Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The App currently does not work as my car is still listed as awaiting delivery since it came on a truck.

I think before you write a feature off as not working, you may want to contact Tesla and have them mark your vehicle as delivered. When it is in pre-delivery mode lots of strange things can occur. The bonus though is supercharging is totally free until they mark it as delivered...

On that note, is there any way to overwrite the speed limit? Autopilot refuses to speed up more than 10 kmh than the speed limit sign. Unfortunately in the outback a lot of speed limit signs are not mapped on google/openstreetmaps or whatever so the Model 3 always assumes the speedlimit is 50 which is annoying.
I remember reading here on TMC a while ago about some problems some Hawaiians were having. Similar situation to yours: speed limit data not available (if I recall correctly) so car defaults to 30 mph or something totally inappropriate. Meant that they basically couldn't use AutoPilot on that bit of road because they couldn't manually over-ride the (wrong, & too-low) default by a large enough margin.
No solution at the time other than to try to have the road data updated... Hope things have changed somehow since then; there's a new 40km/h zone near me and car always wants to do 60 (yeah different problem but still related).
On a positive note, I parked the Model 3 in my garage early on Saturday morning at 69%, and on Sunday afternoon when we got home, it was still on 69%. I refrained from opening the App while away, and don't have Sentry enabled. I notice that the Tesla widget (iPhone) doesn't wake the car if it's asleep, whereas opening the App appears to do so. Is that correct? Very useful, as I can look at the widget and it won't bother the car if it's asleep, but if my wife's on the way home (i.e. driving), then the widget does update and I can e.g. start making dinner.
Been taking neighbours for drives. Everyone has been really interested. They're impressed by the (SR+) acceleration and the young kids love the farts - much to the chagrin of my wife who doesn't like me showing them that 'feature' (while they're laughing hysterically).
Really enjoying this thing, in case that wasn't clear. :)

They're impressed by the (SR+) acceleration and the young kids love the farts - much to the chagrin of my wife who doesn't like me showing them that 'feature' (while they're laughing hysterically).

I turned on Emissions Testing Mode with my family in the car. My sister was in hysterics, almost to the point of crying with laughter, while my mother was begging me to turn it off.

What are your thoughts on battery drain with sentry mode when car is parked overnight? Wha sort of loss are you seeing? Asking because we are heading for Darwin in early Nov albeit only 4 days.

Never tried running it overnight, but from what I've seen in general I would definitely switch it off for anything over a week. 4 days probably fine as long as you don't need a ton of charge to get to/from the airport.

is there any way to overwrite the speed limit?

There seems to be...I've noticed on several occasions that I can dial up the AP max speed arbitrarily high (well beyond the normal +10kph limit, like to 140kph in a 100 zone). It doesn't always happen, and seems to be fairly random when it does. Aggressively scrolling the right wheel shortly after engaging AP seems to help, though honestly I have no idea why sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

Never tried it when the road in front of the car was clear, so no idea if the car would actually accelerate to the displayed limit if/when given the chance.

Omg anyone sat in their M3 as it has done an update. The bangs and resets of various systems are kinda scary. I thought something broke under the hood! If it had pistons I would have thought one just went through the bonnet (have actually seen this in a Ford Falcon 500 many years ago. LOL! Anyway second update of the days seems nearly finished. The black screen is kind of disconcerting though! I am hoping it has worked.

Omg anyone sat in their M3 as it has done an update. The bangs and resets of various systems are kinda scary. I thought something broke under the hood! If it had pistons I would have thought one just went through the bonnet (have actually seen this in a Ford Falcon 500 many years ago. LOL! Anyway second update of the days seems nearly finished. The black screen is kind of disconcerting though! I am hoping it has worked.

BTW it is great that Tunein supports ABC Newsradio. Without DAB was kind lost without it. :)

• Informative
Reactions: Hairyman

Same here with the latest update to 2019.21.12.2 Made clunks,various noises and then what sounded like the coolant pump being activated flat out gurgling for a couple of minutes. All updated ok. No specific release notes tho

Mine just started the 2019.21.12.2 update and I am now tossing up between going to listen or waiting? I think I'll wait rather not have all the unknown sounds to contemplate

hat's an easy problem to fix (I had it too) - it's the water fluid hose that has come loose and it's damn body at 80kph+.

