Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In terms of supercharger loads, there is also the aspect of tesla slowly phasing out free supercharging. Yes, it's come and gone a bit, but I'd pick that on the whole it's on the way out. Once the free supercharging for life S/X start to be a much smaller proportion of the fleet, I'm picking you'll see a lot less local supercharging.

Anyone in Canberra willing to share their experiences with the new, slightly slimmer ACT style blue/white plates and how they look front and back? I'm willing to come to you and buy you lunch to take a squiz. :)

That and is anyone sporting 'euro style' plates to any success?
I must embark to Access Canberra (ACT's RMS/RTA) this week and choose some plates but would like to have an idea before going in there.

Actually the Ts & Cs disqualify you from using Supercharging if you ride-share

Privacy & Legal | Tesla

Well there you go, we should start paying more attention to the fine print! :D

Interestingly, the Tesla T&Cs do vindicate both parties of the original argument:
network of Supercharger stations to enable personal long distance travel and to provide a charging solution for those without immediate access to home or workplace charging

Ideally, we need superchargers on the outskirts of Melbourne on the M1 on both sides of Melbourne, as well as on the M31 and M8. Maybe the M79 as well. Far more space for larger charging stations, and no need for people driving through Melbourne to detour into the back streets of Richmond. The same could be said for Sydney as well.
Along Eastlink (M3) there is so many great opportunities to build a large charging set up (just like BP have those massive servos), of course it is a toll road but so much land available still. It is a good feeder into the M1 and if you are coming from the Euroa supercharger you can avoid the CBD entirely if you are heading out east (Lakes Entrance, Phillip Island etc).

I just asked Tesla Tom via twitter a.k.a ludicrousfeed to check in his wife’s car which they received a few days ago, to validate the dab radio thing once and for all.... so hang about hopefully we will get an answer soon.

It’s funny but rather understandable I suspect people are disappearing from this forum as soon as they get their model 3 cos of course they’re too busy out having fun driving their car hehehe....

I just asked Tesla Tom via twitter a.k.a ludicrousfeed to check in his wife’s car which they received a few days ago, to validate the dab radio thing once and for all.... so hang about hopefully we will get an answer soon.

It’s funny but rather understandable I suspect people are disappearing from this forum as soon as they get their model 3 cos of course they’re too busy out having fun driving their car hehehe....
Aussie cars don't have it. I've checked. UK cars definitely do. I've been in one.
I've started another thread about this so hopefully we can get a few people interested and then reach out to Tesla and ask them to enable it.

Because if the hardware and/or software is DAB only (not DAB+) it will serve no purpose unless you start a station broadcasting DAB
Kieranu, I doubt that DAB-only chipsets are even still available now, it is so ancient. Meaning no-one would be able to build a digital radio today that is DAB-only not DAB+. And as someone else said, a DAB+ chipset is backward compatible and can decode DAB broadcasts (but the reverse is not the case).

Given all of Europe is migrating from DAB to DAB+, there is 0% chance that Tesla has put in a DAB-only radio into Model 3. That would make no sense.

WorldDAB

Also, digital radios require hardware decoders. It’s not possible to do it purely in software, so if the digital radio hardware is not there, no OTA update will fix it.

Also, digital radios require hardware decoders. It’s not possible to do it purely in software, so if the digital radio hardware is not there, no OTA update will fix it.
Sure but if its built into the Tesla screen the interface has to be in software surely so it needs to integrate with DAB+ not just DAB. Hence why it could be they've already got it working in DAB (very few stations in Europe are DAB+ only) but haven't perfected in DAB. Just a thought given we are a tiny percentage of the market and Europe hasn't started turning off DAB so might have no rush to perfect a DAB+ front-end.

I could be completely wrong of course but was just a thought. Either that or it could be as suggested that due to the sparsity of Australian population DAB+ doesn't work that well in a lot of places. I live less than 10km north of Perth CBD and I've given up on it.

