Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lots of nsw number plates in this range. Picture from twitter. ebo96c

Searching rego ranges comes up with a number of 4427xx 4429xx vins and 4430xx (blue sr+! - close to my vin number). I think we are seing the 12v battery cars being pushed out.

E9A74CC7-AF49-4B5A-825B-FBF0A7C357DB.jpeg

Last edited:

Searching rego ranges comes up with a number of 4427xx 4429xx vins and 4430xx (blue sr+! - close to my vin number). I think we are seing the 12v battery cars being pushed out.

View attachment 452731
Hmmm... based on this I may end up with an unintentional semi-custom plate for an Electric Blue Performance depending on the plate batch sizes Tesla has from the RMS. Though (hopefully) it is not likely to get as far as EBP03M!

I was also originally scheduled for today, then got a call on Thursday to reschedule for tomorrow and then got a call this afternoon to reschedule again. The rep claimed the batteries may arrive late tonight and they may not be able to replace them on time for tomorrow as they are fully booked.

Very frustrating as I had to change all my work commitments and plans for the third time (extremely inconvenient).

I am now scheduled for 12:30 on Wednesday and I will be extremely frustrated and probably not so nice, if they call me again to reschedule, as they can and should have pulled out a battery from a showroom car or cars scheduled for delivery after me (mine is a Black SR+ with VIN number 4427XX and build date of 10/07/2019).
Looks like Tesla are using NRMA for the CTP insurance (in NSW)

That would make sense given I think that's who also does the roadside assist. If only they could actually arrange some sort of deal for comprehensive insurance for NSW cars as well. The premiums quote are horrendous compared to other states.

View attachment 452731
I'm going to have to fight you for that 4430 blue SR+... I guess it'll either go south or north!

If these cars are indeed starting to move now, it's going to be hard not to just stare at my phone all day...

Reactions: Vedaprime
1255 days of patiently waiting, no more "leaving the sales team alone" who aren't actually delivering cars.

Spoke to old mate at Chadstone who I test drove a P100D with last year. He checked my order and confirmed a VIN was allocated. Couldn't officially confirm that my car was in the country because he wasn't part of the "delivery team" but anyway, thanks for confirming it is in the country. Also mentioned that Richmond are currently delivering 8 cars every hour. Not sure if that was Richmond VA or Richmond VIC o_O If they are really delivering 320 cars a week, pretty sure most of us would have cars by now...

12V battery delays and all, I'm struggling to understand why the people who are actually are getting delivery appointments are getting them scheduled for well into October. Surely from boat to customer should be no longer than 2 weeks.

Is anyone scheduled for delivery from Richmond this week?

• Informative
Reactions: WoodWombat
Firstly, Professor Green is an awesome chap. He actually taught the semiconductor physics class at UNSW when I was there. It was fascinating the way that he started with solar cells and then went on to topics such as bipolar junction transistors, describing then as "solar cells but with a wire where the sun should be". He inspired my interest in renewable power for decades.

As to solar panels on cars, there are economic and practical things at work here, the core being that for a vehicle like a Tesla, the surface area of the car and energy of the sun mean that you can't actually get a huge amount of power. You are much better off spending the money that your on-car solar setup would need on panels for your house which can then kill two birds with one stone.

The exception to this is for super-efficient vehicles such as those being made by companies like Lightyear and Sono motors or for large touring vehicles that can carry more and fancier panels. The latter tends to have larger surface areas and to sit for longer to charge.

Just following on from yesterday's discussion, I thought this was an interesting article from Forbes (not usually very pro Tesla):

The Secret Of Tesla’s Success Is Not Selling Cars: It’s Being Able To Anticipate The Future

I think the same applies to solar paint on EVs - i.e. not to look at the constraints and limitations that apply today, but picture where we want to be in the future and then think about what we need to do today, to make that future happen.

Richmond are currently delivering 8 cars every hour. Not sure if that was Richmond VA or Richmond VIC o_O If they are really delivering 320 cars a week, pretty sure most of us would have cars by now...

Is anyone scheduled for delivery from Richmond this week?
Looking at the Random206 spreadsheet, there are 44 people scheduled for a delivery from Richmond, 38 with black interiors, and of whom, just 15 have a delivery date. Even assuming that this represents only 5% of all Tesla model 3 deliveries, if they were actually delivering 8 vehicles per hour, they could deliver everyone's vehicles in 12 working days, which looking at the delivery dates, is before more than half who actually have delivery dates are taking delivery.

