an ICL with the 1904A George OS, my lecturer stated that a computer will never be able to play chess. However, he was correct in pointing out how wrong the CEO of IBM had stated that his computers would never be suitable for domestic use.

Sorry in advance if this has been asked and answered already.

Took my delivery call last Wednesday, confirmed all details and they said they would send me the invoice in 2 business days.

2 business days in tesla language normally means 2 weeks.

But from everyone's experiences so far, how long after the delivery call should I get my invoice.

Take my money tesla.

Sorry in advance if this has been asked and answered already.

Took my delivery call last Wednesday, confirmed all details and they said they would send me the invoice in 2 business days.

2 business days in tesla language normally means 2 weeks.

But from everyone's experiences so far, how long after the delivery call should I get my invoice.

Take my money tesla.

I got my invoice this morning. About 3 business days after the call.

Reactions: Vedaprime
Hi WoodWombat

I too have had the privilege of having been one of Professor Green's students. I actually might have taken the very subject that you described in your post and I probably was one of his worst students ever [since I was a Mechanical Engineering student who become interested in solar cells].

I remember Professor Green talking about solar roof tiles 30 years ago... like the ones Tesla now manufactures.

I must strongly - with every fibre of my being - disagree with your comments about solar panels making more sense on houses than on cars. With that kind of starting point in your thinking, you are killing off progress and innovation. You suffocate people's imagination and their creativity. This kind of thinking leads to brain drain and is handing future technological breakthroughs to overseas competitors.

Yes, integrating PV solar cells into current generation EVs might seem far fetched and impractical. However, we are most likely talking about several decades of development of this concept - just like the PV roof tile idea. Who knows what EVs will look like in 20 years time. With advances in battery technology, a 2040 Tesla Model 3 might only weigh a few hundred kilogram. By then, the incremental cost of the "PV paint" might be so small, that - just like solar roof tiles now - it becomes financially compelling by then.

Unfortunately, I believe Australians have been conditioned over the last coupe of decades that unless something has an immediate financial benefit, it is not worth pursuing. Thank God, people like Professor Green and Elon Musk think decades ahead...
Yes but until the future lands, rooftop solar is the only viable option. There is a rollout solar mat invented for camping, but the charge rate is very slow.

Was supposed to pick up my SR+ tomorrow in Alexandria, however just got a call advising they are running behind and need another day.

Anyone else picking up tomorrow? Did you get the same call?

I was originally scheduled for today, then they called last Thursday to move it to tomorrow, and then this afternoon a different guy called again to move to Wednesday....

Reactions: MonicaPlease
**Spreadsheet Update**

You can now provide whether you have included FSD as an option pre-delivery in your configuration.

You can provide this information by editing your responses using your edit link.

If you've lost or didn't save your edit link, please email [email protected] and provide your timestamp as seen in the spreadsheet, and I can provide you with your edit link.

AUS / NZ Tesla Model 3 VIN Submission Form (Responses)

With data, we can see the unknown and make educated guesses instead of unknown speculation!

Thanks for taking the time to submit your data, every little piece helps so please keep the spreadsheet up to date and the data clean.

Done

• Love
Reactions: Random206