Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Superchargers were designed for travelling, with most charging to be done at home. Early on this was made clear but as time has gone on there is no mention of it in official literature - it is only alluded to when Tesla started to restrict charging times and implementing pay-per-use and idle fees.
Whilst, I am sure it is convenient for you it really isn't for those that actually need the charge to complete a journey and are forced to wait for your car. There has been considerable frustration in Sydney from those of us trying to get a charge, only to sit in the car waiting for bays that are taken by UBER and Hire Cars. Yes, technically that was the deal with unlimited supercharging, but is completely against the spirit of the arrangement. If everyone had the attitude like yourself that they can use the supercharger network for all charging needs (which we are all entitled to), the network will be hopelessly overloaded. Waiting for an hour before plugging in at every supercharger may change your mind..
There is also evidence that supercharging only, is bad for the battery and eventually Tesla has throttled supercharging speeds for these cars.
Well the problem here in Australia is that there is no on street charging infrastructure being deployed. So the large part of population that lives in apartments that do not have garages or off-street parking options do not have any charging options at home. In UK they have solved that problem by putting charge points on street light poles and street parking spots, but we have nothing like that planned. So for a large part of the population the only option is the superchargers and destination chargers. Since destination chargers take a really long time, then if you are not located for longer periods near those, your only option is superchargers. I know there are nowhere near enough superchargers here now, but since the quantity of Tesla vehicles is explosively expanding, they will need to expand the supercharger network accordingly to be able to cope with the extra load at least until our local infrastructure starts getting built.

If they actually wanted to it would be easy. Rego linked to VIN. Disable supercharging for car with that VIN.

Doubt they would want to do that any more than they'd want to not sell as many cars as they possibly can. :)

If they did, guess the next step is that the driver disputes either on the grounds that Tesla has no proof that they were ridesharing or that banning a customer from refueling (effectively) is an unfair business practice that severely restricts their ability to lawfully use the expensive vehicle that Tesla sold them.

Doubt they would want to do that any more than they'd want to not sell as many cars as they possibly can. :)

If they did, guess the next step is that the driver disputes either on the grounds that Tesla has no proof that they were ridesharing or that banning a customer from refueling (effectively) is an unfair business practice that severely restricts their ability to lawfully use the expensive vehicle that Tesla sold them.
If I'm not mistaken, most of the highest mileage Tesla vehicles in USA are used for taxi/ride share companies and there have been plenty of articles about them only using supercharging and so far we have not heard anyone being blocked from supercharging because of that.

Reactions: MonicaPlease
All true, just saying they could if they want. And they're not stopping them refuelling unless they can provide evidence that their circumstances mean they're unable to refuel using an alternative DC or AC charger. Also, Tesla has sold the Model S at a similar price without offering free Supercharging so that probably isn't a valid argument.

As Techno-phile has pointed out there is no Supercharger in Perth so should Model S owners be filing a dispute on that basis.

And Musk has never shied away from a lawsuit lol.

I don't think you'll have a choice to start with. I called up Access Canberra and they told me I would be issued with the standard plate on the spot. If I want any different kind of plates, I'd have to order them afterwards. I think I'll go with the slim black ones.

Hi Haza andGraz3r we went into Access Canberra in Gungahlin last Monday and DID have a choice of plates. We could have had the new slimline ones or the normal ones. We preferred the look of the slimline ones but when the person said the normal ones fit more vehicles we decided on the normal ones. Now I’m wondering if we did the right thing....what if the slimline would fit and look better? Can anyone who already has their M3 comment?
Also initially we were offered the normal sized plates with the “Canberra the bush capital” on. We asked if we could have the “Canberra the nation’s capital” types, at which the very obliging young woman went off and found us one from another box.
Hope you find the right one for you.

Reactions: Haza
New Article: the Driven.IO: The stunning Model 3 delivery numbers that will rock Australia’s car industry

The stunning Model 3 delivery numbers that will rock Australia's car industry | The Driven

The article states that: "the exact number – delivered in three ship cargos – is 2,414. ...... most of these are expected to be delivered in September."

Great stuff for Tesla and Teslarati in Aus. (but where's mine??? Still no Vin!!! Rats)
Going to love seeing Model 3's on our roads and making the ICE/FFC's look like outdated dinosaurs.

I suspect mine is definitely one of those NOT in the "expected to be delivered in Sept", sigh,

Hi Haza andGraz3r we went into Access Canberra in Gungahlin last Monday and DID have a choice of plates. We could have had the new slimline ones or the normal ones. We preferred the look of the slimline ones but when the person said the normal ones fit more vehicles we decided on the normal ones. Now I’m wondering if we did the right thing....what if the slimline would fit and look better? Can anyone who already has their M3 comment?

That's a good point. Maybe this could be answered by anyone who got the more traditional Vehicle registration plates of Australia - Wikipedia style plates. A pic of what they look like fitted would be handy as!

Boy oh boy, I've never had such a big smile on my face while running errands. Feeling blessed after spotting this SR+ at the Airport West 350kw chargers. Aero wheels actually look great in person and so does the black paint. If this was your car, 1st of all, I'm jealous and 2nd, don't worry about the saved sentry clips (it's only me walking around the car with awe and excitement).

Attachments

• IMG_3685 copy.jpg
    IMG_3685 copy.jpg
    549.7 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_3686.jpg
    IMG_3686.jpg
    403 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_3687 copy.jpg
    IMG_3687 copy.jpg
    611.6 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_3688 copy.jpg
    IMG_3688 copy.jpg
    601 KB · Views: 52
PERTH NOR
Got my LR AWD P+ early this morning. Looks like I was first for the week.
3 more on his run.
I think the driver mentioned ~another 10 this week.

Early, only spotted a small paint mark (already identified by freight guys) and I spotted the a undercar sill liner under the car had 1 plug out of place.
Otherwise, perfect new car condition.
More updates once work gets out of my way :D
tesla1.jpg
tesla2.jpg