In other words, you are right to be sceptical on the 8/hour delivery rate. Perhaps 8 per day might be closer to the mark.

I have no idea what they are doing here, i am sure that they are all working hard, but I don' think that anyone is working very effectively, and as I have previously stated, this is the most opaque sales experience for any vehicle that I have ever had, and I have bought a lot of cars.

Are you also waiting for a P3D- ? There seems to be a shortage of these

Seems theoretically explainable by the delay getting the next ship into port. If it doesn't dock until essentially mid-September and you allow a couple weeks for customs/logistics/whatever and then some extra time to transport the cars over to Perth then mid-October looks like the earliest plausible delivery date even if all the cars are on the ANL Warrnambool.

For Perth/WA anyways. Hopefully the east coast gets earlier dates than that. :)

Reactions: Techno-phile
Looking at the Random206 spreadsheet, there are 44 people scheduled for a delivery from Richmond, 38 with black interiors, and of whom, just 15 have a delivery date. Even assuming that this represents only 5% of all Tesla model 3 deliveries, if they were actually delivering 8 vehicles per hour, they could deliver everyone's vehicles in 12 working days, which looking at the delivery dates, is before more than half who actually have delivery dates are taking delivery.

In other words, you are right to be sceptical on the 8/hour delivery rate. Perhaps 8 per day might be closer to the mark.

I have no idea what they are doing here, i am sure that they are all working hard, but I don' think that anyone is working very effectively, and as I have previously stated, this is the most opaque sales experience for any vehicle that I have ever had, and I have bought a lot of cars.
At the Auckland store, there was another TM3 parked in the next bay when we took delivery of ours, but no sign of its soon to be owners. And when we were back, briefly, a few days later, there were no cars in the delivery bay at all. So yes I would think that 8/day is much closer to the mark.

Swung by Autonexus in Perth today. Seems like they are in the process of cleaning the vehicles. The grotty black one with aero wheels and a red performance appear to be inside their workshop...or shipped out already?? Bit worried why some other Perth buyers have got their rego papers last week but nothing as yet for me. Managed to get a reply from Tesla confirming they've received payment but no other info forthcoming. Trying to keep the faith....View attachment 452489

If by rego papers, you're referring to the form you need to fill out to register the vehicle, I got those nearly two weeks ago on the 28th August. I sent them an email stating I had already paid in full and could they send me the registration papers. On the papers it had the autonexus address in canning value listed, that's how I found out about their location.

I wouldn't stress too much about this. as i say i had those papers done two weeks ago, but I'm still not scheduled in to the 20th (was the 16th, but I wasn't available on that day).

Reactions: Techno-phile
According to this: The future of legacy car manufacturers | The Driven the secret of Tesla's success is vertical integration. And it's also the reason why legacy auto will struggle. But the other thing is kind of important too.

I agree that there are probably many many things Tesla must have got right in order to be successful.

It is for this very reason that so many other new car manufacturers have failed.

Predicting the rise of EVs and looking decades into the future, is as critical to Tesla being successful as is the execution of its vertical integration strategy and last but not least its ability to generate positive cashflows before the market loses patience.

Slip up on any of these and you join the list of failed car manufacturers - or those who require government bailouts to survive.

To me - and in the context of "PV solar paint for EVs" - the very first step is the most important one. The one on which all others can subsequently build: i .e. picture the future, be able to differentiate between what is physically impossible and what is made seemingly impossible by the lack of imagination of your fellow global citizens.

I would bet money on EVs eventually having integrated PV solar paint to either completely or at least substantially recharge on-board batteries. Whether or not this will happen in my lifetime, depends on how many people like Professor Martin Green or Elon Musk share that vision and are willing to work towards that vision.

Reactions: TaylorP
So, I just got a call from Tesla Brisbane. They have a tentative proposed delivery date for 30/09/2019 @ 10AM for me. Things just got real, I was expecting this to take way longer, so trying to not get too excited as it is tentative and who knows may slip?
also this appeared in my Tesla account:
Delivery Appointment
Sept. 30, 2019 at 10:00 AM
Brisbane-Fortitude Valley
1062 Ann Street