To fix, simply pop the bonnet, then open up the service area at the top (it's just clipped in), and you'll see in the top left area (as you look at the car) the wipers cable and bottom of the wipers themselves. Now go into the car and put the wipers in service mode (it's in that menu and it makes them easier to fix), then go back and clip / reroute the plastic tube back through the clips up there.

Once done, before you clip everything back in place, test the wipers to make sure the water works and the movement is unhindered. After this, clip things in and you're good to go.

Hope this helps!
Perfect!! Thank you so much.

Just going back a few pages with regards to Sentry mode.. I posted almost 2 weeks ago after receiving my p3+ as I was concerned with excessive phantom drain when sentry mode was activated. I was using at least 2 percent per day and that was with the car parked in an underground car park with very little traffic.

I have just spent 4 days in hospital this week and my car was parked at home in the garage with sentry mode deactivated. My car used less than 2 percent battery in five days. I was waking the car up constantly via the app as it was the only thing I had to keep me sane whilst I recovered from pneumonia. Cheers.

Yes that is the correct adapter. However I bought the cable version as I am concerned that the amount of leverage the adapter puts on the charge port could eventually damage it. This is what I bought.
Type 1 to Type 2 Adapter

... concerned that the amount of leverage the adapter puts on the charge port could eventually damage it.

Adding to Mark's comment, the Type 1 to Type 2 adaptors (from JetCharge and others) are typically 0.6m long, so when plugged into the car the connection to the Type 1 plug 'hangs' just inches from the ground... the extra weight is suspended and adds to the pull on the charge port.
With this in mind I customized mine to 1.0m length, the connection now sits on the ground and I have enough 'slack' push it just under the car behind the rear wheel so as to minimize any trip hazard, a precautionary measure esp. in Shopping Centres.

Reactions: Hairyman
I remember reading here on TMC a while ago about some problems some Hawaiians were having. Similar situation to yours: speed limit data not available (if I recall correctly) so car defaults to 30 mph or something totally inappropriate. Meant that they basically couldn't use AutoPilot on that bit of road because they couldn't manually over-ride the (wrong, & too-low) default by a large enough margin.
No solution at the time other than to try to have the road data updated... Hope things have changed somehow since then; there's a new 40km/h zone near me and car always wants to do 60 (yeah different problem but still related).
On a positive note, I parked the Model 3 in my garage early on Saturday morning at 69%, and on Sunday afternoon when we got home, it was still on 69%. I refrained from opening the App while away, and don't have Sentry enabled. I notice that the Tesla widget (iPhone) doesn't wake the car if it's asleep, whereas opening the App appears to do so. Is that correct? Very useful, as I can look at the widget and it won't bother the car if it's asleep, but if my wife's on the way home (i.e. driving), then the widget does update and I can e.g. start making dinner.
Been taking neighbours for drives. Everyone has been really interested. They're impressed by the (SR+) acceleration and the young kids love the farts - much to the chagrin of my wife who doesn't like me showing them that 'feature' (while they're laughing hysterically).

yeah my car was transported from Brisbane over 10 days and only got 2% vampire drain!

I think before you write a feature off as not working, you may want to contact Tesla and have them mark your vehicle as delivered. When it is in pre-delivery mode lots of strange things can occur. The bonus though is supercharging is totally free until they mark it as delivered...

they thought the car would get her next week, the truck driver delivered early ha. im sure i will get a call tomorrow.
No point calling Tesla, they never pick up. Nearest supercharger is 2100km away so not much use to me haha.

When I first got my car, it had older V9 software. It got updated to V9 latest the next morning. With that software version I had really bad drain overnight on the car. Even though I had excluded home from Sentry mode, it still recorded in the garage and by next morning I had lost 6-7% every morning. I played around and got it to loss of 3% by morning by disabling Bluetooth on my phone. Now I have had 4 updates to newer V10 so far and it appears that all that drain stuff and disabling Bluetooth is behind me. After last update I left the Bluetooth on and did not manually disable the Sentry mode in the garage and the battery only lost 1% overnight. So even though they did not add useful release notes, it does appear they have fixed the drain on my car. I am on v10 2019.32.12.2 software now.