@WoodWombat sorry again but you need to learn to read properly. When did I say I was doing 400km in a day around Melbourne? If I am in the city for a meeting close by to the Richmond chargers, I would use it for a top up for 45 mins. As long as I am paying for it and a charger bay is available, I have every right to use it. If I am in another part of Melbourne, I'd obviously use a charger close to that destination.!
You need to learn better charger etiquette, and also to not insult people trying to have a rational discussion with you. It loses any respect you might otherwise have. I assumed that you were at least needing to charge because you were nearing the max range of your vehicle, driving around the city. Apparently, this is not the case. It appears that you are looking for a place to park, not a fast charge. This is exactly the sort of use which Tesla and others are trying to discourage.

Made payment today (for a Friday delivery). Haven't received anything from Tesla yet, but in the source code I now notice "paymentDate":"22\/9\/2019". I assume they're running on California time, which leads me to wonder if vehicles delivered on October 1 in Australia/NZ will roll into the September quarter number..

Made payment today (for a Friday delivery). Haven't received anything from Tesla yet, but in the source code I now notice "paymentDate":"22\/9\/2019". I assume they're running on California time, which leads me to wonder if vehicles delivered on October 1 in Australia/NZ will roll into the September quarter number..

My car is paid for, registered to me legally, just not handed over yet (will be soon) I wonder if that rolled into October when it would be counted as Q3 or Q4?

I got a call this morning confirming they had received payment and that my delivery for tomorrow was on time and on schedule, so perhaps they're doing that for everyone. The rep did mention that I'll be given 15 minutes and they'll go over the basics, set the driver profile and setup the phone key.

Anyone in Canberra willing to share their experiences with the new, slightly slimmer ACT style blue/white plates and how they look front and back? I'm willing to come to you and buy you lunch to take a squiz. :)

That and is anyone sporting 'euro style' plates to any success?
I must embark to Access Canberra (ACT's RMS/RTA) this week and choose some plates but would like to have an idea before going in there.

I don't think you'll have a choice to start with. I called up Access Canberra and they told me I would be issued with the standard plate on the spot. If I want any different kind of plates, I'd have to order them afterwards. I think I'll go with the slim black ones.

Sure but if its built into the Tesla screen the interface has to be in software surely so it needs to integrate with DAB+ not just DAB. Hence why it could be they've already got it working in DAB (very few stations in Europe are DAB+ only) but haven't perfected in DAB. Just a thought given we are a tiny percentage of the market and Europe hasn't started turning off DAB so might have no rush to perfect a DAB+ front-end.

I could be completely wrong of course but was just a thought. Either that or it could be as suggested that due to the sparsity of Australian population DAB+ doesn't work that well in a lot of places. I live less than 10km north of Perth CBD and I've given up on it.

In the UK it's DAB+

I've been using in my current car for the past 4 years and I find it much easier than FM. The station list is available in my Head up display and I can scroll through stations using steering wheel controls. It works everywhere in Sydney, all the way up the central coast.

Actually the Ts & Cs disqualify you from using Supercharging if you ride-share

Privacy & Legal | Tesla

I'd like to see them actually try to enforce that one. :)

Anyhow, if anyone is interested in insurance I arranged today via RACQ (went in-person to the local branch, as couldn't arrange via their website). Modified an existing policy, which came to $270 for coverage until the end of January. Annual charge is $1120 with a $1000 excess, windscreen cover, and hire car (after all discounts for other policies, driving record, etc.). The hire car option is only good for up to 14 days, so not as good as what some other insurers offer. Confirmed that "windscreen cover" works for all glass in the car.

Also did a comparison quote with AAMI, which was $1070 (after $50 online discount) with a $1750 excess, windscreen cover, and (unlimited) hire car. Depending upon whether or not repair times improve between now and the end of January I may switch policies at that point to get the better hire car cover.

Reactions: HighlyCharged